Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

22B

turn off propane tank valve after use?

5 posts in this topic

Do you guys just leave it on or turn it off as the manual suggests? Is it unsafe to leave the valve open after each use? I have been using the grill about every other day.

22B, for years (before I converted to NG) I always left my valve open. Pain in the butt to continuously open/close. I see the validity for closing (possible leak in a fitting, burst hose, etc.) but never had a problem. On the other hand, here in my cabinet shop, we ALWAYS CLOSE THE VALVE on our fork lift propane tanks as a safety precaution. I guess just because the lift is in indoors I worry more so than the grill which was located a safe distance from the house (@ 15 feet). Kind of a double standard, I know. But at the same time, my hot water heater, my gas furnace, my kitchen stove and my two fireplaces all have valves that do not get turned off. So............... Mike

Play it safe and turn it off at the tank and also to eliminate any "what ifs".

For safety YES, for necessity, no. It's your call. I shut mine off on my old grill but prior to my conversion on the JA I didn't shut it off.

It takes 10 seconds out of your day to open the valve at the tank and close it when you are done. Its worth 10 seconds for the piece of mind it gives me. It is a flamable substance. After all you do tighten your gas cap on your car after you fill it up :)