Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

grillman20

Portable Grills???

9 posts in this topic

Im somewhat new to grilling and currently trying to find a new propane powered, portable style grill for tailgating and picnicking. I was looking for something under $300 that would best suit me when Im traveling with it and of course able to cook good food!

I was curious to know if any of you guys had experience with portable grills, and if there are certain features I should look for in a portable grill before I buy one. Any advice or insight would be very helpful. Thanks!

Best thing going is one of the Weber Q models. Cook like a dream, made very well and hold up like nobody's business.

Hmmm, time back we had quite a discussion going on this subject. But it seems like when this site updated we lost tons of useful info from back in the day... :( Guess we'll just have to start over again. Meanwhile, I'll have to get together some photos of my portable unit which has worked well for me. Made by Grillware, it is a 12,000 BTU tabletop grill that works great for our needs - small enough to bring along but large enough to cook for six - eight people. The small propane bottles made life easy! Another member (Shelly) used an infrared unit that seemed to be great - I'll also have to find out which that one was. I believe his as well as mine are both smaller than the Q - but it all comes down to how big of a crowd you tailgate with.

Check back later. Sorry for not having all the info ready - thought I'd just link you to the past posts but they are now gone. Sigh..

mike

thanks guys, i appreciate it! Im still looking around but we'll soon be making a decision soon. If you think of anything else let me know. thanks again!

Myself I'm partial to the Holland Companion. All 304 stainless, easy to clean. Only negatives you normally see about the grill is that it takes longer to cook things on this grill just like the cart model Hollands. I carry the Companion around in our motorhome along with another portable the Woodflame Delecto. The Companion uses the the 1 lb bottles out of the box or you can buy the adapter and use a 5 or 20lb cyclinder if you desire.

Concerning the Companion if you are only a burger and dog guy this grill might not be for you. The weber Q is larger.

Im somewhat new to grilling and currently trying to find a new propane powered, portable style grill for tailgating and picnicking. I was looking for something under $300 that would best suit me when Im traveling with it and of course able to cook good food!

I was curious to know if any of you guys had experience with portable grills, and if there are certain features I should look for in a portable grill before I buy one. Any advice or insight would be very helpful. Thanks!

I would have to say the Weber Q can do everything you want.

The 100 would be just for travelling and the occasional cookout.

The 200, found here: Erics Q , is one of the most versatile grills around.

The 300 is a grill that could be used for anyone that cooks for 2-6 people very easily.

I would, and did, get mine used from Craigslist.

I would have to say the Weber Q can do everything you want.

The 100 would be just for travelling and the occasional cookout.

The 200, found here: Erics Q , is one of the most versatile grills around.

The 300 is a grill that could be used for anyone that cooks for 2-6 people very easily.

I would, and did, get mine used from Craigslist.

I can't answer the question personally, but Eric is not the only one who has praised the Weber Qs. Since I joined The Source, there have been lots of accolades for it. Before you decide, grillman, I'd search on Weber Q and read what's been posted.

Rich

i am new to grilling myself but I use a portable grill that has a water tray underneath,its an electric grill, the water evaporating makes the meat very soft, I would recommand one of those

Really interesting post. I made my decision and chosed Wieber. Meat is tasty, it's small enough to bring it with me everywhere and it doesn't require too much maintenance.