Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ronald

Grilling Cookbooks

34 posts in this topic

For me Smokestack Lightning. It is less of a cook book, more of a tome on the origins, history and contemporary interpretation of what BBQ is to us today.

Personally I am a huge fan of Steve Raichlein.

I have his BBQ Bible, and the Sauces, rubs and Maranades Books.

I just found out he has an ongoing show on PBS in several markets called BBQ University.

He cooked a TEnnessee Pork Loin on the first show that I saw. I wnated to climb into the screen and eat it. I probably would have licked the screen if I though t I could have explained to my 4 yr old why he should never do that...

I have set the Tivo to record them all. Yesterday, I walked into the room and smelled BBQ at midnight, I looked up saw the Tivo was busy recording. After seeing how many episodes of BBQ U it had recorded, I deduced that the Tivo had burped up a little food, and that was what I smelled.

I highly reccomend doing a google search for the Show Barbecue Uninversity.

Carl

Kinda an old post but I'm fairly new so I'll post anyway. My bible in grilling is: "License to Grill" by Christopher Schlesinger. I've also got one from Time-Life I picked up used at a Goodwill Store that was printed in 1983. I've used alot off of that one as well but it would probably be a hard to find. I'm a big fan from TV of Rob Rainford of "License To Grill".

Allen

Don, Bluesin or Eric D,

This is kind of a request more than a post. I've thought about rekindling this thread, other than a couple of posts, it seems to have been dormant for a quite some time now.

I'd like to see an expansion of the breadth of the "book" resources by including webpages, I have used them myself for reference countless times to say the least. Off the top of my head, at least one website that I frequent quite often is here: http://bbq.about.com/ for not only great recipes and reviews, but other tips on bbq'ing, grills, methods, etc.

It was here that I really got my first introduction to plank cooking, specifically - fish on a plank. This page: http://bbq.about.com/od/fishandseafood/a/aa100204a.htm makes for an interesting study on beginning in the world of plank cooking, being a woodworker by trade it piqued my interest. I've had many successful meals prepared following recipes off this site, and plank fish has been one of my favorites. I've moved ahead from basic cedar planks, to alder, cherry, pear, apple, etc. to name a few, mostly fruit trees, although good old oak works well too. I'm presently experimenting with a new twist on the standard plank, I'll be posting pics and results in the near future (if it's as successful as I think it will be).

Anyway, I'd love to see this section of the boards populated with more posts, and I think that the Internet can provide tons of pages of good recipes, techniques and reviews. If nothing else - most don't cost anything to read, download and/or printout. So, if anyone has any favorite web pages, I for one would be happy to check them out.

I hope I'm not out of line with this suggestion (request), if I am, no problem. I'm not sure of your protocol to change and/or expand the scope of your excellent board here, and I hope I'm within your guidelines for posting ideas and furthering interests on specific topics.

Respectfully, Mike

Mike,

Are you looking for another forum, or perhaps to just have this one renamed to include "Web Links & Resources"?

I agree, there are a ton of web resources out there and getting them all rolled up for folks is a great idea. I use the bbq.about.com resource often myself...

Bluesin

Mike,

Are you looking for another forum, or perhaps to just have this one renamed to include "Web Links & Resources"?

I agree, there are a ton of web resources out there and getting them all rolled up for folks is a great idea. I use the bbq.about.com resource often myself...

Bluesin

Bluesin,

Thanks for the comeback. I don't feel it's necessary to add another forum, as you suggest, renaming should be sufficient. I've often wondered why "Cookbooks and Reviews" never went as far as most of the other forums. It seemed to start off with a bang, then just kinda stagnated and stayed in limbo. Perhaps adding the Web Links & Resources into the title might be a kick start for it. Many a post in the various forums here have included links to a resourceful page on the web, this would also help to consolidate those links in one spot.

I'm sure just about everyone out there has researched the general content of this board, and probably, like myself, has numerous bookmarks to favorite sites that we return to quite often (such as bbq.about.com), and could share those links with others. It seems like there are just way too many out there for any one of us to find some of the most useful ones, this could also save surfers a lot of time, pointing us to sites we may never discover on our own.

Thanks for your consideration. Mike

Hows that???

Bluesin

Hows that???

Bluesin

Bluesin,

I read "Hows that???", and smiled! Took all of 1 second to glance up at the title, it immediately brought a smile to my face. You are good, I'll give you that! Now lets see it take off. Thanks, Mike

I know it's been a while but here is another link for recipes

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/7580069052

Ronald,

Thanks loads for a great site! I personally enjoy these type recipes over "commercial" sites. I surfed through real quick just to get a handle on the content, and found this beef kabob recipe that I think I'll enjoy: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...52/m/6350089752

Nice research!

Mike

Just a heads up Steven Raichlens new bbq bible will be out in May. You can preorder on Amazon.

Brian

Just a heads up Steven Raichlens new bbq bible will be out in May. You can preorder on Amazon.

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know when his series begins again? I know he took a year off, and I'm not sure when that year is over. I do thoroughly enjoy his show, actually my favorite with Rob coming in a close second.

Mike

Top 5 Grilling Book:

1. How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbeque Techniques
  2. The Gas Grill Gourmet
  3. Marinades: The Secrets of Great Grilling
  4. Gas Grill Cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens
  5. Beer-Can Chicken and 74 Other Off-Beat Recipes for the Grill

Details, here.

Ron thanks for the link just what i need to get ideas from.

-=Jason=-

Jason

Did you check out the BBQ University website I posted