Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the indian

Grill Security

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm a new member to these forums, having just purchased a copper Weber E-310 using advice read from here!

Having invested a good chunk of change into it, I'm hoping someone doesn't steal it! Do any of you have similar concerns? I live on a quiet street in a family neighborhood in New Hampshire, but robberies occur in even the "safest" of places. Granted, I wouldn't expect a robber to put in the time or effort to steal a bulky grill in the middle of the night, but it wouldn't be tough for someone to pull into the driveway in the middle of the day and load it into the back of their pickup. In fact, if you think about it, how suspicious would that even look if you were a neighbor or someone driving by? We take the same into consideration when having lumber delivered or leaving a trailer out.

I was thinking about using a vinyl coated chain with an outdoor padlock, looping it around the base and through the deck somehow, as long as it's concealed (so I don't look like a paranoid nut when i've got friends over for some grilling :ph34r: ).

Have any of you done this? Or figure the weight and bulkiness of the grill itself is enough deterrent for theft?

Thanks in advance

Hello all,

I'm a new member to these forums, having just purchased a copper Weber E-310 using advice read from here!

Having invested a good chunk of change into it, I'm hoping someone doesn't steal it! Do any of you have similar concerns? I live on a quiet street in a family neighborhood in New Hampshire, but robberies occur in even the "safest" of places. Granted, I wouldn't expect a robber to put in the time or effort to steal a bulky grill in the middle of the night, but it wouldn't be tough for someone to pull into the driveway in the middle of the day and load it into the back of their pickup. In fact, if you think about it, how suspicious would that even look if you were a neighbor or someone driving by? We take the same into consideration when having lumber delivered or leaving a trailer out.

I was thinking about using a vinyl coated chain with an outdoor padlock, looping it around the base and through the deck somehow, as long as it's concealed (so I don't look like a paranoid nut when i've got friends over for some grilling :ph34r: ).

Have any of you done this? Or figure the weight and bulkiness of the grill itself is enough deterrent for theft?

Thanks in advance

Adding a chain could have two benefits , keep the grill from being blown around easily, and make it somewhat harder to steal. In fact if anyone did try to take it and didn't have some bolt cutters they probably would leave it probably. To cover all bases make sure to take pictures and keep receipts so if it is stolen you can call up insurance.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance

Actually we had a lengthy thread going around on this back a year or so ago. The general consensus was that locks were probably overkill since, as you stated, the chances of grill theft are not high given the bulkiness of most grills. Sure - the possibility does exist, but only a remote consideration. There are much easier things to steal for thieves who are basically lazy (in the respect of working hard). Just check with your homeowners insurance policy, be sure it's covered and meanwhile leave the chains in the bedroom where they belong (oops - didn't mean to say that :lol: ).

By the way - WELCOME TO THE SOURCE! :)

mikey

Actually we had a lengthy thread going around on this back a year or so ago. The general consensus was that locks were probably overkill since, as you stated, the chances of grill theft are not high given the bulkiness of most grills. Sure - the possibility does exist, but only a remote consideration. There are much easier things to steal for thieves who are basically lazy (in the respect of working hard). Just check with your homeowners insurance policy, be sure it's covered and meanwhile leave the chains in the bedroom where they belong (oops - didn't mean to say that :ph34r: ).

By the way - WELCOME TO THE SOURCE! :lol:

mikey

I was going to say the same thing but recently met someone who had their grill stolen. Now they lived in the city but i think the main reason the grill was stolen is that it was easily movable.