Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cuskit

China Red: Back to the Future!

16 posts in this topic

Well, as much as I like to mix up weekend menus, I've gotta break tradition this weekend. The crowd is clamoring for more of the China Red Ribs I posted about last week, they're driving me nuts! Obviously I'm not gonna be off the hook unless I make more, so I'm off to Costco to pick up a few more racks to marinate overnight. Geez, were they that good? Apparantly my wife, daughter and another couple think so, they have been blabbing to everyone all week about these ribs, I'm getting swamped from local family and friends for samples! Blue Smoke ( http://www.bluesmoke-bbq.com/057_chinese_p...na_red_ribs.php ), thanks a lot! Oh well, I love grilling, so what the heck! I heartily recommend this recipe to everyone, it is one of the best results I've ever had with ribs (any style)!

Here's the pics for those who missed it last week:

China Red Ingredients:

Marinating China Reds:

Ready For China Reds:

China Reds On Grill:

Ready for Basting:

China Reds Glazed:

China Reds Plated:

Here we go again! Off to Costco! Think I'll also pick up either drumsticks or thighs, try them tonight? DeJeVu Mike

Doggone you Mike! I was not thinking about ribs at all this weekend. After our experiment last weekend between your Reds and my Singapores, I was going to give it a break from ribs - not so sure now. Wifey gone for a couple of weeks, so I can cook whatever I want as often as I want ! :)

Looking at the BlueSmoke site, it lists the ingredients for the Cha Siu marinade, but does not give the recipe - did you just wing it?.

Scott

Doggone you Mike! I was not thinking about ribs at all this weekend. After our experiment last weekend between your Reds and my Singapores, I was going to give it a break from ribs - not so sure now. Wifey gone for a couple of weeks, so I can cook whatever I want as often as I want ! :)

Looking at the BlueSmoke site, it lists the ingredients for the Cha Siu marinade, but does not give the recipe - did you just wing it?.

Scott

Scott,

Yes I did "wing it", adding a few extra touches. I'll post it a bit later, gotta run back to my shop for my camera (I'm grilling up some "teriyaki chicken" (my own recipe) tonight, and wanted to post pics.

Mike

Scott

Beach,

Here is how I did my China Reds:

China Red Ribs (Blue Smoke customized ala Mikey)

Marinade Ingredients (The following is enough for 3 racks of babyback ribs -I size them for gallon ziplocks):

1/2 cup red cooking sherry

3 tablespoon ketchup

2/3 cup hoisin sauce

2/3 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or garlic powder)

2 teaspoon red dye

2 teaspoon chinese 5-spice powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup water

PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients in a small pot and simmer for 10 minutes or until it begins to thicken.

Let cool for ten minutes

Chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour

Rib preparation:

Remove any excess fat from ribs

Remove membrane from bone side (if unable to remove, cut diagonal slots through membrane about 1/2 “ apart, just deep enough to score through membrane skin

Cut rack into manageable sizes (halves or thirds)

Rinse ribs in cool water to remove any loose matter

Blot dry

Place prepared ribs in “freezer” gallon size zip lock baggies

Pour equal amounts of chilled marinade in each baggy

Place baggy in refrigerator overnight (turn baggies over and knead so that marinade completely coats ribs - at least 2-3 times)

Remove marinated ribs from refrigerator at least one hour before grilling

Grill as per your usual methods

Mikey method as follows:

Place smoker chip box (I use apple - very sweet for ribs!) directly on burners

Preheat grill to 300 degrees

Place a drip tray full of water below cooking grate

Place ribs on cooking grate (bone side down)

Close lid - maintain smoke as per usual

Maintain temperature at @ 225 degrees for @ 2-1/2 to 3 hours

Be sure to keep drip tray full of water - ensures that ribs do not dry out

When ribs reach @ 150 -155 degrees, begin applying bbq sauce

My sauce is 1/2 cup of simmered marinade (fresh - not from marinade baggies) combined with another 1/2 cup of honey and 2 more tablespoons brown sugar, simmered until it begins to thicken.

