Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

PhilBiker

Just got an OEM Brinkmann Charmglow at Home Depot.

18 posts in this topic

My wife and I just had a deck built on our home. I put my 10 year old Cast Aluminum Kenmore grill on it, and with the new deck and furniture its dilapidation was sorely evident. The wheels were literally falling off, the wood slat shelves badly stained, and it was dropping rust all over our new deck. The aluminum U-shaped burner and lava rocks had been relpaced last season, so it cooked fairly well, but it looked awful and with the wheels falling off stability and safety were an issue.

I had originally planned on replacing it with a Weber S320 natural gas, since I have the natural gas hookup ready to go. However, financial -ahem- reallocation meant that my funds were extremely limited and a ~$800 grill + plumber connection just wasn't in the cards. However, the old grill really had to go.

So $80 on a Home Depot gift card, nothing to spend it on, and an in-store sale price of $258 meant that I went out and got a Charmglow 810-7440. Boy does it ever look spiffy! I don't think we'll use the Rotisserie kit, but it does a good job with burgers and chicken so far. Consumer reports didn't like the porcelain painted model's "uneven" temperatures, but I take their reports with a little bit of a grain of salt. (I wonder if the recent CR ratings and this model's low rating contributed to the extremely low closeout price / slow sales? Lots of people take CRs ratings as the word of God.)

Anyway, this is really a holdover till we build our patio, we'll probably do a built-in natural gas unit then, it will be about 5 years out.

So any tips with this model? With Brinkmann in general? Should I order normal wear replacement parts (grill surface) ahead of time assuming I plan on using this for at least 5 years?

My wife and I just had a deck built on our home. I put my 10 year old Cast Aluminum Kenmore grill on it, and with the new deck and furniture its dilapidation was sorely evident. The wheels were literally falling off, the wood slat shelves badly stained, and it was dropping rust all over our new deck. The aluminum U-shaped burner and lava rocks had been relpaced last season, so it cooked fairly well, but it looked awful and with the wheels falling off stability and safety were an issue.

I had originally planned on replacing it with a Weber S320 natural gas, since I have the natural gas hookup ready to go. However, financial -ahem- reallocation meant that my funds were extremely limited and a ~$800 grill + plumber connection just wasn't in the cards. However, the old grill really had to go.

So $80 on a Home Depot gift card, nothing to spend it on, and an in-store sale price of $258 meant that I went out and got a Charmglow 810-7440. Boy does it ever look spiffy! I don't think we'll use the Rotisserie kit, but it does a good job with burgers and chicken so far. Consumer reports didn't like the porcelain painted model's "uneven" temperatures, but I take their reports with a little bit of a grain of salt. (I wonder if the recent CR ratings and this model's low rating contributed to the extremely low closeout price / slow sales? Lots of people take CRs ratings as the word of God.)

Anyway, this is really a holdover till we build our patio, we'll probably do a built-in natural gas unit then, it will be about 5 years out.

So any tips with this model? With Brinkmann in general? Should I order normal wear replacement parts (grill surface) ahead of time assuming I plan on using this for at least 5 years?

Phil

How is your Charmglow holding up. Home Depot USA has brinkman building these to look like the Vermont castings they use to sell. I think that is a very bad thing to do to it's customers and i would like to know if anyone has had a good experience with the new Charmglow copies.

PhilBiker ...

Congratulations on the new Charmglow Grill! Was your grill made by Brinkmann or NexGrill? The Charmglow name was bought by Home Depot in 2005, and both Brinkmann and NexGrill have made grills under this name. Check on the grill nameplate [may be inside the door] ... it should state the manufacturer.

I think that for $258 you got a great deal! Cover, clean and maintain it and it should easily last you 5 years ... may be many more. :rolleyes:

Don't sell the rotisserie short ... once you rotisserie a chicken, or roast ... you'll be hooked! BIG WOW FACTOR!

