Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

grillguy

WSM 22" smoker "mod"

5 posts in this topic

After complaining about how much charcoal the WSM 22" uses up if I'm only doing a little bit of food, I came up with this little idea.

IMG_0670.JPG

The paver bricks were 88 cents at Home Depot. They didn't have regular red clay bricks, so I got these. Eight worked with just a little overlap, and I figure I saved about 25% of the charcoal I'd normally use. Sure, I could use one chimney's worth and put the 2 racks of ribs on the Performer, but I figured in the effort of science and modding... :lol:

Happy Memorial Day all!

dustin

After complaining about how much charcoal the WSM 22" uses up if I'm only doing a little bit of food, I came up with this little idea.

IMG_0670.JPG

The paver bricks were 88 cents at Home Depot. They didn't have regular red clay bricks, so I got these. Eight worked with just a little overlap, and I figure I saved about 25% of the charcoal I'd normally use. Sure, I could use one chimney's worth and put the 2 racks of ribs on the Performer, but I figured in the effort of science and modding... :)

Happy Memorial Day all!

dustin

How did it work?

IMG_0670.JPG

The paver bricks were 88 cents at Home Depot. They didn't have regular red clay bricks, so I got these. Eight worked with just a little overlap, and I figure I saved about 25% of the charcoal I'd normally use. Sure, I could use one chimney's worth and put the 2 racks of ribs on the Performer, but I figured in the effort of science and modding... :)

Happy Memorial Day all!

dustin

Good thinking, Dustin! :blink: I may well try that myself even in my 18.5. I'd rather have a deeper set of coals than a wide shallow set for a shorter smoke. Rich

Hey all,

The concept is valid, but the day I chose was poor picking. I maintained 225-250* for 3 hours easily, just like having the regular amount of briquettes. But then we had a 30 minute thunder storm that brought temps down to 150*. I needed to finish the ribs inside in the oven, but a few hours later I went back outside and the smoker was still at 150*. So as far as holding temp it seemed to work fine. Haven't had time to clean up yet to see if the stones were affected any... I'm no mason, but I can't imagine they can be vulnerable to any damage.

Hope it works for others!

Good grilling,

dustin

Hey all,

The concept is valid, but the day I chose was poor picking. I maintained 225-250* for 3 hours easily, just like having the regular amount of briquettes. But then we had a 30 minute thunder storm that brought temps down to 150*. I needed to finish the ribs inside in the oven, but a few hours later I went back outside and the smoker was still at 150*. So as far as holding temp it seemed to work fine. Haven't had time to clean up yet to see if the stones were affected any... I'm no mason, but I can't imagine they can be vulnerable to any damage.

Hope it works for others!

Good grilling,

dustin

Thats a good idea you came up with Dustin, confines your coal space and that 150F you came back to in the rain was most likely the heat retention from the bricks and your right you will hit the lottery a dozen times before you damage the bricks, I would keep those same ones because they will get seasoned as you use them and add some flave to your smoke

jim