Apply liberally each side for about 5-6 minutes - careful not to burn, you just want it to start to caramelize, not burn!

Remove ribs from grill, let rest for @ 10 minutes before serving

Add warmed leftover bbq sauce after cutting ribs into individual bone sections

As you can see, I've changed "Blue Smoke" a bit - kinda combined some of my past recipes/methods with theirs. It worked. I did use babybacks, I feel they are more tasty, more lean, and easier to work with. That's why I mentioned slitting the membrane - I usually have a really hard time removing it on babybacks! But slitting it allows the marinade to penetrate (I believe). Feel free to change whatever you like/dislike, I don't think subtle changes will make a big difference. I just finished setting up three racks (marinating right now in our refrigerator) for tomorrow (here we go again)! Mike

Beach,

Here is how I did my China Reds:........

Geez - don't ya just hate it when the people on this forum give you one or two word answers with hardly any detail? :)

Thanks Mike for what looks to be a great recipe! No ribs today - going to be nasty hot in Phx - here it is 6 am and its 95 deg, 48% humidity - then on to 111 this afternoon. I think any grilling done today will be the 10 minute dogs, brats or burger variety.

Hope your ribs are just as good as always!

Scott

Geez - don't ya just hate it when the people on this forum give you one or two word answers with hardly any detail? :)

Thanks Mike for what looks to be a great recipe! No ribs today - going to be nasty hot in Phx - here it is 6 am and its 95 deg, 48% humidity - then on to 111 this afternoon. I think any grilling done today will be the 10 minute dogs, brats or burger variety.

Hope your ribs are just as good as always!

Scott

Beach,

I don't know how you take those temps! We've just had a two day respite from mid nineties for a week and it felt like heaven to be down in the seventies. Today, well, back in mid to high eighties and I feel it's a scorcher!

I think I'm with you in the 10 minute menu! Seems like I haven't left that grill in forever! But, gotta be back on it 2:00 for a 5:00 dinner!

111?!?!? Geez, that's terrible!

Mike

Beach,

I don't know how you take those temps! We've just had a two day respite from mid nineties for a week and it felt like heaven to be down in the seventies. Today, well, back in mid to high eighties and I feel it's a scorcher!

I think I'm with you in the 10 minute menu! Seems like I haven't left that grill in forever! But, gotta be back on it 2:00 for a 5:00 dinner!

111?!?!? Geez, that's terrible!

Mike

Well - here it is - only 1:00pm and it just hit 111 - that is not good as the hottest part of the day usually doesn't occur until 4:00pm - ugh. We did have a nice week and a half where it never got above 95 - one day was only 85! Got out the sweatshirt that day!

I might just go out for dinner.....

Scott

Well, another weekend of grilling over and done with. I went through the same routine as last week, making China Red Ribs. Something a little different this time. When I picked up the ribs at Costco, they had no babybacks, but did have a few packages labeled "pork loin back ribs". I asked the butcher how these were different from babybacks. He explained that these WERE babybacks, but I could see that they were much larger (width - the length of each bone) and figured they were spare ribs. He said no. Well, upon getting home and opening the package (three racks in each package) I could see clearly that these are much larger than babybacks, but are cut exactly the same with no flap or excess fat, kinda like they were all cut and trimmed very nicely. Can anyone explain these to me, I have no confidence in that particular butchers knowledge at this point.

Anyway, I had them, this is what I had to work with. So, I prepared them as per my last weeks method:

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...ost&p=14234

I did make a small change, after they were on the grill for about 1/2 hour, I began coating them with pineapple juice every fifteen minutes or so. Then when it came time to glaze them, I used my same glaze, but added three tablespoons of applesauce to the simmering sauce. I also used applewood chips for the smoke trays.

