Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Briant73

Charbroil Commercial 4 burner overview

31 posts in this topic

I have been reading over this forum and though there are a lot of owners of the Char-broil Quantum/Tec/Red grills posting I see very few posts by people using Char-Broils other model grills. I figured I'd post an overview of one of those other CB grills. A few weeks ago I purchased a Charbroil Commercial 4 burner+side burner grill from Lowes. I really hate to call this a review since I can only compare it to other grills I used and haven't done a lot of grilling with it yet. I do plan on coming back with updates and pictures.

History of grills used: Started on a simple Charmglow (NG) purchased around 1974 most likely from the local gas company (way back when, when it was almost the law to buy your products from the utility that provided the service). This grill lasted and lasted but was pretty sparse on options/features and after the side wood tray was rotted out, decided to replace. Since this Charmglow worked so well, another one was bought in the mid 80s but it was not made the same and lasted only a few years. After that experience talked to people, did some research and got a Weber Spirit 500. This grill still works well; a few years back replaced the burners, grates, and bars with new SS versions. The spirit 500 always was dependable and held up well but cooking on it was limited due to size and it's design. After firing it up last month noticed the left side was taking longer to cook than the right side, not sure what the problem is, may just need some maintenance but either way I decided it was time to upgrade to more space and features. One thing I'd like to add is that this Spirit was only a two burner design with side to side burners. I have found that I prefer front to back burners when over friend's houses for cookouts.

Research: I checked the latest Consumer Reports reviews as a starting point but was already had in mind a new larger Weber. Created a list of criteria for a new grill whcih was: decent cooking area, NG/LP convertible (current house has NG but am looking at moving and yes I could just get LP but I like the ease of a NG hookup and no tank fillups), side burner if price is right, enclosed cart, and wanted to keep the grill purchase under 750.00. With my criteria in mind I decided to talk to some people I know, these people do a decent amount of grilling and figured their advice could be helpful. Last but not least I did research grills on the internet. When all my preliminary research was done I had a list of grill choices consisting of models from Weber, Blue Ember, Jenn-air, and Char-broil. Jenn-air I like the way it looks and know someone who has had great luck with one but I decided against because I figure if spending that much I would stick with Weber and I read various stories of problems with customer service on Jen-air grills. Blue Ember I couldn't learn a lot about but read of problems with the grill and customer support and since I couldn't learn a lot it was out of consideration. Now my list was down to Weber and Char-Broil either the Genesis 310/320 or the CB Commercial 4 burner line. Weber has good build quality, warranty and customer support but the Genesis line was at limit of my budget and it employs the side to side burner configuration. Also after contacting Weber I learned there is no fuel conversion kit as of yet for their Genesis grills. I had spoken to a few Char-Nroil commercial grill owners (my Father being one) who had no complaints and seemed happy with their purcahse. When I did a search on the web I found a mixed bag of good and bad about their grills. A lot of the bad seemed to deal with Char-Broil grills that have IR burners which I was not going for but I still had to see things in person.

Shopping: Off to the stores to compare grills and see how they look in person. The Weber Genesis has very good build quality but the price was at my upper limit, the burner configuration is side to side, and currently there is no conversion kit for fuel source as of yet. So over to check out the Char-Broil commercial 4 burner grill with side burner and the next model up that adds a rotisserie burner. After some debate I decided on the regular model because I didn't feel like spending another hundred dollars for a rotisserie burner. Now I was focused on the 4 burner for $299.99 and after sometime in the store with it, I decided to take it home. I called over an associate who helped me get an unassembled grill, NG conversion kit, grill brush, SS cleaner and grill cover and off to home I went. The reasons I decided on the Charbroil - Dual Fuel conversion ready, though not excellent the build quality seems decent for a grill in it's price range, good reviews from people I know own them, front to back burners, plenty of cooking space, side burner and if I can get 5 plus years out of it I will be quite content with what I paid. Update - The model with the added rotiserrie burner is now only sixty dollars more.

