Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

sbebenelli

Do I need to season porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates?

7 posts in this topic

New member here and excited new Weber owner.

I just bought a E-310 with the porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates. Do I need to season these? I know porcelain coated grates do not need it. These appear not to be coated like others I have seen. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't even know they have porcelain on them. The instructions say nothing about the grates.

New member here and excited new Weber owner.

I just bought a E-310 with the porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates. Do I need to season these? I know porcelain coated grates do not need it. These appear not to be coated like others I have seen. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't even know they have porcelain on them. The instructions say nothing about the grates.

This is a new coating process. It's still not a bad idea to use some oil or fat of some type on them but "seasoning" is not really required. NO harm done if you do though.

This is a new coating process. It's still not a bad idea to use some oil or fat of some type on them but "seasoning" is not really required. NO harm done if you do though.

yeah, i have the same thing and "seasoned" it, even though it wasn't needed....just a quick coating of oil, and i repeat every now and then...i do it more for anti-sticking, but i guess it would help if i ever chipped the coating

btw, have we heard anything about the durability of weber's new coating process? apparently the reason they changed it was to reduce chipping, but i havent heard anyone comment on whether or not it is better

yeah, i have the same thing and "seasoned" it, even though it wasn't needed....just a quick coating of oil, and i repeat every now and then...i do it more for anti-sticking, but i guess it would help if i ever chipped the coating

btw, have we heard anything about the durability of weber's new coating process? apparently the reason they changed it was to reduce chipping, but i havent heard anyone comment on whether or not it is better

Actually no as other than my little 2 burner unit my Genesis has the SS U shaped grates and the Summit has the 9mm SS rod grates. My sister and BIL have 2 Q grills and have no issues with the coating and I got my kid a Q220 used and there is no issue with the coating on it either. Seems quite durable to me.

Thanks for the replies guys. I still haven't had a chance to use the grill. Been busy building a deck and will finish that project this weekend.

I'm going to season the grates hopefully Sunday. Wanting to try my new grill out!

I wouldn't bother trying to season porcelain grates or SS, you can get a coating of oil on them that will go rancid but the only metal grate that will absorb oil is Cast Iron..if you want to season the grate when there blazing hot before you drop the meat on them rub some frozen bacon fat on them

jim