Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Don S

Magikitchen by Pitco

6 posts in this topic

Some of you may remember my bragging a while back about my commercial grill purchase.

DSC03403_640x428.JPG

Monster grill, 8 burners w/double roll top hoods and twin 40 lb propane tanks.

Well it was finally time to replace the burners - all 8.

I had to dismantle the front and back panels to access the bolts. Now for the good part. All the bolts were regular steel, totally corroded.

In addition the pins that hold the heat deflectors over the burners were so badly corroded that I had to remove them as well.

I had to drill out or grind off all 8 burner bolts as well as grind off all 16 heat deflector pins. $100 + dollars in nuts and bolts and a new Dewalt Grinder.

3+ hours of work and lot of cursing.

So I guess the punch line is you can't always be sure that a manufacturer of commercial grilling equipment is going to care enough or be smart enough to use all SS nuts and bolts. The unit shown above would retail for around $5,000. Go figure???

Yes I did replace all the parts with SS and hope I don't have to go through the same thing a couple of years from now.

Some of you may remember my bragging a while back about my commercial grill purchase.

post-1-1274548385_thumb.jpg

I had to dismantle the front and back panels to access the bolts. Now for the good part. All the bolts were regular steel, totally corroded.

In addition the pins that hold the heat deflectors over the burners were so badly corroded that I had to remove them as well.

I had to drill out or grind off all 8 burner bolts as well as grind off all 16 heat deflector pins. $100 + dollars in nuts and bolts and a new Dewalt Grinder.

So I guess the punch line is you can't always be sure that a manufacturer of commercial grilling equipment is going to care enough or be smart enough to use all SS nuts and bolts. The unit shown above would retail for around $5,000. Go figure???

Yes I did replace all the parts with SS and hope I don't have to go through the same thing a couple of years from now.

Good grief! Heck - you should have taken that c-note and bought one of those HD Weber grills we're always hearing about that last a lifetime.. :lol:

Seriously - just keep an eye on the hardware - if they start to show signs of deterioration, replace them before they get to where you need the grinder. And just mail me the DeWalt - since you won't be needing that anymore! ;)

mikey

EDIT: How come my smiley "wink" doesn't show properly?

post-1-1274548385_thumb.jpg

Look at the bright side Don you got a new grinder outta the deal and you got to brush up on your swear words :lol:

jim

Look at the bright side Don you got a new grinder outta the deal and you got to brush up on your swear words :huh:

jim

See - your "wink" smile is not displaying either..

mike

See - your "wink" smile is not displaying either..

mike

Hey what the heck!!! :huh:

lets try it again maybe the wink is on strike ;)

Don,

Sometimes things aren't as they seem???? New burners every couple of years? For commercial equipment? Doesn't buying a Costco signature sound like a better deal and just throw it away when the bolts get rusty??? :huh: (sorry Mikey... had to do it! ;) LMAO!!!!)

Undercover,

Sinko-ocho

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor