Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

sillyrabbitt123

SHOCKED literally

35 posts in this topic

Hi All-

 

great forum!

 

Love my brand new e320 genesis LP but i am having a problem which i dont know how to fix and it also concerns me.

i have the weber 7553 cover that goes with the grill. The problem is i get a shock every time i put the grill cover on and off.

 

Does this happen to anyone else? How can I stop it and you think i should be concerned if there was a ever a gas leak?

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi All-

 

great forum!

 

Love my brand new e320 genesis LP but i am having a problem which i dont know how to fix and it also concerns me.

i have the weber 7553 cover that goes with the grill. The problem is i get a shock every time i put the grill cover on and off.

 

Does this happen to anyone else? How can I stop it and you think i should be concerned if there was a ever a gas leak?

 

thanks

 

It's static. Try keeping some contact with the metal grill or touching it quickly once in a while to discharge. Harmless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks i guess i was really just worried in the rare chance if there was a leak and a spark happened it wouldnt be good.

 

i have now also read a bunch of threads on to cover or not to cover and i am going with no cover.

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's static. Try keeping some contact with the metal grill or touching it quickly once in a while to discharge. Harmless

 

Don't worry IF there is no gas leak. See if you can ground your grill -- run a thick copper wire to you pipes, a deep buried copper stake, etc. (NOT your gas line!). Or get a cloth cover. Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't worry IF there is no gas leak. See if you can ground your grill -- run a thick copper wire to you pipes, a deep buried copper stake, etc. (NOT your gas line!). Or get a cloth cover. Rich

 

But why would he be getting static electricity when he touches his grill when nobody else has experienced that, or at least, it has not been posted?

 

I've never heard of grounding an lp grill. I know that I move mine in and out of it's resting place whenever I grill. A grounding wire would just get in the way and wouldn't solve his problem.

 

Does the grill sit on a wooden deck, metal deck, grass, as this might be contributing to the static electrcity.

 

Or maybe it's the OP's shoes? There has got to be an explanation. Is there anything electric on the grill? The ignition? There may be a short somewhere if so.

 

Shelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why I am getting. i really think its the cover [on the underneath side material] but not sure. it sits on a stone type patio. i was going to move it on the grass and see if that helps but i am now thinking that i wont cover it.

 

but i do plan on using it all year round and not sure how it will hold up overtime. but again some of the other threads it seems people swear by never covering it .

 

it could be the shoes not a bad thought i usually where these rubber soled bottom flip flop type shoes.

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But why would he be getting static electricity when he touches his grill when nobody else has experienced that, or at least, it has not been posted?

 

I've never heard of grounding an lp grill. I know that I move mine in and out of it's resting place whenever I grill. A grounding wire would just get in the way and wouldn't solve his problem.

 

Does the grill sit on a wooden deck, metal deck, grass, as this might be contributing to the static electrcity.

 

Or maybe it's the OP's shoes? There has got to be an explanation. Is there anything electric on the grill? The ignition? There may be a short somewhere if so.

 

Shelly

Shelly

Im with you on this

I have never heard of it.

Makes me wonder if his grill is on a deck with some type of rug or carpet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not sure why I am getting. i really think its the cover [on the underneath side material] but not sure

 

thanks

 

I use a Weber cover with the soft underside material. Grill sits on a wooden deck. I am usually barefoot or wear Birkenstocks and always covder the grill each night once it cools down.

 

Never any static electricity to shock me.

 

Why not call Weber and see if they have an answer for you?

 

Shelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my old Char Broil I purchased the matching grill cover from Lowes, it was almost a canvas type material. I had this happen several times when covering the grill in the evening, mostly cold or cool nights. Never any type of issue, just a quick static discharge, if I touched the grill as I started to place the cover on it never happen. I think is was due the the type of cover and the weather related to how much static electricty was in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I use a Weber cover with the soft underside material. Grill sits on a wooden deck. I am usually barefoot or wear Birkenstocks and always covder the grill each night once it cools down.

 

Never any static electricity to shock me.

 

Why not call Weber and see if they have an answer for you?

 

Shelly

 

Yeah, I think that's a good first place.

 

Grounding MIGHT be a solution (if feasible), but as I was travelling to class I started thinking about all the questions you asked, Shelly. Especially why it never came up before (because it's not a problem ;) ). One thing I was wondering, silly, is whether you've gotten shocked when the grill was NOT covered.

 

A more simple solution may be to attach a short unconnected wire from the cover to the ground -- that may prevent a charge from accumulating. Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, I think that's a good first place.

 

One thing I was wondering, silly, is whether you've gotten shocked when the grill was NOT covered.

Rich

 

No.

 

But I'm completely shocked that I can get out of bed each morning. ;)

 

Shelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks all for trying to help!

 

1- No dont get shocked from the grill. only when cover is involved.

2- it might have been a little chilly at night but i also used in the day when warmer out and got shocked at both times of day.

3- I did call weber and they had nothing to say they didnt know and didnt hear about it before but said they would look into.

 

if i return the cover do i need a new one? how long could the grill last with out a cover through rain, snow, sleet and sun?

 

thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thanks all for trying to help!

 

1- No dont get shocked from the grill. only when cover is involved.

2- it might have been a little chilly at night but i also used in the day when warmer out and got shocked at both times of day.

3- I did call weber and they had nothing to say they didnt know and didnt hear about it before but said they would look into.

 

if i return the cover do i need a new one? how long could the grill last with out a cover through rain, snow, sleet and sun?

 

thanks!!

Silly I dont know what its called but there are static sprays you get for your laundry, you get at the grocery store spray some inside the cover and it will go away..........

My wife used some inside her car for cloth seats cause she would get a little zap when leaving the car

 

 

jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silly I dont know what its called but there are static sprays you get for your laundry, you get at the grocery store spray some inside the cover and it will go away..........

My wife used some inside her car for cloth seats cause she would get a little zap when leaving the car

 

jim

 

Now THAT's thinking outside the W/D box! ;)

 

I still think it's weird that it's happening at all...

 

And silly Shelly, that was for silly wabbit. :P Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jim/All. Thats a great idea i will get a can of the static guard.

 

off topic sort of: am I "silly" to just give up and not use a cover at all?

 

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now