Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

ezukerma

Bull BBQ at Costco

16 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a grill and think I am zeroing in on a drop in / built in that will facilitate building an island down the road... I saw that Costco is selling The Urban Islands 4 Burner grill:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...=C&topnav=#

which is essentially the Bull Angus:

http://www.bullbbq.com/products/bbq-grills/angus-bbq.asp

Any thoughts / experience with the grill? Any suggestions about something else with the same (or less) price tag?

Thanks in advance for any help.

U

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a grill and think I am zeroing in on a drop in / built in that will facilitate building an island down the road... I saw that Costco is selling The Urban Islands 4 Burner grill:

Any thoughts / experience with the grill? Any suggestions about something else with the same (or less) price tag?

U

I know Bulls warranty says they don't cover damage due to moisture, in a round about way I would run from that

jim

Hi there,

U

I am a costco fan , but I would not buy any grill for an island from them.

You need to be looking for a 316 or 304 SS grill to be placed in an island.

Goto the Custom Outdoor Kitchen section and see what everybody is using

Hi there,

U

Warranty seems awfully timid for something marketed as such high quality. Compare their's to Weber's perhaps it will open your eyes.

I am a costco fan , but I would not buy any grill for an island from them.

You need to be looking for a 316 or 304 SS grill to be placed in an island.

Goto the Custom Outdoor Kitchen section and see what everybody is using

Ron,

While I would not buy this particular grill from Costco because of the lame warranty (no coverage for corrosion, rust, etc from moisture????) they DO state it is 304ss, and a heavy 16 gauge, which should be good. What I don't understand is if it is the good, heavy duty 304, why provide such a limited warranty?

mikey

Ron,

While I would not buy this particular grill from Costco because of the lame warranty (no coverage for corrosion, rust, etc from moisture????) they DO state it is 304ss, and a heavy 16 gauge, which should be good. What I don't understand is if it is the good, heavy duty 304, why provide such a limited warranty?

mikey

Those were my thoughts as well, it apears to be a nice grill, maybe they make a good deal of their revenue from parts and shipping, the chassis lasts you a lifetime but the parts fail annually?

At least you have the Costco killer return policy

jim

Ron,

mikey

Mikey

The warranty dosent make sense if the grill is really 304SS and is heavy 16 gauge.

That scares me about the grill and the company

This dosent pass the sniff test

Mikey

The warranty dosent make sense if the grill is really 304SS and is heavy 16 gauge.

That scares me about the grill and the company

This dosent pass the sniff test

Yeah. I'd be awfully suspicious about just WHAT PARTS are 304SS. Rich

Edit: My last grill had 304SS on the exterior (or at least it met the magnet test), but the insides were what totally rusted out leaving me with a nice looking chassis.

Yeah. I'd be awfully suspicious about just WHAT PARTS are 304SS. Rich

Edit: My last grill had 304SS on the exterior (or at least it met the magnet test), but the insides were what totally rusted out leaving me with a nice looking chassis.

Thats kinda where my suspicions lie also Rich, the meager warranty is slanted in that direction, they give you a nice enough chassis that you don't need to pitch it in the trash so the only logical customer reaction is to replace expensive (cheap) parts and pay exorbitant shipping costs, there by bolstering thier revenues by untold percentages.

jim

Thats kinda where my suspicions lie also Rich, the meager warranty is slanted in that direction, they give you a nice enough chassis that you don't need to pitch it in the trash so the only logical customer reaction is to replace expensive (cheap) parts and pay exorbitant shipping costs, there by bolstering thier revenues by untold percentages.

jim

Jim,

Thanks for the insight, but can it be that you are not reading the warranty correctly? the warranty says: "It does not apply to rust, corrosion, oxidation or discoloration, which may occur due to moisture or overheating, unless the affected component becomes inoperable." I read this as saying that if you have some rust on the grill because you left it for a couple of years outside in the rain - they will not replace it unless for example the burners are so rusted that they cannot operate.

Even Lynx warranty says the following "This warranty excludes surface corrosion, scratches, and discoloration which may occur during regular use."

I do however plan to give them a call tomorrow to ask why is the warranty time on the Costco model is shorther then on their regular models

Does anyone have any experience using it for some period of time?

Thanks

Just spoke with the Bull service rep and found out that the Costco product is the lower quality Bull product (explains the use of a different brand name). It is not entirely 304 SS 16 gauge - only portions of it - which explains the difference in warranty periods...

Just spoke with the Bull service rep and found out that the Costco product is the lower quality Bull product (explains the use of a different brand name). It is not entirely 304 SS 16 gauge - only portions of it - which explains the difference in warranty periods...

Aww good Info Kerma, in response to your warranty statement I see your point but the verbiage alone leaves an opening in their warranty I would prefer it to read for example:

Stainless steel burner tubes 10-years (period)

Stainless steel Shroud 25-years (or what ever)(period)

This was your interpretation which is very understandable:

"I read this as saying that if you have some rust on the grill because you left it for a couple of years outside in the rain - they will not replace it unless for example the burners are so rusted that they cannot operate".

My interpretation:

I use my grill everyday and the moisture content of the natural/propane gas has rusted my burners through from the inside out making them inoperable. or at minimal flame throwers.

"which may occur due to moisture" is the scary catch phrase for me, because moisture is one of the few things that can actually damage metals and like i said if the chassis rusts to hell it's still operable, you just have a rusty looking grill sitting there............

I think Ronald said it best if you need a lawyer to interpret your warranty there's a real good chance it's not so much in your favor.

I'm glad you posted your findings!!

jim

Jim,

What would you recommend at around $1000 budget? (assuming you are looking for a built-in that will facilitate building an island down the road...)

Thanks everyone for your insight on the Bull bbq

Jim,

What would you recommend at around $1000 budget? (assuming you are looking for a built-in that will facilitate building an island down the road...)

Thanks everyone for your insight on the Bull bbq

Kerma I think your real close with the 1000 bucks could you possibly skimp on some finishes for the island or shop those real tight and find maybe another 300-500 dollars, that would put you into a weber summit built in or Napoleon, 1300-1500 is a better budget not that a grand will get you junk mind you, one thing you do want in a built in is a fantastic chassis since no two built ins outside dimensions are the same changing the whole grill out would suck from a construction stand point, so you would like the chassis to last the lifetime of the Island for yourself and your family. If you have something on the other hand with available parts and hopefully a good warranty to get you down the road say 5-10 years on internals if you do need to buy parts after that well thats not the end of the world, skimping on a built in will cost you more down the road in time and building materials than it would to spend a few extra bucks up front...... a fella named Ceril just got this Napoleon for his island I think he said 1300 bucks and got a ceramic inferred sear burner to mount along side it as well...

I think he is in Canada and so Is Napoleon, of course Weber is world wide

The Napoleon link:

http://www.napoleongrills.com/Gourmet-gril...or_kitchen.html

Our Link here at the Source Read post #19

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...15&start=15

And a pic of the grill............

jim