Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

TheNoodleIncident

Bees in the Grill

10 posts in this topic

check this out - i got it in an email from my mother in law, and then was able to find it posted on this other forum (just picked it from a google search never actually checked what kind of forum it was - hopefully nothing bad)....anyway, its nuts

http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/forum/215...rs-Back-at-Camp

:ph34r::blink::o :o :o :o :o

check this out - i got it in an email from my mother in law, and then was able to find it posted on this other forum (just picked it from a google search never actually checked what kind of forum it was - hopefully nothing bad)....anyway, its nuts

http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/forum/215...rs-Back-at-Camp

Bee's, spiders and other insects often vacation inside of grills

Of course most of the people on this site dont have that problem because we grill all year round :ph34r:

a couple years ago, i wasn't bbqing much and we went on vacation for a week or 2 and my parents came over to cut the grass etc. they took off the bbq cover to clean it up for me and lone behold, when my mom lifted off the vinyl cover, a swarm of bees/wasps came out, stung her all over her arms, flew up her shirt and stung her. they had built a little nest under there, not sure how big it was, but they had to go buy some bee killer and get rid of it.

needless to say, she wasn't impressed.

my bbq cover got cleaned though.

the honey, and maybe even the grill, were probably ruined by that chemical bomb

i could understand opening the cover and finding some bugs, but that was RIDICULOUS....could have killed the guy, seriously

the honey, and maybe even the grill, were probably ruined by that chemical bomb

i could understand opening the cover and finding some bugs, but that was RIDICULOUS....could have killed the guy, seriously

Most everyone has the mistaken. These are not BEES but WASPS. NO honey here just multiple stings from a single insect. They are very aggressive. Primarily know as yellow jackets as I said they are mistaken for bees but are not. They are very aggressive wasps

No those are bee's, wasps have a round dry white nest, those are bee's..............................you can even see on some of the dead ones backs there "H" mark..............wasp is long skinny, mostly wings, no mistaken those are bee's

No those are bee's, wasps have a round dry white nest, those are bee's..............................you can even see on some of the dead ones backs there "H" mark..............wasp is long skinny, mostly wings, no mistaken those are bee's

I agree, I feel those are bees. Yellow jackets look similar to a honey bee, except they have a very skinny waist, unlike the honey bee. Yellow jackets are in the wasp family. They build nests similar to a football, or conical shape - though they mostly live underground. Will also build a nest under siding, in rafters, etc. More like paper.

Whichever - glad I didn't find that under my cover! Oops. My cover is used now for my generator! :ph34r: The grill never gets covered as it's in use year round... :blink:

mike

My guess is that they are the hybrid africanized honeybees. These have a reputation for being extremely agressive where the normal American honey bee is fairly placid. Even the latter might attack given the circumstances, but this sounds like the swarming attack of the Africanized bees.

So yeah, why have a grill if you're going to let it sit long enough for a hive that big to be built? :ph34r: Rich