Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

JohnNC

Completed my Jenn-Air Mods - $30

41 posts in this topic

Thanks to all you guys on this board, I completed the center divider mod and the other mods involving shutting down the huge gap between the covers when closed and also the rear louvered gaps.

I had all three pieces made from 304 stainless by my local sheet metal guy for $30. 

thanks for all the help

Hi,

After reading all the mods on this board, and to the different ideas, I follow most

of the methods that JohnNC did. Dimensions were adjusted for the 5 burner model.

I purchase all my ss sheetmetal and material from metalonline.com just for convenience. It cost a little more, but the material was heavier.

For the angle bar for the top gap I purchased the following SS bar.

Stainless T-316 Angle

1.25" x 1.25" x 0.125"

Cut to: 36"

This leaves a slight gap (1/8 in)at the top. This is a heavy weight angle bar and just sit on

top of the hood. It's actually very stable. I might bolt it down with SS screws later, but it fit pretty good just sitting there.

=============================================

For the sheet to cover the rear louvered gaps I purchased the following:

1 piece stainless T-304 Annealed 2B Sheet

0.06" (16 ga.)

Cut to: 6" x 33"

It actually is too tall (6"), but using #10-24 3/4 in screws and JohnCN method of mirrow clips,

I was able to make a tight fitting cover. Because the sheet is a little too tall. I had to use an extra nut between the clip and the sheet. This actually work out pretty good because the bottom sheet edge fits tight against the back of the grill with only a very small gap at the top.

It took about 10 minutes to drill the four holes for the screws to mount the mirrow clips

back without the mod

how the clip is mounted to the panel

how the cover is fitted to the back panel on the inside of the grill

====================================================

For the bottom divider I purchased the following material:

1 piece Stainless T-304 Annealed 2B sheet (14 ga)

Cut to: 6" x 20".

====================================================

This is my experience with the ventilation mods.

Prior to the mod, it would take about 20 minutes with all 5 burners to reach around 450 degrees on the hood. You could hardly tell the gauge was moving during the warmup. The grates were reaching about 650-700 degrees, and it would never get hot enough to turn the residure particle to ashes. Bushing still left the grate with a coating of particles.

After installation of the angle bracket and the rear louvered gap.

It took only 8 minutes to reach 425-450 on the hood gauge.

About 13 minutes to reach 500 and 16 minutes to reach 620 degrees. You could actually see the gauge moving.

The grates now are reaching 950-1000 with a laser instrutment reading. I was able to wire bush the grates clean in about 5 minutes down to the steel. It was working like a self-cleaning oven turning all the particles to ashes.

I cook a 14# pork roast with just the two end burners on, three middle off, in about an hour. the hood gauge was still indicating 450 degrees with just two burners.

===================================================

I also ordered a set of 5 #57 drill gauge from drillcity.com. this is one size smaller than the size recommended to convert to 15K burners. The drill bit that everyone is talking about can be found under propane bits. But the grill is grilling

so well now, I will just wait and see how well it continue to perform.

takeahike66

:)

Edited by takeahike66

Nice work on the mods. I have been very hesitant to do any of the flow restriction mods because I didn't want to void the warranty. But the amount of propane I'll save over the years will probably pay for the grill. So I figure...what the heck...let's do this. Also, the new grills hitting the market have these mods already done. My 4 burner gets the same results as yours did before you did your mods except my surface temps get a little hotter. In fact, the burners and flame tamers get so hot that they glow red when I shut them off. I have the 15k orifices also. I think if I shut the gaps down, I may have to put smaller orifices back in so it doesn't get too hot. Never thought I'd say that about these Jenn-Airs....too hot.

Nice work on the mods. I have been very hesitant to do any of the flow restriction mods because I didn't want to void the warranty. But the amount of propane I'll save over the years will probably pay for the grill. So I figure...what the heck...let's do this. Also, the new grills hitting the market have these mods already done. My 4 burner gets the same results as yours did before you did your mods except my surface temps get a little hotter. In fact, the burners and flame tamers get so hot that they glow red when I shut them off. I have the 15k orifices also. I think if I shut the gaps down, I may have to put smaller orifices back in so it doesn't get too hot. Never thought I'd say that about these Jenn-Airs....too hot.

