Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Ronald

In search of the perfect Hotdog

142 posts in this topic

Mike

I have had Hotdog #3 on this list and as I said before , I didnt care for the location and the dog wasnt close to being as good as a dog from the other places we have been taking about

Ronald,

You are talking about Jimmy Buff's Hot Dog? I've never had one - but I see they cook the dogs in hot oil. Yecht! Dogs MUST BE GRILLED! :) Well, some people love them boiled in with their saurekraut (like my folks) which is not too bad, but grilling with a crunchy crust is the ultimate, regardless of any/all toppings. IMHO anyway! ;)

I wasn't endorsing - just posting a link to keep the thread alive! :lol: Though I really should visit Jimmy's since it IS here in Jersey! Just as soon as I get a new Harley Davidson and go on a road trip - Jimmy Buff's will be on my list of "must see" stops! ;)

mike

I haven't been following this thread but see that it keeps going on and on.

Alice asked me to make a picnic for her and some friends who were going to see a play at an outdoor theater in Carmel tonight. Among the foods I prepared was a tangy mustard potato salad.

Well, potato salad and cole slaw are my two favorite hot dog toppings. For my dinner, I was planning to chose from among crab and vegetable stuffed garden peppers in 2009 vintage tomato sauce, crispy oven fried chicken, or beef stew, all leftovers from the week.

Instead, I had two grilled Casper hot dogs with Dijon and piled high with my potato salad. ;)

The good life!!!

Shelly

I haven't been following this thread but see that it keeps going on and on.

Alice asked me to make a picnic for her and some friends who were going to see a play at an outdoor theater in Carmel tonight. Among the foods I prepared was a tangy mustard potato salad.

Well, potato salad and cole slaw are my two favorite hot dog toppings. For my dinner, I was planning to chose from among crab and vegetable stuffed garden peppers in 2009 vintage tomato sauce, crispy oven fried chicken, or beef stew, all leftovers from the week.

Instead, I had two grilled Casper hot dogs with Dijon and piled high with my potato salad. ;)

The good life!!!

Shelly

Yep! Sometimes it's the simple things that uncomplicate life and make it such a treasure! :P

mike

Yep! Sometimes it's the simple things that uncomplicate life and make it such a treasure! :)

mike

Mike

Today I went to

http://www.hollyeats.com/AnnsDariCreme.htm

It is in Glen Burnie MD. between Baltimore & Annapolis.

I got a double footlong with everything.

Now I need a nap :P

Mike

Today I went to

http://www.hollyeats.com/AnnsDariCreme.htm

It is in Glen Burnie MD. between Baltimore & Annapolis.

I got a double footlong with everything.

Now I need a nap :)

I just passed a Wendy's on the way back from a clients, got a large chili for $1.99. Now I want a nap...

Those hot dogs look good - reminds me of the place in Maine. Simple menu, good food. That's all you need. :P

mike

we need to figure out how to have fun without pissing on every ones thread though? I am starting to feel bad, we are talking about cameras and before you know it my niece is making breakfast at Shelly's house and your wife is being offered in exchange for a mixer, as fun as it is maybe you and I should have our own thread where we can exchange insults :lol:

Nah. Just let things ride. Nature has a way of correcting things herself...

Back on topic: The Staggs chili I buy at Costco is not a bad "store bought" canned goods. It has chunks of sirloin and gives quite a kick as it also contains jalepenos. Even Patty likes it - she'll use it to top her hot dogs on occasion.

Which is another direction that is upsetting us. We've always catered to buying the Thuman's all beef hot dogs locally, they've been (up to recently) a wonderful, tasty, natural casing hot dog. But something has changed with them, where in the past they were plump when cooked, the past few months we've noticed they stay very, very skinny. Not what we look for in a hot dog. So now we are looking to find another brand. But we don't want to start eating those that are made of all the waste carcases of rats and whatever else they usually make hot dogs with, at least we knew the Thuman's were a level above that. Thinking about purchasing Windmill hot dogs, sold in our local Foodtown supermarket. They don't sell the Casper brand that Shelly touts about. Any suggestions for a good one? Yea - I know. We have a special forum on just this subject. Later in the morning I'll move this over. :lol:

mikey

Nah. Just let things ride. Nature has a way of correcting things herself...

Back on topic: The Staggs chili I buy at Costco is not a bad "store bought" canned goods. It has chunks of sirloin and gives quite a kick as it also contains jalepenos. Even Patty likes it - she'll use it to top her hot dogs on occasion.

Which is another direction that is upsetting us. We've always catered to buying the Thuman's all beef hot dogs locally, they've been (up to recently) a wonderful, tasty, natural casing hot dog. But something has changed with them, where in the past they were plump when cooked, the past few months we've noticed they stay very, very skinny. Not what we look for in a hot dog. So now we are looking to find another brand. But we don't want to start eating those that are made of all the waste carcases of rats and whatever else they usually make hot dogs with, at least we knew the Thuman's were a level above that. Thinking about purchasing Windmill hot dogs, sold in our local Foodtown supermarket. They don't sell the Casper brand that Shelly touts about. Any suggestions for a good one? Yea - I know. We have a special forum on just this subject. Later in the morning I'll move this over. :lol:

mikey

Mike have you tried the Hebrew Nationals?

jim

Mike have you tried the Hebrew Nationals?

jim

Yes - they weren't too bad, but I felt they left too much of an "after taste".