Assembly: Got the grill into my vehicle, I would advise having someone to help because the box is bulky and heavy, and home I went. Took everything out of the box and inspected. This grill comes with only the firebox and lid assembled so some work needs to be done before you can grill on it. I decided to do most of the fuel conversion from propane to NG first which is pretty simple: remove the burners, unscrew 5 orifices from the valves with supplied tool, put back the burners, put on new bezels for the control knobs and unattach the lp line and attach the NG line (I did the line changeover after assembling the rest of the grill). It was late so waited until the next day when I put together the cart, placed the firebox/lid on said cart, added the shelves and tightened everything up. This assembly was not hard but I recommend having a second pair of hands and set aside some time to get it done. The reason I decided to do my own assembly was after surveying the already built grills at the store I didn't feel they were put together well and most had been left out in the elements for awhile. I suggest if you do buy a grill already assembled by the store, make sure to check over everything before you first use it.

What comes with it: Stainless lid, doors, control panel, and front of the shelves the rest is either painted steel or porcelain coated steel (firebox). The grates are poreclain coated iron and the warming rack is porecealin coated steel. The stainless is ok but not as shiny, flawless as the grills at two-three times the price and I tested with a magnet and it's the 400 series stainless, not 300. Trust me and spend some extra case to buy a cover and some stainless steel cleaner. Also I have read that even some of the expensive stainless steel grills have gone to the 400 stainless for most parts and that all SS grills require some effort to keep clean and looking good. The warranty according to my manual is lifetime on Burners, firebox and lid. Please note that I believe newer models have a lesser warranty where only the burners are lifetime.

Firing it up and trying out: Finally i'm ready fire it up which I do with great expectations and after 20 minutes you could say I'm one unhappy camper. The thermometer on the lid is registering 325f, my old Weber would get up to 550f or so by this time, also the flames look lower than I expected. I call it a night and decide to check things out the next day. Sometime during the night I a thought occurrs to me to try using an oven thermometer and place it in the grill to see what is happening temperature wise. Finally it's the next day and I can fire it up with an oven thermometer on the grates and close the lid to see what is going on. After 20 minutes I open it up and see the oven thermometer is pegged at it's limit of 600f even though the lid thermometer says 375f. So I decide to check it again by moving the oven thermometer to the warming rack and add another one(yes I own more than one, why? I have no idea) to double check the results, ten minutes later; open the lid and both are saying 600f. I decide to cook some bacon cheesburgers on it and everything goes well. So overall everything seems ok but I'm wondering why is that lid thermometer reading so low and am I getting proper flames?

Support Call:I call Char-Broil customer support, and after two minutes I'm talking to a live person and explain my problems with the grill, she tells me that the lid thermometer can read low but if the oven thermometer is reading 600f everything sounds good.. I finish the call and thank her, but I still want to double check things out. I wander over to this forum and start a new thread with my concerns; with most people saying they feel the grill is working fine. I'm feeling a lot better about the temp issue but still it's nagging me when I notice that a Char-Broil employee frquents this forum so I decide to send him a PM asking him about my concerns. He writes back the next day explaining how they are aware of lid thermometers reading low and that it sounds like everything is fine with the grill itself. He then tells me who to contact about the height of the flames so I contact the flame/fuel guru and he takes the time to work with me and assures me that everything seems to be working correctly. All three people from Char-broil were courteous, helpful, and a pleasure to talk to. Overall very happy with the support I received. My advice to anyone who buys a new gas grill and the lid thermometer seems to be reading low, try placing an oven thermometer inside it and check might save you some anguish.

Summary: So far I'm happy, the grill is performing as advertised, feels solid and the price point it was at is great. Time will tell about if it holds up and keeps performing as it should. I plan on updating, editing, and adding pictures to this when I get time.

Questions I now have: What is the best way to clean the coated iron grates? Currently I'm using a SS Brush Hawg brush- using the dip the brush in water and then scrub when the grill is running.

Sometimes food sticks to the grates when first put on, any good ideas around this?

Anyone have one of these grills and a Rotisserie? What rotisserie would you recommend?

I did all the oven thermometer tests with the lid closed, should I check with the lid open also?

I would like to add that all the grills I looked at were great grills, I just found this one to have the features I wanted at a price point that fit my budget.

Update 7-9-2009 - To anyone who owns this grill or any grill periodic maintenance is needed. If you plan on cleaning checking the burners periodically like you should remember this tip, the screws for the burners and carry over tubes hand tighten and then go a quarter turn back after you have tightened them. This will make it far easier to remove them in the future. So hand tighten the screws all the way and then back off a quarter turn.

