Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cuskit

Seaport Town - A Break from my Shop Routine

9 posts in this topic

Taking advantage of the beautiful weather, and as it IS a holiday weekend (I'm only working mornings Sat-Sun-Mon), I took a break from work and drove the mile from my shop to our local inlet. This is real therapy for me - I love the water more than most things in life, and really appreciate that I live within proximity of such beautiful scenery. I've spent probably 1/2 my life (away from my shop) either on the beaches, inlet jetties or on the water itself. Today I had no time or the opportunity to go boating (my boat is dry stored - for over 7 years now). :rolleyes: But - I did take an hour to visit and photograph some of what I have available so near to my home & shop. Posting so that those who don't often get to see such relaxing scenery can appreciate the views.

An hour this afternoon:

These are just a sampling of over 100 shots I took today... :rolleyes:

Mike

Taking advantage of the beautiful weather, and as it IS a holiday weekend (I'm only working mornings Sat-Sun-Mon), I took a break from work and drove the mile from my shop to our local inlet. This is real therapy for me - I love the water more than most things in life, and really appreciate that I live within proximity of such beautiful scenery. I've spent probably 1/2 my life (away from my shop) either on the beaches, inlet jetties or on the water itself. Today I had no time or the opportunity to go boating (my boat is dry stored - for over 7 years now). :rolleyes: But - I did take an hour to visit and photograph some of what I have available so near to my home & shop. Posting so that those who don't often get to see such relaxing scenery can appreciate the views.

An hour this afternoon:

Mike

Adding a few more shots. I just love anything nautical. I grew up here, and the sea salt is just in my veins. I can't ever imagine not living close by the sea.

Inlet Pictures on a balmy day.

Mike

An hour this afternoon:

Mike

STOP IT! YOU ARE KILLING ME! I want to go fishing so bad I can't stand it. OK! I'm going to have to go back to Alaska this summer, so there! Or I'll just come up to visit you!

STOP IT! YOU ARE KILLING ME! I want to go fishing so bad I can't stand it. OK! I'm going to have to go back to Alaska this summer, so there! Or I'll just come up to visit you!

I'd love to go to Alaska! The closest I guess I'll ever get is next weeks trip to Maine. Another seaport (Kennebunkport) that I'm looking forward to! If you are a Bush fan, you are welcome to join us! Perhaps he will let us hang out at his summer compound there.... Ummm, but I'm not partial to the Bush's.... :rolleyes:

Mike

I'd love to go to Alaska! The closest I guess I'll ever get is next weeks trip to Maine. Another seaport (Kennebunkport) that I'm looking forward to! If you are a Bush fan, you are welcome to join us! Perhaps he will let us hang out at his summer compound there.... Ummm, but I'm not partial to the Bush's.... :rolleyes:

Mike

Mike, you should have a good time up there. the only bad weather this week is Wednesday, Thursday. suppose to be sunny all weekend. Durango Kid

Mike, you should have a good time up there. the only bad weather this week is Wednesday, Thursday. suppose to be sunny all weekend. Durango Kid

kid,

I sure hope for good weather - I've waited 25 YEARS to make only the second vacation in my career! :rolleyes: Okay - not so bad - I've enjoyed literally unlimited 3 day weekends.... Usually the most I can steal away from my shop schedule. Though I think it's getting nearer the time I start taking more breaks....

Mike

Adding a few more shots. I just love anything nautical. I grew up here, and the sea salt is just in my veins. I can't ever imagine not living close by the sea.

Inlet Pictures on a balmy day.

Mike

Don,

As much as I love looking at other boats, my favorite nautical view was always off the stern of my boat. Nothing beats the feeling as you speed along at 60 miles per hour (okay - who knows what that is in knots?) and turn your head back to see this fantastic view? :)

View Off the Stern of "My S-Cape"

"My S-Cape" is the name of my boat. Right now it is doing a wonderful job of keeping the sun off of 234 square feet of lawn in my back yard... :lol:

In Blissfull Reminisce - Mike

Edit: 60 mph should be @ 52.5 knots, right?

Don,

As much as I love looking at other boats, my favorite nautical view was always off the stern of my boat. Nothing beats the feeling as you speed along at 60 miles per hour (okay - who knows what that is in knots?) and turn your head back to see this fantastic view? :)

View Off the Stern of "My S-Cape"

"My S-Cape" is the name of my boat. Right now it is doing a wonderful job of keeping the sun off of 234 square feet of lawn in my back yard... :lol:

In Blissfull Reminisce - Mike

Edit: 60 mph should be @ 52.5 knots, right?

1 fathom

= 6 feet

100 fathoms = 1 cable length

10 cable lengths = 1 nautical mile

1 nautical mile = 1.15 miles

3 nautical miles = 1 league

1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour = 1.15 miles per hour

10 chains = 1 furlong = 201.17 meters

60 nautical miles = 1 degree of a great circle of earth (longitude)

1 mile = 5,280 feet

1 nautical mile = 6080 feet

for informational purposes only. not a test Durango

1 fathom

= 6 feet

100 fathoms = 1 cable length

10 cable lengths = 1 nautical mile

1 nautical mile = 1.15 miles

3 nautical miles = 1 league

1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour = 1.15 miles per hour

10 chains = 1 furlong = 201.17 meters

60 nautical miles = 1 degree of a great circle of earth (longitude)

1 mile = 5,280 feet

1 nautical mile = 6080 feet

for informational purposes only. not a test Durango

durango kid,

Okay, so - 60 mph divided by 1.15 equals 52.2 knots. Is my math correct? If so - I was pretty much right on. I drive my boat by the seat of my pants. To judge speed I take several things into consideration. The wind on my face. The birds following above. The current as it strains against my hull. The height of my wake. The distance between my boat and my target. The volume of the siren of the marine police following me.... :lol::)

Actually, I do have a speedometer on the boat, it reads mph and kph, but I just watch my tach. That and the lift of my bow gives me a real sense in my speed. I give just enough tilt to raise me out of the water (getting on plane) high enough to keep propelling myself forward, yet deep enough not to cause cavitation with my prop. Incidentally, my boat is powered by a Chevy Marine 454 big block, humongous Holly 4 barrel, 330 hp with a Bravo One drive, sixteen inch SS prop. On a good day (flat seas and light winds) I can top out at 65 mph. But that also equates to 12 gallons per mile .... ;)

Thanks for the specs - somewhere I have charts that show all that info. But, having (kinda) retired from boating for a bit (busy at work?) these days I mostly look at charts now that show metric vs inches conversions, relative moisture content of wood, and calendar days of how late my projects will be.... ;)

Mike