Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

MotorMouth

Big Bob Gibbson BBQ in Monroe, NC

8 posts in this topic

I have a new job now driving for Tyson Foods. I had an hour to spare when I was in Monroe, NC earlier this week and ate lunch at Big Bob Gibson BBQ. I will not be going back to that place ever again.

I ordered the Big Bob Combo and a Soft Drink for $22 not including tip.

3 ribs and pulled pork

2 sides, onion rings and baked beans

The waiter was nice the place was clean. My food came out quick and warm not hot!

They serve you 2 hush puppies at a time and they seemed like they were re-heated not fresh.

The ribs tasted like a salt lick. They had way to much salt added to them and just barely warm.

The pulled pork was not as warm as the ribs and only served about 1/3 of a cup. I didn't notice any smoke flavor at all.

The onion rings were the best I have ever tasted. They also severed a lot of them and hot. The breading was even all the way around and adhered to the rings when you bit into them. The spices were not strong well balanced.

The small cup of baked beans were good too and served hot.

I left as hungry as I was when I went in. I can go to places like Tar Heel Q in Mocksville, NC, Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC and Blue Mist in Asheboro, NC get my food hot, leave full and a lot cheaper. If that recipe for those ribs is what Chris Lilly used for those 10 Championships the rest of the competitors must have turned in rotten meat.

I ordered the Big Bob Combo and a Soft Drink for $22 not including tip.

3 ribs and pulled pork

2 sides, onion rings and baked beans

The ribs tasted like a salt lick. They had way to much salt added to them and just barely warm.

If that recipe for those ribs is what Chris Lilly used for those 10 Championships the rest of the competitors must have turned in rotten meat.

Thats a shame, for 22 bucks pretty weak on the meat as well, I had thought most of their wins were for their sauces, it seems they use the same rub for everything and rub the meat before cooking and during cooking, based on their recipe below, that rub murdered onto ribs, where you get slammed with it each bite, would sure make that "soft drink" come in handy.

And serving cold BBQ is a sin in my book, right up there with microwaving it to serve it.

1 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup garlic salt

1/3 cup onion salt

1/2 cup paprika

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon black pepper

$22.00?!!! Lame! Very lame! I'd a been talking to the manager for sure! Somebody sure dropped the ball on your order!

mikey

$22.00?!!! Lame! Very lame! I'd a been talking to the manager for sure! Somebody sure dropped the ball on your order!

mikey

To say the LEAST! If I had seen this on the menu for $22 I would have walked out immediately! There are MANY great Q places in NC and I've never seen a price like that at any I visited.

Thanks for the tipoff, MotorMouth.

Rich

I knew the owners personally and have competed against them over the years. I suspect that's the problem when you try and open multiple locations and have inexperienced people doing the prep work. I am shocked at the pricing for your meal. We served thousands of lunches over the years for $13.00/combo plate 3 ribs, sandwich and sides.

Oh well, new reputation will do them in very fast, especially in today's environment.

That's the thing with trying unknown places, sometimes you find a jewel and others just fill the empty spot. :)

That's the thing with trying unknown places, sometimes you find a jewel and others just fill the empty spot. :)

Ain't that the truth! :)

mikey