Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bacardi

What type of cheese is used in mexican restaurants?

11 posts in this topic

I have a monthly lunchen at a different mexican restaurant. They always seem to use the same flavorful cheese in their tacos/quesadillas. It's white and melts very well. It's almost like a sauce when it's melted. I've asked the mexican waiters but they usually don't understand me and one just answered back, "mexican cheese"...A lot of good that does me, lol.

Any ideas? From an online search I've only found a cheese called quesadilla cheese that seems to fit the description. Also hoping this cheese is available at a regular super market.

I have a monthly lunchen at a different mexican restaurant. They always seem to use the same flavorful cheese in their tacos/quesadillas. It's white and melts very well. It's almost like a sauce when it's melted. I've asked the mexican waiters but they usually don't understand me and one just answered back, "mexican cheese"...A lot of good that does me, lol.

Any ideas? From an online search I've only found a cheese called quesadilla cheese that seems to fit the description. Also hoping this cheese is available at a regular super market.

Lots of different cheeses can be used but from what you describe, I would say Montery Jack--very mild, melts well, readily available in all markets and perfect for Quesadillas, which are flour tortillas, filled with the cheese and pan fried or grilled on both sides until the cheese melts. I would also add some green Ortega chilli (mild and aailable in cans), diced tomato and shrimp or crab pieces to the filling. You can use one tortilla and fold it or use two filling the bottom one entirely and covering with the second one.

Shelly

I found a good write up on this subject at...

Mexican Cheeses GourmetSleuth.com

most likely it is monterey jack

but it could be one of the following

Chihuahua

Asadero

Queso Fresco

Hmmm this gives me some ideas for our next grilled pizza.. :) off to the Mexican market.

NapaGrill

Chihuahua

Asadero

Queso Fresco

Not likely chihuahua as it is much more gooey and oily when heated; not like a sauce when melted.

I would say MJack as well due to availability and cost since the OP mentioned multiple restuarants.

Might be queso blanco, though.

Thanks for all the advice and that link!

I don't think it was MJ as I cook with KRAFT Pepper jack often. I understand KRAFT MJ will taste significantly to the gourmet stuff, but the cheese I wanting is very flavorful. Based on description and pictures I looked up, I'm going to try some Asadero.

I found a good write up on this subject at...

Mexican Cheeses GourmetSleuth.com

Chihuahua

Asadero

Queso Fresco

Hmmm this gives me some ideas for our next grilled pizza.. :) off to the Mexican market.

NapaGrill

Napa,

Sounds very intriguing. indeed! Hope you'll share this with us! Photos are a must!

I'm hoping that whenever Eric gets a little slower at work (or maybe Bluesin?), he can set us up with a dedicated "Grilled Pizza" forum! There's sure enough interest in this subject!

So...., let's see - some Monterey Jack, jalopeno peppers, salsa sauce, white chicken chunks, diced green & red tomatoes, definitely shredded scallions, okay, what am I missing? Oh - BIG pizza crust to spread all this out on! :) Close?

Mike

Napa,

Sounds very intriguing. indeed! Hope you'll share this with us! Photos are a must!

I'm hoping that whenever Eric gets a little slower at work (or maybe Bluesin?), he can set us up with a dedicated "Grilled Pizza" forum! There's sure enough interest in this subject!

So...., let's see - some Monterey Jack, jalopeno peppers, salsa sauce, white chicken chunks, diced green & red tomatoes, definitely shredded scallions, okay, what am I missing? Oh - BIG pizza crust to spread all this out on! :) Close?

Mike

"What am I missing...?"

Mariachi band!

Shelly

"What am I missing...?"

Mariachi band!

Shelly

I was aiming for a homemade chilatro/tomitillo based pesto for the sauce.. :), chicken, mozzalrello, monterey Jack and crumble of queso fresco.., tomatoes, green onions, roasted anehiem peppers. It's always a new invention in my kitchen... who needs recipies lol :)

I was aiming for a homemade chilatro/tomitillo based pesto for the sauce.. :), chicken, mozzalrello, monterey Jack and crumble of queso fresco.., tomatoes, green onions, roasted anehiem peppers. It's always a new invention in my kitchen... who needs recipies lol :)

Napa - Don't forget a little chorizo...it would go great with your cilantro/tomatillo pesto....hmmmm, I can taste it already!

Mike

Have you tried asking them for the name or Ask them to provide a sample packaging of the cheese? Most family owned restaurants are very friendly, and while some of them might considered their recipes a secret. They usually don't mind telling what ingredients are used.

There are to super Walmarts in my area and both sell this cheese. It is up front by the Deli and where they sell the hot foods. It is in a block and says famous Mexican recipe on it. They have plain and jalepanio. It is not exactly the same but close.