Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucs_fan

Why do I make such a dammm mess?

7 posts in this topic

I have followed alot of advise from the site, but still I seem to make an insane mess of my grill (inside) when I cook. I am usually only doing steaks, chicken, and burgers, and I try to keep the sauces to a minimum, but I still make such a mess (my tamers catch on fire all the time). Any advise?

PS. When I use my PAM Grill spray, I pre-heat, turn off, spray, and then re-heat, and it creates one heck of a spoke storm. Is that normal. I still end up with a pretty filthy grate.

I have followed alot of advise from the site, but still I seem to make an insane mess of my grill (inside) when I cook.  I am usually only doing steaks, chicken, and burgers, and I try to keep the sauces to a minimum, but I still make such a mess (my tamers catch on fire all the time).  Any advise?

PS.  When I use my PAM Grill spray, I pre-heat, turn off, spray, and then re-heat, and it creates one heck of a spoke storm.  Is that normal.  I still end up with a pretty filthy grate.

Sure sounds like you are using too much sauce for one thing. You might consider cleaning the tamers before cooking. In addition, spray the pam on an old (clean) rag or paper towel and wipe on the warm grates (not scalding hot grates) When you use the spray on the grates directly the mist goes everywhere. I'm sure you'll get some more advice from some of our other members as well. Good luck.

I have followed alot of advise from the site, but still I seem to make an insane mess of my grill (inside) when I cook.  I am usually only doing steaks, chicken, and burgers, and I try to keep the sauces to a minimum, but I still make such a mess (my tamers catch on fire all the time).  Any advise?

PS.  When I use my PAM Grill spray, I pre-heat, turn off, spray, and then re-heat, and it creates one heck of a spoke storm.  Is that normal.  I still end up with a pretty filthy grate.

Hey bucs_fan,

Do you burn the grill off real good, after, or before you start to cook again? If you cook chicken a lot, it tends to have a large amounts of fat drippings that will make a grill very messy. If you do chicken on one side of the grill and the heat on the other, you'll have a fair amount of fat build-up on the no heat side. I recommend lots of heat after cooking because the grill is already hot.

Regards,

Bill

I also get a lot of flare-ups. But keeping the inside clean isn't that hard. I just keep the grill on high when I'm done, while I'm eating or I clean it the next time I fire it up. I leave it on high until everything basically turns to ash. This can take up to a half hour, but works well. Of course, the inside will never look "stainless" again (assuming you have a stainless grill).

Bucs_fan,

why don't you take some photos of what you are talking about, maybe we all have similar situations but don't consider it to be mess, just a result of grilling.

Here's what I do (similar to what everone else has already said):

1. Turn the grill on, full blast, all burners (no matter what I'm cooking or how hot I want it), close the lid.

2. When the thing stops smoking (usually about 10 minutes), I know most of the stuff has burned off, so I open the lid.

3. Using a grill brush, scrape down the grates to knock off any stuff that's remaining.

4. Rub a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil on the grate where I'm about to cook.

5. Drop the meat and close the lid.

I don't have a grill brush, I use a clean rug to remove the dirt from the grates. I didn't know that there are special grill brushes. Thanks for the nice list dabowsa. It was really helpful, because I am newbie in this field and thanks to your advice I gain more experience and knowledge!