Some questions I still have:

What is the best way to clean the coated iron grates? I'm using a SS Brush Hawg brush and doing the dipping it in water method when the grill is running.

Sometimes food sticks to the grates when first put on, any good ideas around this?

Anyone have one of these grills and a Rotisserie? If you do what do you recommend?

I did all the over thermometer tests with the lid closed, should I check with the lid open also?

Also to anyone who reads this I want you to know all the grills I looked at seemed to me to be nice grills, I just decided on this one.

Congratulations on the new grill! Glad to hear you are happy with it. The Charbroil Commercial Series grill does seem like a lot of grill for the money. If it gives you 5 trouble-free, happy grilling years, then it's a great value at $299. Do keep the board posted.

When cleaning porcelain coated cast iron grates, it is advisable to use a brass brush. Brass is softer than SS and prevents you from chipping the porcelain coating on the cast iron. Once it chips, moisture gets in and the iron will rust.

As for the food sticking, I assume you had the grill preheated nicely? Try rubbing the raw food item with a little oil, you can also rub the grates with an oiled paper towel. Do not move or touch the food immediately after putting it on the grill. Allow the food's surface that is in contact with the grill to form a crust (shouln't take more than a couple of minutes). At this point, it will naturally "release" itself from the grates. Same rules apply when searing meat in a pan. Allow it time to do it's thing. If you move or turn it too soon, it'll stick.

As for further oven therm tests with the lid open, I'm not sure I see the point. You know the grill gets hot to 600 at the grill surface and resting rack. It would be nice to get that hood temp to show a more accurate temp though. I can see a 50-75 F difference between grill and hood temps, but 225-275 is just too much. Either there is something wrong with the thermometer (hood or oven) or the grill design is very inefficient in terms of retaining heat.

Happy grilling!

Congratulations on the new grill! Glad to hear you are happy with it. The Charbroil Commercial Series grill does seem like a lot of grill for the money. If it gives you 5 trouble-free, happy grilling years, then it's a great value at $299. Do keep the board posted.

When cleaning porcelain coated cast iron grates, it is advisable to use a brass brush. Brass is softer than SS and prevents you from chipping the porcelain coating on the cast iron. Once it chips, moisture gets in and the iron will rust.

As for the food sticking, I assume you had the grill preheated nicely? Try rubbing the raw food item with a little oil, you can also rub the grates with an oiled paper towel. Do not move or touch the food immediately after putting it on the grill. Allow the food's surface that is in contact with the grill to form a crust (shouln't take more than a couple of minutes). At this point, it will naturally "release" itself from the grates. Same rules apply when searing meat in a pan. Allow it time to do it's thing. If you move or turn it too soon, it'll stick.

As for further oven therm tests with the lid open, I'm not sure I see the point. You know the grill gets hot to 600 at the grill surface and resting rack. It would be nice to get that hood temp to show a more accurate temp though. I can see a 50-75 F difference between grill and hood temps, but 225-275 is just too much. Either there is something wrong with the thermometer (hood or oven) or the grill design is very inefficient in terms of retaining heat.

Happy grilling!

Thermometer reading issue - I know that's why I called Charbroil and spoke to both a Customer Service rep, and their resident research and design guru about it. I tried three oven thermometers on top of the warming rack and they all read 550f plus, though one is so old it's hard to read but I can see the needle is where it should be. So far all food grilled has registered at the correct internal temps (I have a small meat thermometer I check with) and when I have thrown buns on the warming rack they are toasted within 30-60 seconds. Everyone at Char-broil seemed to know about the issue and did say they are working on it.

Food sticking - maybe I am turning too quick or need to apply a little oil. The brush I chose because Char-Broil site recommended that model and I did like the feature where I can change out the head with a new one when the bristles are worn down instead of paying for a whole new brush.

Thanks for the response/advice.

First update:I tried the oiling the grates first and so far pretty good results! I wanted to say that so far for the price I paid I'm impressed with this grill. The food I have grilled has been very good, I'll admit by the time it's ready I'm too hungry to stop and take pictures of the food, maybe someday though. The temperature of this grill seems just fine, the thermometer issue really isn't an issue you'll see why if you look at the pictures below. Please pardon the messy patio, haven't had a chance to cleanup and do any maintenace yet this spring.

