Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shelly

anybody use the weber sear burner yet?

7 posts in this topic

Is there anyone on the forum who owns the S-470 or the S-670?

Or has anyone used or seen a demo of the sear burner on the S-457 or the S-670 yet?

It's probably the only sear technology that I have not used, so far.

I know that the older Summit models (S-450 and S-650) can sear perfectly well but wonder if there is any advantage to their new sear station which puts the dedicated on/off 10k btu burner between two of the regular burners.

Shelly

Or has anyone used or seen a demo of the sear burner on the S-457 or the S-670 yet?

I know that the older Summit models (S-450 and S-650) can sear perfectly well but wonder if there is any advantage to their new sear station which puts the dedicated on/off 10k btu burner between two of the regular burners.

Shelly

I almost decided on a S-670, but based on what you say here, I am glad I saved myself $500!!! ;)

I almost decided on a S-670, but based on what you say here, I am glad I saved myself $500!!! ;)

Not sure what you read into my post but, basically, most grills out there can sear well, especially given enough time with the food on the grill in one spot on high heat. But sear stations are usually faster and hotter. And I'd prefer a grill with a searing area.

The Weber sear burner can be turned off after searing and then that grate area can be used in a normal fashion with the regular burners, something that the dedicated ir burners can't do.

The whole concept of the Weber sear station seems that it would work as good as, if not, better than other sear technologies, most of which now are the infra red types.

So I still hope that someone who has used it can share their experiences with us.

Shelly

Not sure what you read into my post but, basically, most grills out there can sear well, especially given enough time with the food on the grill in one spot on high heat. But sear stations are usually faster and hotter. And I'd prefer a grill with a searing area.

Sorry for the confusion - I agreed with your post. I figured that the S-650 I recently purchased would be able to sear just fine. Sure it won't do it as quickly as the S-670, but I just could not justify the extra cost! Perfectly happy with my S-650 instead.

Shelly

Well the good news is that I just purchased a S-470 :D The bad news is that it is still in the box ;)

We're doing several home remodel projects at once, so I'm not sure when I'll have it up and running. I plan to take some pictures though and report on the sear station!

BTW, I bought it from doitbest.com for $1599. All of the other online places had it for $200 more. Here is the link:

http://doitbest.com/Gas+grills-Weber-Steph...-sku-806927.dib

Unfortunately they only ship it to your nearest Do It Best hardware store. For me, that was about an hour's drive away.

Well the good news is that I just purchased a S-470 :D The bad news is that it is still in the box ;)

We're doing several home remodel projects at once, so I'm not sure when I'll have it up and running. I plan to take some pictures though and report on the sear station!

BTW, I bought it from doitbest.com for $1599. All of the other online places had it for $200 more. Here is the link:

http://doitbest.com/Gas+grills-Weber-Steph...-sku-806927.dib

Unfortunately they only ship it to your nearest Do It Best hardware store. For me, that was about an hour's drive away.

We all look forward to hearing about your experience with the 470.

Have you had the opportunity to use any infra red sear burners as yet for comparison?

Shelly

Well the good news is that I just purchased a S-470 :D The bad news is that it is still in the box :D

Bruzer,

I know how you feel! I bought my newest grill last April, it sat in the box on my deck for four weeks - a VERY LONG FOUR WEEKS I might add! ;)

Can't wait to hear from you once you have it set up, be sure to give us some closeups!

Mike