Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wulfrunian

BBQ (smoke) in Wilmington NC?

19 posts in this topic

My guess the reason you don't see many restaurants using wood out east is because of the limited amount of hardwood. In Western NC and into the Piedmont you can find Oak, Hickory and fruit trees everywhere. But in the Sandhills and the coast Pinetrees are the main tree.

Rich ,

I ate at Wilbur's in Goldsboro just past the Semore Johnson AFB exit on US70 that place was OK and they used wood. One place out there had corn sticks I think it was Mitchell's BBQ in Wilson those things were the greatest. I'm typing this and now I remember it was Ed Mitchell that was on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. He built that new building or started that new building and closed down then thrown in jail for Taxes. He opened up another BBQ joint in Raleigh cooking with a partner doing the business side of things.

Two places if your ever out in eastern NC that has the least tasteless BBQ is Smithfield's and Swan's.

My guess the reason you don't see many restaurants using wood out east is because of the limited amount of hardwood. In Western NC and into the Piedmont you can find Oak, Hickory and fruit trees everywhere. But in the Sandhills and the coast Pinetrees are the main tree.

Rich ,

I ate at Wilbur's in Goldsboro just past the Semore Johnson AFB exit on US70 that place was OK and they used wood. One place out there had corn sticks I think it was Mitchell's BBQ in Wilson those things were the greatest. I'm typing this and now I remember it was Ed Mitchell that was on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. He built that new building or started that new building and closed down then thrown in jail for Taxes. He opened up another BBQ joint in Raleigh cooking with a partner doing the business side of things.

Two places if your ever out in eastern NC that has the least tasteless BBQ is Smithfield's and Swan's.

OK, thanks again. I've seen the Smithfield's and Swan's but have never stopped. People not from NC should know that Smithfield is a town about 50 or so miles east of Raleigh. There is a pork processing company that has also taken that name and, from my experience, you can rely of their cuts of pork -- I especially recommend their ribs.

Rich

Say, while on the general topic (if you can call 4 hours away the same topic), do you know of a good bbq place in or near Charlotte (say within the Concord range)? I'm asking for someone else whe get so Charlotte occasionally.

Rich

I should be talking to a couple friends in the Fayetteville area and I'll see if they know of any in Wilmington.

Rich,

My favorite BBQ place around here was Carolina Country BBQ. They used to have one in Hickory but priced themselves out of the area. The restaurant here was 100% wood smoked pit and it was where you could watch them do the work. Everything was cooked in and on that pit. I tried to find some addresses but it seems all of them are closed. If you see one open it is worth a stop. Can't miss the sign it's a hillbilly pig sucking on a straw of hay. In Monroe on US74 East you have Big Bob Gibson BBQ I've never been but I'm planning to check it out one day. I'll ask tomorrow night I should be down there. If not then I know I will be next week.

Yes on the quality pork shoulders from Smithfield. I always get their shoulders when I fix BBQ. But the restaurant has got a long way to go. Going there to get BBQ is like going to Micky D's to get a hamburger.