A note to anyone who reads the Consumer Reports review of the grill, I have not found the control knobs to get hot, so far they seem to be at air temperature even with the grill on high for 20-25 minutes.

Improvements I'd like to see: Things I would either like added or changed - I wouldn't mind the stainless being more polished even if it's 400 stainless a nicer finish would be great. Utensil hooks on the side trays and maybe in the cabinet would be a nice addition as would a light source for when you open the lid. Also though it seems heavy enough and sturdy a little more beef to the cart and wheels would be great.

Now what is making me smile is I decided to test the grill with two different thermometers. First i took out the standard CB lid thermometer and replace with the old one from my Weber Spirit, then I tried out my new digital thermometer that has grill temperature probe which I put into the grill on the right side through the rotisserie hole about 1 1/2" in and several inches above the grates.

Replacement thermo around 550f

Digital thermo blanked out because it only goes to 700f (grill is on) (look at right hand column middle box for grill temp)

Digital thermo at 687f after turning grill off to get a reading

I finally decided to take a few seconds before eating and took some pictures of food prepared on the grill namely two T-bone steaks. It was late so that's why it seems dark around them. They were seasoned with some store bought steak rub and cooked to medium rare.

I finally decided to take a few seconds before eating and took some pictures of food prepared on the grill namely two T-bone steaks. It was late so that's why it seems dark around them. They were seasoned with some store bought steak rub and cooked to medium rare.

Briant73,

So sweet! Your diamond brands are perfect! I don't usually season with anything but S&P, but am not adverse to chomping into any steak regardless of the seasoning. I LUV steak any way I can get it!

Thanks for the great food shots, sometimes the spouses get in the way of grill photography - they just don't get it! :lol:

Mike

Update 2: Rotisserie and Cleaning of the grill

A week ago I saw Sears had the CB universal rotisserie on sale so decided to pick it up and add it to my grill. I have read a few other posts about problems getting the brackets to work with the grill correctly. My findings support this.

I looked over the instructions and saw what looked like the correct brackets for my style grill. The brackets went on easy and the lid closed with them on. Then I slid the motor on to the right bracket and that's when the problems started. With both brackets on the grill and lined up the rod from the motor to the other side angles downward because the motor sits higher so the other bracket needs raised to stay somewhat level. Also with the lid closed the rod was hitting against the top of the lid opening. I noticed on the other side that the inner parts of the bracket now that it was raised up were pushing against the side of the roof. So I thought about the problem for a bit and decided the motor needed to come down a bit. Also when opening the side burner cover it would hit the left side bracket. I detached the motor bracket and drilled two holes in it right above the lower holes. Put it back on and now it lowered the motor enough that the rod had clearance with the lid closed. Took off the other bracket, bent it in a bit and then cut down the inner sides to have less metal contacting the lid and put back on. Now everything was level and working right the rod had enough clearance, the side burner cover opened, the lid wasn't hitting much at all. Next day notice I forgot to put the warming rack back in, go to do that discover the next issue, that the bracket inner sides are not allowing the warming rack holders to slide over the side of the grill like they need to (mainly the left bracket). Take it off dremel a new center cutout put back on and now it's working much better. The brackets have the right design but sit too high in their original configuration to work well, some work with my Dremel and drill solved that.

As to cleaning the grill have been using soapy water and sponge, rinsing off, then applying CB stainless grill cleaner. The soapy water did an ok job cleaning off regular dirt but nothing for grease and smoke stains, the stainless cleaner left a greasy residue that within a few days looked bad. So I took the advice on this forum and bought some Barkeepers Friend and some WD40. I was amazed at what Barkeepers can do, the stainless on the grill looked better after using it than it did when it was still in the box. The WD40 seems to be less greasy than the other SS grill cleaner/protector I tried but haven't had it on their long enough so have to wait to see how it holds up.

I just bought a char broil commercial series 4 burner grill at Lowes. It started up perfectly, the only thing I can see that I am wondering about is the little rail that runs along the back of the grill that connects all the burners. I imagine that this is what carries the gas along allowing the other burners to light so easy. Here is the question, it seems that along this rail, between each burner, there seems to be a rather high flame. I havent cooked anything besides a sausage but I am sure that this will be a hot spot on the grill? After purchasing the grill and ignoring consumer reviews, I decided to read about this grills review and it doesnt seem too favorable. Another sore point is the heat distribution (or lack of it ) due to the tent like flame covers. Has anyone any problems with their grills? Thanks, Louis

I just bought a char broil commercial series 4 burner grill at Lowes. It started up perfectly, the only thing I can see that I am wondering about is the little rail that runs along the back of the grill that connects all the burners. I imagine that this is what carries the gas along allowing the other burners to light so easy. Here is the question, it seems that along this rail, between each burner, there seems to be a rather high flame. I havent cooked anything besides a sausage but I am sure that this will be a hot spot on the grill? After purchasing the grill and ignoring consumer reviews, I decided to read about this grills review and it doesnt seem too favorable. Another sore point is the heat distribution (or lack of it ) due to the tent like flame covers. Has anyone any problems with their grills? Thanks, Louis

As for the little rail, without a IR heat sensor type gun, hard to say if it gets hotter back there though it probably does but to what extent I don't know. Without this type of device the flame doesn't carry over to the other burners which is needed to light them (or individual ignition systems for each burner). As to the burner tents I like having them, my flare ups are few and when they do happen they are low scale. Consumer Reports rated this grill decent on eveness of heat levels but if you're experience is finding it hard to get consistent heat and grill on it, then you either have an issue or the grill just isn't cut out for what you need. My grilling so far has been as good as most grills I have used/seen. Just to note my old Weber spirit 500 has a bar connecting its two burners to let them light, and uses bars/tents between the burners and grates, these are designed more to asorb/give heat than the CB though which is more designed to deflect grease.

As for reviews, which reviews have you read? CR rates this grill highly every year though CR does get some things wrong and doesn't test for longetivity of grills. I wonder if you're referring to the Derrick at bbq.about.com? I noticed he just changed his site and is now saying Char-Broil has interesting tech and feels they might of turned the corner. I know he has rated the Blue Ember grill highly but I have read bad user reviews with parts and customer support.

The CB 4-burner which is a dollar shy of three hundred from lowes is probably not meant to last into double digit years but with with care and maintenance hopefully will last 5 and more. Weber might be worth checking out if you are having so-so grilling performance and are worried about your grills build quality, though with Weber you do pay more (the Genesis starts usually at $649+).

Thanks all for the great information on this grill. After some research, I picked one up this past weekend. I must agree with you about the issue with the thermometer (compared to my old Weber 2 burner grill). Hopefully they'll come out with a fix or provide us with a new thermometer.

One thing I was unsure about was seasoning the grill. I contacted support and this was their response:

Most of the grates that are used in Char-Broil grills are indeed either a matte finished, or a glossy finished porcelain coated cast iron. It seems that you have received the matte finish. Both grates function the exact same in every aspect except appearance. Porcelain coated cast iron, does not need to be seasoned by any means; however, seasoning them will not harm them. Thank you for contacting the grill service center.

I was planning on seasoning it with bacon grease but haven't done so yet. Has anyone else bothered seasoning theirs?

Another tip that I thought I'd pass along was to use a Sentry Marine Cloth (http://www.sentrysolutions.com/MarineTufCloth.shtml) to protect the Stainless Steel finish. My friend has used these for quite awhile with various metals and firearms and they should help protect the grill from the elements (even if you have a nice cover; I sometimes still get moisture after a lot of rain).

Brian

Thanks all for the great information on this grill. After some research, I picked one up this past weekend. I must agree with you about the issue with the thermometer (compared to my old Weber 2 burner grill). Hopefully they'll come out with a fix or provide us with a new thermometer.

One thing I was unsure about was seasoning the grill. I contacted support and this was their response:

Most of the grates that are used in Char-Broil grills are indeed either a matte finished, or a glossy finished porcelain coated cast iron. It seems that you have received the matte finish. Both grates function the exact same in every aspect except appearance. Porcelain coated cast iron, does not need to be seasoned by any means; however, seasoning them will not harm them. Thank you for contacting the grill service center.