Again, we loved the finished ribs. I had a few new faces this week for the meal, they were around just to try what they had been hearing about all week from my wife and daughter. None were disappointed, I actually felt they turned out much better, the pineapple juice really kept them very juicy, dripping with each mouthful! Very tender, much more meaty than last weeks babybacks (which in themselves were very meaty compared to those purchased outside of Costco). The comments were unanimous, much sweeter than last week, also had a nice tang (apple chips and applesauce). This will be my staple rib from now on. Of course, I'm going to take a break from ribs next week! :) I'm planning on a 15 pound rotisseried ham shank for next weekend.

Another exhausting day of grilling over and done, tired, but quite content and happy! Mike

Hey Mike -

They look fantastic again! Actually I have been using the pork loin back ribs as opposed to the baby backs. Not sure of the difference myself other than being a bit larger and more meat. Those are what I used on the Singapores last week.

Well, I didn't knuckle under to the 114 Poenix heat yesterday. Fired up the grill and cooked a boneless butterflied, teriyaki pork chop and a few diced potatoes with peppers an onions. Cold beer helped with the heat!

Scott

Hey Mike -

They look fantastic again! Actually I have been using the pork loin back ribs as opposed to the baby backs. Not sure of the difference myself other than being a bit larger and more meat. Those are what I used on the Singapores last week.

Well, I didn't knuckle under to the 114 Poenix heat yesterday. Fired up the grill and cooked a boneless butterflied, teriyaki pork chop and a few diced potatoes with peppers an onions. Cold beer helped with the heat!

Scott

Hey Scott, that looks great. Nice presentation too. I'll bet it tastes as good as it looks. ;) And cold beer even works in the Michigan heat too.

BillB

Hey Mike -

Scott

Beach,

That looks absolutely terrific! Your taters, onions and peppers make the meal!

Kudos for braving the heat! Nothing stops a true griller! So, did you need to fire up the grill? I would think the sun blasting it's 114 degree inferno on the ss hood would be enough heat to cook with! < chuckle >

Mike

Thanks Cusk and BillB - I'm not totally dumb - I wait until about 6:30 p and the grill is finally in the shade. From about 3:00 pm until then, it is in full sun and definitely can be used as a warming oven!

s

Well, another weekend of grilling over and done with. I went through the same routine as last week, making China Red Ribs. Something a little different this time. When I picked up the ribs at Costco, they had no babybacks, but did have a few packages labeled "pork loin back ribs". I asked the butcher how these were different from babybacks. He explained that these WERE babybacks, but I could see that they were much larger (width - the length of each bone) and figured they were spare ribs. He said no. Well, upon getting home and opening the package (three racks in each package) I could see clearly that these are much larger than babybacks, but are cut exactly the same with no flap or excess fat, kinda like they were all cut and trimmed very nicely. Can anyone explain these to me, I have no confidence in that particular butchers knowledge at this point.

Anyway, I had them, this is what I had to work with. So, I prepared them as per my last weeks method:

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...ost&p=14234

I did make a small change, after they were on the grill for about 1/2 hour, I began coating them with pineapple juice every fifteen minutes or so. Then when it came time to glaze them, I used my same glaze, but added three tablespoons of applesauce to the simmering sauce. I also used applewood chips for the smoke trays.

Again, we loved the finished ribs. I had a few new faces this week for the meal, they were around just to try what they had been hearing about all week from my wife and daughter. None were disappointed, I actually felt they turned out much better, the pineapple juice really kept them very juicy, dripping with each mouthful! Very tender, much more meaty than last weeks babybacks (which in themselves were very meaty compared to those purchased outside of Costco). The comments were unanimous, much sweeter than last week, also had a nice tang (apple chips and applesauce). This will be my staple rib from now on. Of course, I'm going to take a break from ribs next week! ;) I'm planning on a 15 pound rotisseried ham shank for next weekend.

