Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toast

Went to The Mecca! The Big Texan Steakhouse, Amarillo

7 posts in this topic

We just got back from Colorado on vacation. Round trip was 2140 miles from Shreveport Louisiana to Durango Colorado. I would recommend the real steam engine ride from Durango to Silverton to all by the way.

The 1st 500 miles got us to Amarillo Texas, Home of The Big Texan Steakhouse:

This was Monday night! Note the six empty chairs just waiting for the folks who can eat the 72 oz steak dinner and it's free... No takers while we were there.

ev2ps0.jpg

I HAD to check out the steak cooking rigs:

2m64yue.jpg

Friendly Folks:

10powhl.jpg

All I can say is YUM and they have FREE limo pick up and return to the hotel! NO STRINGS attached!

http://www.bigtexan.com/

Be sure to check out the live Steak Cam!

Toast, hey, that's some kind of place! Wish it was closer, I'd give that 72 Free steak a try! :) The video was nice - great promotion. No wonder they get so many through their doors each year! I'd go for that 32 oz Houston Ribeye special. My kind of place.

Really cool place - thanks for sharing it with us! :) By the way - I fixed your link so that it's live. :unsure:

mikey (wishing I was in Amarillo)! :)

I have stopped there and didn't find it all that good as a steakhouse. As a tourist trap it's near the top of that list though.

I have stopped there and didn't find it all that good as a steakhouse. As a tourist trap it's near the top of that list though.

No disrespect meant but after tasting what y'all call B-B-Q in NC, I can sure see what y'all mean.

I'd probably be able to eat about 12 oz of that steak with all the trimmings. Don't think it would be even worth a try for me but it looks like a really fun place to go. I'm sure I'd have to use that "bucket" next to the table if I tried! Some of these places aren't about having the best steak, but about being there. The atmosphere is what it's all about. There is a steakhouse about 100 miles from here that does this and it's really fun to watch! The steaks are pretty good but it's the atmosphere that makes it. Face it. We can all do better at home so it's not a comparison. Different seasonings. We cook what we like to eat so at home we can make it just the way we LOVE it!

Sinko PUKE-o

I'd probably be able to eat about 12 oz of that steak with all the trimmings. Don't think it would be even worth a try for me but it looks like a really fun place to go. I'm sure I'd have to use that "bucket" next to the table if I tried! Some of these places aren't about having the best steak, but about being there. The atmosphere is what it's all about. There is a steakhouse about 100 miles from here that does this and it's really fun to watch! The steaks are pretty good but it's the atmosphere that makes it. Face it. We can all do better at home so it's not a comparison. Different seasonings. We cook what we like to eat so at home we can make it just the way we LOVE it!

Sinko PUKE-o

Sinko,

You are right on there about atmosphere. NYC has a ton of restaurants just like that. Not the best food, but with TV commercials and all the hoopla with celebrities frequenting them - the crowds are drawn large every day. I do enjoy that sometimes with the food itself being secondary. My belief is that company makes the meal. A "so-so" burger with great friends tastes so much better than a perfect steak with a lousy neighbor (not that I have lousy neighbors - but you get my drift).

Which is why sometimes I'd prefer to dine out with good friends than eat home with some neighbors (not saying I have bad neighbors). :unsure::)

But every once in a while - you just have to have that perfect steak. And yes - home brewed is the only safe solution. :) And it's all the sweeter knowing that lousy neighbor is enviously looking over the fence while you eat it. (not that I have a lousy, nosy neighbor). :)

mikey

Sinko PUKE-o

I see what you guys are saying. The prob for me here locally is the cuts of meat available. Restaurants get 1st shot at the good beef. We keep hearing about how all the good restaurants get the best critter cuts of beef and such. Sure, we can buy market cuts at the grocery store but it's not top notch. but HEY! We all know the better the cut, the better the meal. I think that's what sets this particular steakhouse apart from a chain and or local gig.

Just my .02 :)

At any rate, It was a Blast! Happy 4th to All! :unsure: