Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

MRW BBQ

Converting a 250lb oil drum into a smoker/grill

10 posts in this topic

I was given three 250 gallon oil tanks. Do you think $1000.00 is to much to have a welding company convert the oil tank into a pig roaster, grill, and smoker?

Also one oil tank has rust on it, which I would love to convert into a warming box.

I have a example picture of what the grill looks like in the Attachment below..........

THANKS

Tom

post-7824-1250568355_thumb.jpg

I would not use old OIL tanks... Try to find some barrels that had food grade items in them,and yes I believe 1000 is to much. Sound like they dont want to do it,for that amount you could find a nice used smoker

I was given three 250 gallon oil tanks. Do you think $1000.00 is to much to have a welding company convert the oil tank into a pig roaster, grill, and smoker?

Also one oil tank has rust on it, which I would love to convert into a warming box.

I have a example picture of what the grill looks like in the Attachment below..........

THANKS

Tom

Is the $1000 including cleaning out the tanks from there prior use.

Does it include all three tanks?

Does it include grates?

Are there any other welders in your area?

Have you priced a new grill/roaster this size?

Relative to the safety of "used" oil drums, here http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/ is a company that has been doing just this successfully. I'd say sandblasting, followed by pressure washing, followed by 3-4 high heat burn-offs and it should be fine. There must be literally thousands across our country in use today. Not sure it's worth $1,000.00 though.

Mike

thanks Ronald, plus i'm a Washington Redskins Fan!!!!!!!!

Dont take that butt whipping we just gave you personal B):D

I give you credit for one thing thou.

The skins fans throw one heck of a tailgate party.

This is with the exception of the idiot that put the hot grill in the car & burned up several cars in the parking lot.

Did the cars belong to cowboy fans :)

btw

Have you talked to any welders in brandywhine

THANKS

Tom

$1000 for a pull along converted oil tank is cheap around here. I looked at one it was going to cost almost twice that much and I still had to register the thing for a tag. Nothing wrong with old oil tanks, propane or NG tanks. I would not trust barrels unless you know what was in them.

$1000 for a pull along converted oil tank is cheap around here. I looked at one it was going to cost almost twice that much and I still had to register the thing for a tag. Nothing wrong with old oil tanks, propane or NG tanks. I would not trust barrels unless you know what was in them.