Years ago we used to just buy the ballpark, they were very fat, more like a sausage. But today's are terrible, and I don't want to think about what's inside of theirs anymore. What I'm looking for is one of those that have just meat - not all the trash left over after processing the cows and pigs, etc. Aren't there any of those around anymore? Geez...

mike

I'm moving this to our hot dog thread.

Yes - they weren't too bad, but I felt they left too much of an "after taste".

Years ago we used to just buy the ballpark, they were very fat, more like a sausage. But today's are terrible, and I don't want to think about what's inside of theirs anymore. What I'm looking for is one of those that have just meat - not all the trash left over after processing the cows and pigs, etc. Aren't there any of those around anymore? Geez...

mike

I'm moving this to our hot dog thread.

http://www.ballparkfranks.com/product_angus_beef.html

those are pretty good a little pricey though

http://www.ballparkfranks.com/product_angus_beef.html

those are pretty good a little pricey though

Our latest Costco monthly flier has new Kirkland brand hot dogs. I'm going to give them a whirl - appears to be "sans" the rat bones, fillers, lips, as....oles etc......

I'll let you know how they stack up. :)

post-640-1255799330_thumb.jpg

Yearning for a good dog - mikey

Our latest Costco monthly flier has new Kirkland brand hot dogs. I'm going to give them a whirl - appears to be "sans" the rat bones, fillers, lips, as....oles etc......

Mikey

Gonna have to give these a try.

I wonder who makes them for Costco

Mikey

Gonna have to give these a try.

I wonder who makes them for Costco

Ronald,

Just got back from Costco. My warehouse does NOT carry these. Only the Ballpark, Hebrew National, Sabrett (these 3 I've tried from Costco and did not care for the taste of all three) and another Kirkland that I will try. They look big, all beef with no added junk, called New York Style Hot Dogs. I didn't grab any as I was not heading home for over an hour or two (more stops on the way home) and didn't want them left in the truck without ice. They are not frozen, but fresh in the meat cases. They are new, I haven't seen them before. I'll grab a pack next trip (2-3 days from now).

Now wanting a hot dog - mikey

Ronald,

Just got back from Costco. My warehouse does NOT carry these. Only the Ballpark, Hebrew National, Sabrett (these 3 I've tried from Costco and did not care for the taste of all three) and another Kirkland that I will try. They look big, all beef with no added junk, called New York Style Hot Dogs. I didn't grab any as I was not heading home for over an hour or two (more stops on the way home) and didn't want them left in the truck without ice. They are not frozen, but fresh in the meat cases. They are new, I haven't seen them before. I'll grab a pack next trip (2-3 days from now).

Now wanting a hot dog - mikey

Mike for the kids I take ANY hot dog put it on the grill and put McCormicks montreal season on it, when seared dip it in Hunt's original BBQ sauce, back on the grill do that 4 times and they just mow them down, it might be hard to find a dog for flavor, seems there all floor scrapings any more

jimbo

no Lips, i'll pass :)

actually they sound and look ok, i'll be sure to check our cdn costco's next time i'm there (i have to return my kirkland smoker and kirkland pots soon)

we tend to do more smokies than dogs, but i do like a good split wiener hot dog every once in a while.

I had a very rough week and my wife decided that we could take a Hotdog roadtrip.

After all when this thread first started the goal was to see how many places we could find with great hotdogs.

Well yesterday's trip took us to The Philly Hotdog Cafe right next to Pottstown Pa. , north of Philly

In fact you can see the Nuclear powerplant stacks from the road.

We drove 2 and a half hours for a hotdog.

Was it worth it ?

Yes it was.

There are a little over 21 different hotdogs on the menu.

My wife had a Pizza Dog, a hotdog with Provolone Cheese and Marinara sauce.

It was very good.

I started things off with a Chilli Philly Cheesesteak with fried onions Hotdog.

Talking about good (excuse me im having a moment just thinking about it)

I then got a Campfire Hotdog. Thats a Hotdog with Baked Beans and fried onions

My wife got a Bacon Grilled Cheese to go because as we no everything taste better with bacon.

For my doggie bag to take home I got a Reuben Dog. It contains Corn beef , Sauerkraut &1000 islands dressing

But the ultimate dog I got for today's football games is the JUNKYARD DOG

It's a foot long on a hoagie roll with Steak, Chilli, Cheese, Cole Slaw, Tomato, Onions, Sliced Dill Pickle, Peppers , Mustard and topped with Bacon

It is oh so good

This place is worth the trip

http://www.phillyhotdogcafe.com/8501.html