I was planning on seasoning it with bacon grease but haven't done so yet. Has anyone else bothered seasoning theirs?

Another tip that I thought I'd pass along was to use a Sentry Marine Cloth (http://www.sentrysolutions.com/MarineTufCloth.shtml) to protect the Stainless Steel finish. My friend has used these for quite awhile with various metals and firearms and they should help protect the grill from the elements (even if you have a nice cover; I sometimes still get moisture after a lot of rain).

Brian

Glad you got a new grill and are happy! Though it must be dissapointing to have the lid thermometer work so poorly I'm releived a bit to hear it just isn't me. I did not season my grates, just been cleaning them with a brass brush that has the scrub side and water. I then spray on weber no stick grill spray so far it's worked well.

Glad you got a new grill and are happy! Though it must be dissapointing to have the lid thermometer work so poorly I'm releived a bit to hear it just isn't me. I did not season my grates, just been cleaning them with a brass brush that has the scrub side and water. I then spray on weber no stick grill spray so far it's worked well.

I spoke with customer service and got this response regarding the Thermometer:

Thank your for contacting the Grill Service Center. By our records we do not show a problem with temperature gauge that came with your grill. The temperature gauge that were faulty were on other types of grills. Would you still like to replace the temperature gauge?

It still doesn't show what my other thermometers show, so I'm not sure if their information is accurate. Any updates regarding your issue, Briant73?

I spoke with customer service and got this response regarding the Thermometer:

Thank your for contacting the Grill Service Center. By our records we do not show a problem with temperature gauge that came with your grill. The temperature gauge that were faulty were on other types of grills. Would you still like to replace the temperature gauge?

It still doesn't show what my other thermometers show, so I'm not sure if their information is accurate. Any updates regarding your issue, Briant73?

I checked with CB and they don't have a fix yet for the low temps so they CS seem not to know about it. There is nothing yet and may not be a fix for the lid thermometer for our models but maybe next years. I would recommend letting them know you have an issue, how you feel about the issue and what you want done. Write CB corporate and maybe lowes.

I came to this thread late, but have had a Char Broil Commercial Series four burner since 2004. I've always thought that the thermometer was out of whack. I could never get it over 400 degrees - and that was running all four burners full blast for over a half hour. My friend's Weber Spirit hits 500 degrees in about 6 minutes.

Last month, Char Broil replaced my burners (under warranty - for $8.95 shipping - wow!) and I was curious to see if the temps would rise faster and higher than with the old burners - no dice per the stock thermometer. However, a grill thermometer placed directly on the grill showed much higher readings - how much higher I'm not sure since it slipped out of my tongs when I tried to lift it for a reading and broke on my patio.

Last weekend, I swapped out the CB thermometer with one from Academy. I'll be curious to see if the temp readings are different.

Were your experiences of higher temperature readings after swapping out the standard thermometer borne out over subsequent cookings?

Thanks!

Pat Smith

Char Broil Commercial Series

Weber One Touch Silver 22"

Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker

Weber Smokey Joe

I came to this thread late, but have had a Char Broil Commercial Series four burner since 2004. I've always thought that the thermometer was out of whack. I could never get it over 400 degrees - and that was running all four burners full blast for over a half hour. My friend's Weber Spirit hits 500 degrees in about 6 minutes.

Last month, Char Broil replaced my burners (under warranty - for $8.95 shipping - wow!) and I was curious to see if the temps would rise faster and higher than with the old burners - no dice per the stock thermometer. However, a grill thermometer placed directly on the grill showed much higher readings - how much higher I'm not sure since it slipped out of my tongs when I tried to lift it for a reading and broke on my patio.

Last weekend, I swapped out the CB thermometer with one from Academy. I'll be curious to see if the temp readings are different.

Were your experiences of higher temperature readings after swapping out the standard thermometer borne out over subsequent cookings?

Thanks!

Pat Smith

Char Broil Commercial Series

Weber One Touch Silver 22"

Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker

Weber Smokey Joe

Pat

You have just learned the dirty little secret about grills.

Grills have two temps. There is the temp at the grate and then there is the temp at the lid.

Some mfg are better at reading temps than others.