Be careful caring for the porcelain coated grates ... don't use a steel brush or scraper ... you can damage the porcelain and promote rusting of the iron under the porcelain. Use a brass brush ... the hot grate/water dipped brass brush technique should work well. Same advice for the flame tamers IF they are porcelain covered also.

What is the warranty like?

Post picture and let us know how well it works out!

BG in WV

Follow-up...

I have decided that a natural gas grill may never happen. We just don't grill that often in my house. The Charmglow I got is definitely OEMed by Brinkmann. I'm still considering ordering some spare parts, as I tend to care for my grill. The old Kenmore cast aluminum cheapie was 10 years old when I replaced it, and it actually still cooked fairly well. I keep it covered all the time when it's not in use, use a nylon bristled brush to clean the grates, and always use oil on the grates when I cook.

After owning it for a year, I can say I absolutely love the way it cooks and the way it looks (I'll try to remember to post a picture some time soon). I completely see the "unevenness" of the cooking surface on high heat, but I don't mind it at all. The last steaks I grilled came out PERFECT! The porcelain covered cast iron sears beautifully. We cook a lot of grilled chicken and fish and for closed grill baking the grill works extremely well. The cart is extremely sturdy; very impressive build quality for the price I paid.

Complaints: The doors on the front are a couple millimeters uneven. Very small nit. The hookup to the gas sometimes has to be unscrewed then screwed back in between uses. It seems to come on slowly. Not very annoying, very minor nit.

I really like this grill, I'm glad it was poorly rated by Consumer Reports. I'm sure their rating system WAY too heavily favored evenness of cooking at high temps, because that is noticable but not really a problem. Heck, once you know where the "hot spots" are it makes it easier to cook for a few people who want their beef cooked more or less rare.

I wonder, could I use the rotisterrie for a pork loin? It may be difficult to put the long skinny piece of meat on the skewer, but man, I love pork loin!!!

I don't think I'll ever use the side burner.

Follow-up...

I have decided that a natural gas grill may never happen. We just don't grill that often in my house. The Charmglow I got is definitely OEMed by Brinkmann. I'm still considering ordering some spare parts, as I tend to care for my grill. The old Kenmore cast aluminum cheapie was 10 years old when I replaced it, and it actually still cooked fairly well. I keep it covered all the time when it's not in use, use a nylon bristled brush to clean the grates, and always use oil on the grates when I cook.

After owning it for a year, I can say I absolutely love the way it cooks and the way it looks (I'll try to remember to post a picture some time soon). I completely see the "unevenness" of the cooking surface on high heat, but I don't mind it at all. The last steaks I grilled came out PERFECT! The porcelain covered cast iron sears beautifully. We cook a lot of grilled chicken and fish and for closed grill baking the grill works extremely well. The cart is extremely sturdy; very impressive build quality for the price I paid.

Complaints: The doors on the front are a couple millimeters uneven. Very small nit. The hookup to the gas sometimes has to be unscrewed then screwed back in between uses. It seems to come on slowly. Not very annoying, very minor nit.

I really like this grill, I'm glad it was poorly rated by Consumer Reports. I'm sure their rating system WAY too heavily favored evenness of cooking at high temps, because that is noticable but not really a problem. Heck, once you know where the "hot spots" are it makes it easier to cook for a few people who want their beef cooked more or less rare.

I wonder, could I use the rotisterrie for a pork loin? It may be difficult to put the long skinny piece of meat on the skewer, but man, I love pork loin!!!

I don't think I'll ever use the side burner.

PhilBiker

Double check your grill.

I no that it says that it is OEM by brinkman, but it was made by Nexgrill.

My sister has one & I learned it the hard way. I use to know the nexgrill number & it may even be in an old thread.

With that said you should get 5 years out of the grill

PhilBiker,

I don't know if this will help, but these are 2 threads I did when I did my pork loins on the rotisserie. They came out great both times. I have a Char-Broil Quantum, so yours will probably cook a little differently than mine. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this works for me.