Hi,

I may not have been clear on the drilling out. I purchases the bits, but did not drill out the orifices because the gap mod produced enough heat. With the 12K orifices, the flame tamers have never glow, but the grates are hotter now with just the two gap mods. :)

takeahike

The center divider is exactly to the drawing posted on this board (a little tighter so i don't have to bolt it in).

Where can I find this drawing?

Bill

Where can I find this drawing?

Bill

I could not find the original post that had the drawing, but here is a copy.

the original diagram:

my modification of it:

These dimensions were for the 05 model,

A lot has changed in the the 06, 07 and 08 models where the burners rest. there is a safety gas crossover along the firebox now, etc. So these dimension will not work for the bottom part of the divider.

Also, it is not as effective on the three burner model, but works very well on the 4 and the old 5 burner models.

Hike

the original diagram:

my modification of it:

A lot has changed in the the 06, 07 and 08 models where the burners rest. there is a safety gas crossover along the firebox now, etc. So these dimension will not work for the bottom part of the divider.

Also, it is not as effective on the three burner model, but works very well on the 4 and the old 5 burner models.

Hike

So the center divider only divides the firebox? correct, I was thinking it would go up to the cover, making two complete sections

in the grill. What exact advantage does this perform and would it be advantageous to have one divide up to the grill cover?

Bill

Don't even know if any of the old posters are still around, but my huge THANKS to them for the ideas to improve my heat on my beloved old 5-burner. Replaced the regulator (had a crimped hose from the "2 o'clock position" issue), and now added the 36" SS angle-iron. Got it from Online Metals, as others had suggested, for $17 + shipping. Laid it on top, in the gap (didn't even worry about bolting it down yet), fired up all 5 burners on high. Keep in mind my flame tamers were kinda dirty from the last 4-5 meals grilled, and usually don't run at their hottest unless I've fully cleaned my grill, but I could IMMEDIATELY tell the difference, as the original hood thermometer moved NOTICEABLY past 200, 300, 400, before I finally shut it off as it was still climbing to 500 degrees. I suspect that my hood thermometer is off, and will soon be replacing it with the Tel-Tru BQ-250, cuz this sucker was SMOKIN'!!! Turned all of the grease and etc. on the grates and flame-tamers to ASH within 15 minutes.

I had held off buying the rectangular piece of SS to block the rear vents, thinking I may not even need it. I'll get the new thermometer, and see what the temps are near my grates before doing anything else. Can't wait to try searing some RIBEYES on this baby this weekend!

I know this is an old posting but still could use your help. I cant' get your picture attachment to open on Barbeque Source so I can see them. They say they can't find the file. I'm new to this forum and this old posting would solve many of my problems that I have with my older JA / 4 burner plus a sear burner. Is it possible you can repost the pictures or is their someway for you to send them directly to me. I'm hoping you still have them or can tell me how to get them.

Thanks for your help.

Wild BillEmail me

Here are some pictures of the blank off plate to cover the rear vents.'t find the file

the piece is 5.5 by 27 with all sides hemmed. I fit small angles (mirror hangers) so you simply hang in on the vent openings. Attach in a few seconds, remove when you don't want to use it.

I would probably go 5.25 inch by 27 to give some more up and down room when trying to get the hooks to catch.

the original diagram:

my modification of it:

Hike

I'm still trying to get drawings,sketches or pictures of the modifications made for the 2004 - 2005 JennAir Grills. This would be for the Top Gap, The back vents and the divider panel between sections. I've tried everything that I know on the Barbeque Source but am unable to access any of the drawings or pics. that have been posted.

I would appreciate if you could send any info you still have to my email address if possible.. wfremer@att.net

Thanks in advance.

Bill / 305-607-0588

the original diagram:

my modification of it:

Hike