Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Ronald

In search of the perfect Hotdog

142 posts in this topic

Looks like I missed this one.... imagine that! Sink... the guy with no life and is always on The Source missed a post???

We really don't have much around here for hot dog joints. We have Sonic Drive ins which have a pretty good chili cheese coney...

We also have a few local hot dog makers that have some great dogs!

Fairbury hotdogs are quite good. Probably don't want to read the ingredients here... They sell the stadium dogs at the Cornhusker football games. They are really great! Bright red hot dogs boiled in a roaster and stuffed in a soft bun and jambed into a foil packet. They have hot dog shooters that send them flying up into the stands! What great fun!!!! My daughter works at the football games and sells hot dogs for jobs daughters for charity. She always brings a few home after the game along with a Runza sandwich that is very good.

We also have a small Czech community about 25 miles from home. A small town called Wilber. It is the Czech Capitol of Nebraska and they hold the Wilber Czech Festival every year. What a party... ok, back to the hot dogs. They also have a meat market that makes some of the best wieners in the nation. Wilber Wieners are absolutely fantastic!!!!! They are natuarl casing and come in fine or coarse grind along with many different flavors.

No real hot dog stands around here but we do have some great mfg's

Sink

Here is my contribution... Local Hotdog joint called Sac's Tasty dog in Vallejo, Rated best in Solano County like four years in a row, Probably the best in the North Bay Area.

Sac's Tasty Dogs on Yelp!

Sac's Tasty Dogs on Active Diner

My Favorite: The Cajun with Sliced onions, Tomatoes, Deli mustard and thier famous mountain of cheese. Some times I will eat two ;)

:) NapaGrill ;)

I just ran into this while trying to locate some other Hotdogs in Natural Casings

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/07...asting-of-2007/

The search continues

Ronald,

Wow! Great find!

The Thumans are what I've enjoyed for years at home. But man, they've gone downhill for sure. Patty and I had some a few days ago - absolutely terrible! Small, shriveled and taste like, well - like dog sxxt! I was surprised at the high ratings in your article for the Thumans. Perhaps my Costco is giving us something different, which I'm sure of because these have always been great up to last year.

I stopped at Foodtown and picked up an 8 pack of the Windmill. Six something a pound - 8 dogs came to $13.17 if memory serves me. I'll check when I get home (yea - I'm still at work at 5:30 am)! B) Going home right after this post and sleeping for a couple of hours before coming back in....

I'll let you know if those Windmill taste as good as in their restaurant. The ones I've bought before we grilled, but this pack I'm gonna cook on the GriddleQ, as that's more like Windmill does theirs. And the difference is pointed out in your great linked article! ;)

mikey

Ronald,

Wow! Great find!

The Thumans are what I've enjoyed for years at home. But man, they've gone downhill for sure. Patty and I had some a few days ago - absolutely terrible! Small, shriveled and taste like, well - like dog sxxt! I was surprised at the high ratings in your article for the Thumans. Perhaps my Costco is giving us something different, which I'm sure of because these have always been great up to last year.

I stopped at Foodtown and picked up an 8 pack of the Windmill. Six something a pound - 8 dogs came to $13.17 if memory serves me. I'll check when I get home (yea - I'm still at work at 5:30 am)! B) Going home right after this post and sleeping for a couple of hours before coming back in....

I'll let you know if those Windmill taste as good as in their restaurant. The ones I've bought before we grilled, but this pack I'm gonna cook on the GriddleQ, as that's more like Windmill does theirs. And the difference is pointed out in your great linked article! ;)

mikey

Mikey

I was thinking of you the whole time I was posting that info.

I think the one thing that all of us Hot Dog addicts can agree on is that a Hot Dog in Natural casing is far better than a regular HotDog.

There is also a difference between Grilled, Fried, Boiled and cooked on the Griddle.

Griddle Hot Dogs are number 1

Boiled/Steamed number 2

Grilled number 3

Fried number 4

btw Mikey

Im off to the slaughter house today to get some Natural casing hotdogs.

Kunzler makes a Natural casing dog but it does not show up on there website and I have never seen them in a store

http://www.kunzler.com/kunzlerHotDog.asp

The next time I'm in New Jersey I'll have to try a Windmill hot dog. They sound good. The last time I was in New Jersey I stopped at a rest stop and saw a Nathan's Hot Dog stand, my Wife and I heard about Nathan's but never had the opportunity to try them. Well, we tried them and found them delicious and would eat them again. A week ago while we were in BJ's wholesale store they were handing out samples of Hebrew National Brand all beef hot dogs. We tried them and liked them as well. I love hot dogs but sometimes they don't agree with me so I tried skinless and you know what, they were not bad and easy on the stomach. but, sometimes a man has to tough it out and eat natural casings. I like them, steamed, grilled, fried with sauerkraut, relish, fried onions, peppers, little mustard. sometimes I toast the rolls and sometimes not. I like them with beans and sometimes I cook homefries, peppers and onion and than add the hot dogs at the finish line. em em good. the next time I cook them this way I'll take pictures. ;) kid