1st Rotisserie Pork Loin

2nd Rotisserie Pork Loin

Good Luck

Pat

A couple pictures of my Charmglow grill in action today!

Now that's a nice tease! :) Did they taste as good as they look?

I see lot's of school buses in the background. I suppose you could set up a sign and begin selling dogs and burgers and get that grill paid off in no time! School kids will be flocking over to your bbq stand real quick! :)

Mike

Mike's right. You're either going to have to start charging for the food, or electrify your fence. It looks like one of the fence pickets is loose in the background, so someone may already be trying to sneak in.

Did it taste as good as it looks?

Pat

Ha ha ha! I think the local rabbit population is responsible for the picket being off center. We had a big family cookout this year and I have a big family. Here's a better pic of me at work on the grill.

I think I may go online and order replacement parts. My old Kenmore I was able to keep going 11 years by keeping it covered and replacing the innards a couple times. This one won't take the standard size stuff and knowing these chinese manufacturers I probably won't be able to get replacement parts in a year or two.

Ha ha ha! I think the local rabbit population is responsible for the picket being off center. We had a big family cookout this year and I have a big family. Here's a better pic of me at work on the grill.

I think I may go online and order replacement parts. My old Kenmore I was able to keep going 11 years by keeping it covered and replacing the innards a couple times. This one won't take the standard size stuff and knowing these chinese manufacturers I probably won't be able to get replacement parts in a year or two.

Try here FIRST :)http://www.bbqsource-store.com/oscommerce/index.php

I like the load on your grill. It looks like mine at lunchtime (yep - I eat all that myself)! :)

That half full glass needs replenishing... :)

Mike

Phil,

You do definitely have a good looking selection going on the grill, including a couple of things on there that I'm having trouble identifying. And a great looking amber backing it up. ;) Sam Adams?

Drop in and say Hi occasionally,

Pat

Phil,

You do definitely have a good looking selection going on the grill, including a couple of things on there that I'm having trouble identifying. And a great looking amber backing it up. :P Sam Adams?

Drop in and say Hi occasionally,

Pat

I'll take a stab at it.

Hamburgers (duh)

Chicken (wings perhaps)

Veggie burgers? (maybe two pattys piled on each other on warming shelf)

Sausages - at least two different kind. Long Sweet Italian on warming shelf. Short spicey next to burgers. And maybe knockwurst (the white ones) unless they are the same as the others but were just added and as such not browning up yet?

And in the pot - maybe bbq sauce for the wings? Or perhaps baked beans?

The beer. Amber. That's all that matters. ;)

Hoping for a perfect score.... :) Mikey

You're probably right Mike,

I wasn't sure about the warming rack, but I first thought maybe he had some hot dogs staying warm up there. I just cant see under the rack on the right and what he has his tongs on well enough to guess.

Sausage use to be easy, but now it seems like every time I go to Sam's, Emeril or somebody else has a new specialty sausage out. I started to try some, but when I read the label, they had even more cholesterol and sodium than Italian or kielbasa.

Sure does look good though and something for everyone.

Pat

You're probably right Mike,

I wasn't sure about the warming rack, but I first thought maybe he had some hot dogs staying warm up there. I just cant see under the rack on the right and what he has his tongs on well enough to guess.

Sausage use to be easy, but now it seems like every time I go to Sam's, Emeril or somebody else has a new specialty sausage out. I started to try some, but when I read the label, they had even more cholesterol and sodium than Italian or kielbasa.

Sure does look good though and something for everyone.

Pat

I hear you on the sausage. I stay safe with just two. The sweet Italian sold in Costco. And a local meat market that makes their own - most of the restaurants in the area buy from them. No preservatives or additives. Sold only in 5 or 10 pound boxes. They are mild, but delicious. Not swamped with flavoring to cover up the lack of quality meats.

Not sure about the calorie count though.. ;)

Mike