Another exhausting day of grilling over and done, tired, but quite content and happy! Mike

It looks like you have the China Red down to perfection!!! :D:D

Great job -

It looks like you have the China Red down to perfection!!! :D:D

Great job -

Hike,

Thanks! Now, I'm studying up for a ham shank for this weekend. Last time I tried it was not the crowning success I'd hoped for. Much too dry! I'd like to rotisserie it, but I'm not sure of being able to insert the spit balanced well with the large bone-in. Hey, maybe bring home one of my 1/2" electrical drill bits, they're 18" long, more than enough to bore a hole for the spit! Hmmmmmmm. ;) I may just keep it in a large foil pan, up on my raised rack. My wife has it down to perfection inside with her oven, I'm trying to outdo her (theme from Mission Impossible comes to mind), I feel the grill can give it a taste you can't obtain in the oven. She does have an excellent "mustard/brown sugar" glaze that is awesome, but I'm thinking of dowsing it in pineapple juice every fifteen minutes or so, until towards the end when I apply the glaze (just after shearing the rind off). Of course, I'll also spear it with a couple dozen cloves also. Any advice? I've just gotta get this one down pat, leftover ham slices are my most favorite lunch meal, piled high on caraway seeded fresh rye sliced thick, lots of spicy brown mustard, accompanied by large, wedge slices of fresh garlic, deli style pickles. And a huge bowl of my wife's homemade macaroni salad! Ummmmmmm! Did I mention the ultra sweet baked beans? Hey, gotta get my mind back on this curved front dresser I'm building, my client won't want to hear of any delays due to conversations of food! :P Mike

Hike,

Thanks! Now, I'm studying up for a ham shank for this weekend. Last time I tried it was not the crowning success I'd hoped for. Much too dry! I'd like to rotisserie it, but I'm not sure of being able to insert the spit balanced well with the large bone-in. Hey, maybe bring home one of my 1/2" electrical drill bits, they're 18" long, more than enough to bore a hole for the spit! Hmmmmmmm. :blink: I may just keep it in a large foil pan, up on my raised rack. My wife has it down to perfection inside with her oven, I'm trying to outdo her (theme from Mission Impossible comes to mind), I feel the grill can give it a taste you can't obtain in the oven. She does have an excellent "mustard/brown sugar" glaze that is awesome, but I'm thinking of dowsing it in pineapple juice every fifteen minutes or so, until towards the end when I apply the glaze (just after shearing the rind off). Of course, I'll also spear it with a couple dozen cloves also. Any advice? I've just gotta get this one down pat, leftover ham slices are my most favorite lunch meal, piled high on caraway seeded fresh rye sliced thick, lots of spicy brown mustard, accompanied by large, wedge slices of fresh garlic, deli style pickles. And a huge bowl of my wife's homemade macaroni salad! Ummmmmmm! Did I mention the ultra sweet baked beans? Hey, gotta get my mind back on this curved front dresser I'm building, my client won't want to hear of any delays due to conversations of food! :P Mike

This is actually a reply to Mike's question on another thread, but felt it belongs here.

I took pictures of the 8 racks of ribs on the warming rack. But it is either still on the camera or was accidentally deleted when transferring other pictures to the computer. This was a rush job, because I was only planning on doing about 5 racks of ribs. 3 baby backs and 2 regular. Last minute increase in guest list, I had to get three more standard size slabs of ribs.

There was not enough room on the warming rack in its normal position, so I had to quickly rig up two wood block to support the warming rack in the middle of the grill. I was able to use two wire rib racks, the type that hold ribs on the edge. 4 slabs of ribs on each rack. So there was two sets of ribs place end to end. (I have the old 5 burner JA, 36" wide grates area).

Ribs came out very tasty, but texture were not consistent. This could have been good, since some like them falling off the bones, while other like a more firm texture. Baby backs were firm.

I believe 6 slabs is the most you can do at one time and maintain adequate spacing between the ribs.