Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

azgriller

how to remove quick disconnect from propane tank

8 posts in this topic

I have the quick disconnect adapter coupling, as shown here:

http://www.tools.unistores.com/index.php?c...=2&pid=9727

The problem is that I bought a grill with the newer style connector, which doesn't work with the disconnect. I would like to remove the disconnect coupling to the propane tank, but don't know how. I haven't found instructions on the internet either.

There isn't anything like a nut for a wrench to grab onto, so I'm not sure how I could turn it. Since the lip turns either way I cannot just grab it an turn -- somehow it needs to be locked so that it doesn't rotate.

Does anybody know how to do this?

I have the quick disconnect adapter coupling, as shown here:

http://www.tools.unistores.com/index.php?c...=2&pid=9727

The problem is that I bought a grill with the newer style connector, which doesn't work with the disconnect. I would like to remove the disconnect coupling to the propane tank, but don't know how. I haven't found instructions on the internet either.

There isn't anything like a nut for a wrench to grab onto, so I'm not sure how I could turn it. Since the lip turns either way I cannot just grab it an turn -- somehow it needs to be locked so that it doesn't rotate.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Pull on it Az slide the coupler back and pull, hell slide the coupler back and it will pop off

Pull on it Az slide the coupler back and pull, hell slide the coupler back and it will pop off

It won't pop off because it's threaded into the propane gas bottle's inner threads. The snap ring has no problem rotating when it is slide backwards or forwards. In that picture the rotating part is the one with the plastic tie down.

AZ

It looks pretty much the same as an air hose coupler, if so all you need to do is put a set of vice grips on the outer ring that slides back and turn to the left to remove it.

The piece in the tank is left hand thread. There is a special tool to take it out. If you take it to the propane supplier, they will have the tool. I have a plastic one that's made to break off when the correct torque is applied to install it. I didn't let it break and have been able to remove a couple of them with it. IIRC it is a square fitting but has to be made a certain way.

Your other option is to get the male piece for the hose end of the connector and keep using the tank the way it is.

Hope this helps!

Sink

The piece in the tank is left hand thread. There is a special tool to take it out. If you take it to the propane supplier, they will have the tool. I have a plastic one that's made to break off when the correct torque is applied to install it. I didn't let it break and have been able to remove a couple of them with it. IIRC it is a square fitting but has to be made a certain way.

Your other option is to get the male piece for the hose end of the connector and keep using the tank the way it is.

Hope this helps!

Sink

Yes, you are right about the plastic thing. Unfortunately I tightened it until it broke, which is of course what we are supposed to do to get the torque correct.

I have a male adapter, but it goes to a female thread. Since it's the older style tank I'm not sure I can find female to female that fits a newer tank style regulator and adapter. Your option to take it to a propane dealer sounds like the only one that might work.

My tank is the older style but it does have the same outside thread as the new ones.

Yes, you are right about the plastic thing. Unfortunately I tightened it until it broke, which is of course what we are supposed to do to get the torque correct.

I have a male adapter, but it goes to a female thread. Since it's the older style tank I'm not sure I can find female to female that fits a newer tank style regulator and adapter. Your option to take it to a propane dealer sounds like the only one that might work.

My tank is the older style but it does have the same outside thread as the new ones.

Great AZ.... You know, a lot of hardware stores carry an amazing amount of fittings if you want to try and find the female to female piece. I really liked the quick disconnect that came on my original Weber Genesis 1000. Very quick and easy. I only go through about 3 tanks a year now since I use charcoal most of the time for flavor but it was very convient!

Glad I could help! It seemed you question was misunderstood which happens sometimes. Unless you have or have had a quick disconnect, you probably cant understand what you needed.

Have a GREAT Memorial weekend and don't forget the pictures of what you are cooking!!!!

Sinko tanko

I never had any trouble getting mine out - just push the rotating slide lock back toward the tank, grab the exposed part with a pair of pliers, turn to the right (left handed thread) and it will loosen right up. Shouldn't be very tight to start with as it has an o-ring seal.

beach