The next time I'm in New Jersey I'll have to try a Windmill hot dog. They sound good. The last time I was in New Jersey I stopped at a rest stop and saw a Nathan's Hot Dog stand, my Wife and I heard about Nathan's but never had the opportunity to try them. Well, we tried them and found them delicious and would eat them again. A week ago while we were in BJ's wholesale store they were handing out samples of Hebrew National Brand all beef hot dogs. We tried them and liked them as well. I love hot dogs but sometimes they don't agree with me so I tried skinless and you know what, they were not bad and easy on the stomach. but, sometimes a man has to tough it out and eat natural casings. I like them, steamed, grilled, fried with sauerkraut, relish, fried onions, peppers, little mustard. sometimes I toast the rolls and sometimes not. I like them with beans and sometimes I cook homefries, peppers and onion and than add the hot dogs at the finish line. em em good. the next time I cook them this way I'll take pictures. ;) kid

Kid

The next time you make yourself a hotdog. Try wrapping it in TPR. I guarantee you will be hooked on it.

Ronald, Yes, the next time I'm in New Jersey I'm going to try TPR. I was going to try it the last time we were in Jersey but I think we ended up at Perkins pancake house. living in a small town about 35 miles from a large city we don't have many options here but we love it. We are also not use to all the traffic and easy-pass lanes that the last 3 times we were there we got tickets. New Jersey forgave 2 of them. I'm now going to get a fast-pass monitor. I read all the articles that cuskit "Mike" writes about TPR and he does a good job at describing things that I can taste his food. I'll let the source know after I try one. sort of like a little critique. ;) kid

Ronald, Yes, the next time I'm in New Jersey I'm going to try TPR. I was going to try it the last time we were in Jersey but I think we ended up at Perkins pancake house. living in a small town about 35 miles from a large city we don't have many options here but we love it. We are also not use to all the traffic and easy-pass lanes that the last 3 times we were there we got tickets. New Jersey forgave 2 of them. I'm now going to get a fast-pass monitor. I read all the articles that cuskit "Mike" writes about TPR and he does a good job at describing things that I can taste his food. I'll let the source know after I try one. sort of like a little critique. ;) kid

Kid

The entire East Coast is easy pass country now. Next time set your GPS to avoid Toll Roads.

Stay away from the Cape May Ferry and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Those are the 2 most exspensive tolls around. Both are well over $25.

Im surprised you found a Perkins in Jersey. It use to be a southern chain.

You cant get TPR in Mass? You should be able to get TPR and Nathans Hot Dogs in Mass. How far are you from the nearest Costco/Sams/ Walmart Super Center /BJ's . They all carry Nathans Hotdogs

Kid

The entire East Coast is easy pass country now. Next time set your GPS to avoid Toll Roads.

Stay away from the Cape May Ferry and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Those are the 2 most exspensive tolls around. Both are well over $25.

Im surprised you found a Perkins in Jersey. It use to be a southern chain.

You cant get TPR in Mass? You should be able to get TPR and Nathans Hot Dogs in Mass. How far are you from the nearest Costco/Sams/ Walmart Super Center /BJ's . They all carry Nathans Hotdogs

Ronald,

Hey! Let's not be pushing TPR out of state! Don't you remember what poor beach went through? Yikes! ;)

I had a couple of the store bought Windmills for dinner tonight. They tasted so much better than they look in this photo. My Droid camera is excellent for outdoor shots - but as you can see it is severely lacking in a "plated indoor shot"! But the dogs were excellent, despite Patty biting most of the end off one of them! She chose to have leftovers from yesterday's cook of her excellent soup with sirloin bits. It was good - but all this talk of dogs had me yearning for some. I'll give these Windmills the thumbs up! Very tasty, meaty, large and long, plump and POPs! when you bite through the casing! B)

Windmill Hot Dogs Griddle Cooked on a GriddleQ (bought right here on the Source Store)!

post-640-1262833523_thumb.jpg

Hot Doggety Mikey

Ronald,

I never checked out the hot dog section at BJ's for Nathan's, I'm sure they must have them. You know what's strange, I use to be a short order cook at the shore in a New Jersey diner about 46 years ago and I don't remember TPR. I'm sure they had them back then. I'll look for them too at BJ's. I think if I avoid the Tapanzee Bridge and the GSP, it might take me all day to get to my destination. I'll just buck up and get a ezpass monitor. I go to Maine on occassion and could use it at the Hampton, N.H. toll booth as well as the Maine turnpike. Most of the time I use U.S. #1 in Maine. did you know that U.S. #1 runs all the way from Fort Kent, Maine to Key West, Florida. pardon any spelling errors, I haven't figured out where the spell check is in this forum. thanks for the info. :D kid

Ronald,

Hey! Let's not be pushing TPR out of state! Don't you remember what poor beach went through? Yikes! :D

I had a couple of the store bought Windmills for dinner tonight. They tasted so much better than they look in this photo. My Droid camera is excellent for outdoor shots - but as you can see it is severely lacking in a "plated indoor shot"! But the dogs were excellent, despite Patty biting most of the end off one of them! She chose to have leftovers from yesterday's cook of her excellent soup with sirloin bits. It was good - but all this talk of dogs had me yearning for some. I'll give these Windmills the thumbs up! Very tasty, meaty, large and long, plump and POPs! when you bite through the casing! :P

Windmill Hot Dogs Griddle Cooked on a GriddleQ (bought right here on the Source Store)!

post-640-1262833523_thumb.jpg

Hot Doggety Mikey

Mikey, you sound like a nice guy and don't want to hurt your feelings but I don't like the looks of that picture you took of the hot dogs hee hee I know I'm in the minority but I like them a little more simplified. I forgot about the griddleQ, I saw your pictures in action in the past and I think I might get one from the source too. My Son has one but a little larger and it takesmost of the room on his grill. I think if I recall, yours is a half size? kid

Mikey, you sound like a nice guy and don't want to hurt your feelings but I don't like the looks of that picture you took of the hot dogs hee hee I know I'm in the minority but I like them a little more simplified. I forgot about the griddleQ, I saw your pictures in action in the past and I think I might get one from the source too. My Son has one but a little larger and it takesmost of the room on his grill. I think if I recall, yours is a half size? kid

Kid,

Sorry. I can't answer your question. You've seriously hurt my feelings... :D:P Of course this is joking! But my Droid will no longer accept any calls originating from Mass until a public apology is placed where his honor and esteem can be redeemed! :lol:

Seriously - I did purchase the smaller GriddleQ here, (plug for Don's Source Store). For it's size it's perfect and I'm happy I went with it as many times I'm using my grill at the same time. The larger model precludes that. My nutritionist is also happy about the smaller model since I'm restricted from cooking ten pounds of bacon this way! Hee hee..

By the way - if you do buy - it HAS to be from the Source - if not, your posts may mysteriously disappear within hours of you posting.. Not! Not! Not! But I do urge patronizing the Store that has helped so much to sponsor this site!

Gridley Mikey

O my goodness!! I just showed my Wife Mikey's hot dog picture and guess what? She liked it! and loved the way the ends of the hot dog looked crisp. O, I forgot my Wife is from New Jersey. I am in the minority or am I? let me hear from other members about Mikey's hot dog presentation. :D kid

O my goodness!! I just showed my Wife Mikey's hot dog picture and guess what? She liked it! and loved the way the ends of the hot dog looked crisp. O, I forgot my Wife is from New Jersey. I am in the minority or am I? let me hear from other members about Mikey's hot dog presentation. :) kid

Did she also notice that one end of the upper dog had been bitten off? Yea - Patty made them up for me, and decided to try a taste. The wench! I shoulda smacked her right there, but as she braved the frigid weather to griddle cook them for me - I'm gonna let this one slide. But just this once! :P

Hey! You knockin my presentation? You want me to trek up to Mass and knock you around a bit? Geez. I can remember the "pre-Shelly picture days" when my hot dog shot would have gotten a lot of praise! Now between he and old grouch they've raised the bar so much that we can't even post a basic low quality picture without some hick from the bean state wapping on my picture quality! I'm gonna take my toys and go home. I'm very hurt. :( Sigh.. heh heh..

I can't wait until lunch today (yea - I'm at the shop at 3:00 am AGAIN)! :( But I'm going home for lunch today and throwing another pair of those delicious Windmill dogs on the grill. Two the other night did not satisfy my yearning for a good dog - so I'll repeat the menu for lunch. It was an 8-pack, so I've got enough to eat two today and still have a few left to eat during the good games this weekend.

Did anyone catch the Texas/Alabama game last night? I didn't hear the score - but did set up the DVR, that should have been a great game. And don't tell me about it - I want to watch it through without knowing the end! I've got all radios off, no tv and I'm alone until tonight, so I should be fine until I can play it back. Meanwhile, Kid, you can watch your blonde hussy on your DVR. :D Oh, that's right, you erased it. Yea - keep telling the wife that. :lol:

Okay - coffee break is over. Back to work! I've got 54 MIKRADLES that have to ship out today. Yikes! Where does the time go..

Still putting in the hours - weary mikey