Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Don S

Near Disaster

31 posts in this topic

Just wanted to grill a couple of burgers after a hard day on the golf course. I can't get the grill to light, smell propane, but with lit match in hand I find this!

HOLY...................!

hose2_800_600.JPG

hose3_800_600.JPG

hose_800_600.JPG

I guess all the birdseed I put out doesn't satisfy these little brats.

I really think I dodged a big BULLET today!

Geez - I thought those hoses were like a stainless steel metal flex on the inside.. :(

But it's good that you shut your valve off when you don't use the grill - otherwise those little critters would have been asphyxiated! Yikes!

mikey

Geez - I thought those hoses were like a stainless steel metal flex on the inside.. :(

But it's good that you shut your valve off when you don't use the grill - otherwise those little critters would have been asphyxiated! Yikes!

mikey

Yeah! I think I may have to encase mine in the ss flex on the outside! The "title" critters are swarming the place and someday they are sure to pick on the propane line.

Sorry your "hard day" didn't end well, Don. :rolleyes:

Rich

Oh, but it did end well --- I didn't end up as a crispy critter.

Oh, but it did end well --- I didn't end up as a crispy critter.

OK -- +1

:)

Rich

That's probably from squirrels. They love gas lines for whatever reason. I've heard wrapping the line in aluminum foil stops them from nibbling. It's worth a shot. Mine is wrapped and hasn't been touched, despite an abundance of squirrels around here.

I replaced it with a dryer metal flex gas line. One adapter and all is well. Not sure I see any downsides to that!

That's probably from squirrels. They love gas lines for whatever reason. I've heard wrapping the line in aluminum foil stops them from nibbling. It's worth a shot. Mine is wrapped and hasn't been touched, despite an abundance of squirrels around here.

Wow I have never seen that. I have never given a thought to critters chewing on the gas line.

You should see what the squirrels did to my wiring in one of the buildings I have at home. They chewed through the 1/2" plywood soffit and up into the space between the joists to make a home. Guess they thought the wiring was tasty salt water taffy - they chewed entire sections of the insulation off about one foot long each! Never found a dead squirrel so I'm wondering what their secret was to not getting zapped!

mike

You should see what the squirrels did to my wiring in one of the buildings I have at home. They chewed through the 1/2" plywood soffit and up into the space between the joists to make a home. Guess they thought the wiring was tasty salt water taffy - they chewed entire sections of the insulation off about one foot long each! Never found a dead squirrel so I'm wondering what their secret was to not getting zapped!

mike

Squirrels and other rodents can make a real mess of things. Like this home pictured below. It cost 12K to fix this mess.

Raccoon fecal matter and urine soaked insulation and drywall.

post-7993-0-58964600-1334859176_thumb.jpg post-7993-0-80392100-1334859198_thumb.jpg post-7993-0-92471500-1334859299_thumb.jpg

Eric - that's nasty for sure!

I just removed a section of soffit on my Mom's garage (separate from the house). A raccoon had chewed in through the plywood and made itself a great little home/nest up there. She heard it making noise last week - we left the overhead door open overnight. So when we repaired it next day they (assuming more than one) had already fled the scene.. Mom was worried because she heard they will get into a car engine compartment and chew up the wiring. I replaced all the plastic vent strips with aluminum vents (on the soffits). Plus replaced the plywood that had large access holes chewed in by the little rascals.

Yea - rodents (really just cute little buggers) can do some serious damage if left to their own devices!

mike

even the new flexible metal gas lines they run in houses have issues it seems...lightning comes through the line outside and burns a hole right through the gas line in the house (it jumps out of the line to ground) :o

i guess we should all go back to schedule 40 steel lines ;)

Kevin

A decent pellet gun works as does rat poison :P

hood - NO! You wouldn't kill a squirrel, would you? Yikes! I'm all for arming the little varmints with Glock 9mm's... :lol:

mike