Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shelly

another custom raised rack for indirect cooking

19 posts in this topic

Here's an easy and inexpensive raised rack I made for my anticipated new Weber S-470 purchase at the end of the month.

It's a 14" x 24" porcelain rack with 4 5" machine bolts. I used two washers and two nuts to fasten each of these legs to the rack.

It's actually level, as well. :unsure:

Shelly

very cool Shelly...I like the close up of the corner....will help others wanting this...I may consider something like this once I see some of your creations :unsure:

Here's an easy and inexpensive raised rack I made for my anticipated new Weber S-470 purchase at the end of the month.

It's a 14" x 24" porcelain rack with 4 5" machine bolts. I used two washers and two nuts to fasten each of these legs to the rack.

It's actually level, as well. :lol:

Shelly

Yea, sure, after I spent most of an afternoon fabricating mine, NOW you come along and show me this most simplical (I just made up that word) method! :lol:

Very nice. Now - where's the rest of the grill? :unsure:

Mike

Yea, sure, after I spent most of an afternoon fabricating mine, NOW you come along and show me this most simplical (I just made up that word) method! :lol:

Very nice. Now - where's the rest of the grill? :unsure:

Mike

I don't need a grill. I took out my double Hibachi and this grate fits perfectly above it.

Now to get the Hibachi rotisserie attachment. :lol:

Shelly

Shelly

That looks really cool Shelly. After playing around last weekend (slow cooking a tritip on the narrow warming rack surface on my summit 450) I think I see why the need for the large elevated rack-I'll be watching with interest how this works out and how you use it :unsure:

I'm curious about the legs on this, can't figure if it will stand on top of the cooking grates, or get bolted to cooking grates, or stand on edges of the cookbox around the cooking grates, or something else?

Ken

That looks really cool Shelly. After playing around last weekend (slow cooking a tritip on the narrow warming rack surface on my summit 450) I think I see why the need for the large elevated rack-I'll be watching with interest how this works out and how you use it :unsure:

I'm curious about the legs on this, can't figure if it will stand on top of the cooking grates, or get bolted to cooking grates, or stand on edges of the cookbox around the cooking grates, or something else?

Ken

Ken,

I used 3/8" carriage bolts that were 5" or 6" long with the head down as the legs. They simply rest on top of th Weber grates without falling through. Easy as pie.

Shelly

Ken,

I used 3/8" carriage bolts that were 5" or 6" long with the head down as the legs. They simply rest on top of th Weber grates without falling through. Easy as pie.

Shelly

K.I.S.S. principle!

Very nice!!!!

you could put some tiles on top and get the pizza oven with out over cooking the bottom of the pies! with the elevated surface..

Pics pics pics!

Ken,

Shelly

Shelly,

I remembers this post on your modification for a smoker rack for your grill. I went to HD and found a rock grate 14" x 25" for $9.95. It is a heavy duty rack with a piece of sheet metal down the length of the center, which could be easy removed. This is the photo after using it this past weekend doing a brisket. I covered it in foil, and place the brisket on top. For this smoking, I only used two bolts, and rested the other side on the warming rack.

I will add the two bolts to the other side, and leave the warming rack off the grill. The extra width of the rack makes managing large items like a brisket or Boston Butt easy and I can move the dish away from the rear of the hood - more toward the center.

Thanks for the tip.

Hike

Shelly,

I remembers this post on your modification for a smoker rack for your grill. I went to HD and found a rock grate 14" x 25" for $9.95. It is a heavy duty rack with a piece of sheet metal down the length of the center, which could be easy removed. This is the photo after using it this past weekend doing a brisket. I covered it in foil, and place the brisket on top. For this smoking, I only used two bolts, and rested the other side on the warming rack.

I will add the two bolts to the other side, and leave the warming rack off the grill. The extra width of the rack makes managing large items like a brisket or Boston Butt easy and I can move the dish away from the rear of the hood - more toward the center.

Thanks for the tip.

Hike

Excellent stuff guys! With the cooking surface elevated, its much closer to the level of the hood thermo too so its probably pretty easy to keep track of grate temps without a separate surface thermo. Nice!

Excellent stuff guys! With the cooking surface elevated, its much closer to the level of the hood thermo too so its probably pretty easy to keep track of grate temps without a separate surface thermo. Nice!

I'm assuming these grill manufacturers should be calling us in the near future, our R&D department here on the Source should be an invaluable source (pun intended :lol: ) for them to develop new and critical parts for the new lines of grills each year! Heck, we should be compensated! :)

Very innovative, Hike!!! :lol:

Mike

thanks for the Great Idea here is what I made today I have yet to try it out, but it will get broken in soon.

I tossed my zinc plated bolts and nuts into the fire pit last night to burn off any zinc plating as I did not way to worry about it effecting the food.

it stand just about the same height as my small warming rack. total cost was right around $16 the grate was 14 and nuts and bolts were pretty cheap.

-=Jason=-

thanks for the Great Idea here is what I made today I have yet to try it out, but it will get broken in soon.

I tossed my zinc plated bolts and nuts into the fire pit last night to burn off any zinc plating as I did not way to worry about it effecting the food.

it stand just about the same height as my small warming rack. total cost was right around $16 the grate was 14 and nuts and bolts were pretty cheap.

-=Jason=-

Emm- I wonder if Shelly is expecting royalty payment. His mod was quick and simple and the extra width at the warming rack height sure makes queing a brisket or butt a lot easier on a gas grill. :lol:;)

Looking forward to your post of your first cook on it.

Hike

Emm- I wonder if Shelly is expecting royalty payment. His mod was quick and simple and the extra width at the warming rack height sure makes queing a brisket or butt a lot easier on a gas grill. :lol:;)

Looking forward to your post of your first cook on it.

Hike

the wife picked up a 3 pound Botton Round Roast

I wonder if a Botton Round Roast would cook well on this rack if so I'll be wanting a quick how to on cooking it.

-=Jason=-

Shelly

Hi Shelly,

Just wanted to thank you for this great idea! I finally got around to building it...looks pretty much identical to yours...I couldn't believe how much bolts were and the nuts etc. (@ home depot)

The rack was $23 and with the bolts, nuts, washers and tax..total was $47 which was a bit surprising but anyways...my wife and friends thought I was a genius for creating this until I told them it was an idea from a forum...so I guess I should pass on that they think you are a genius...this gonna be great for smoking I think..(maybe finally I'll get some deeper smoke flavour since smoke rises....I've used this already for potato wedges and chicken pieces...I'm excited to use it for ribs and many other items that require a slow cook.

I'll probably post some pictures later of the rack..

one think I've realized is if I'm using the lower grate as well, flipping items is a bit of a challenge (gloves needed or prepare for a burn)..and also the storage of this item

anyways thanks Shelly, I wish I was as creative as you!