Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

richlife

Strip Steak Score

22 posts in this topic

Naaaah, you don't need all that, Rich. Like Mike said it is one of the most popular cuts because of its big beefy flavor. Steak that puppy up and don't be afraid to chew it 2 or 3 more times per bite. Just allows you to enjoy the flavor that much more.

I would salt it heavily an hour before cooking then pat it down well to make sure you get a nice crusty sear. Also be especially sure to rest it long enough before eating, even if it gets a little cooler than you are used to. The extra juice retention is worth it.

in my opinion if you braise/boil any beef to a certain temp for long enough it becomes a vessel to carry the flavor of the broth it created :)

Well, it will certainly carry the flavor and the texture will become quite tender over 190 degrees. But my mother used to always make her beef stew with cheap round roasts and no amount of gravy could help that dried out, chalky beef. I'll eat it and not complain, but something with a little connective tissue has such a better mouth feel. Chuck rules for slow cooking and it only costs a buck or two more than round.

I only make slow-cooked roast beef out of round cuts palatable by slicing them as thin as humanly possible across the grain.And cooking it no hotter than medium rare.

Naaaah, you don't need all that, Rich. Like Mike said it is one of the most popular cuts because of its big beefy flavor. Steak that puppy up and don't be afraid to chew it 2 or 3 more times per bite. Just allows you to enjoy the flavor that much more.

I would salt it heavily an hour before cooking then pat it down well to make sure you get a nice crusty sear. Also be especially sure to rest it long enough before eating, even if it gets a little cooler than you are used to. The extra juice retention is worth it.

Well, it will certainly carry the flavor and the texture will become quite tender over 190 degrees. But my mother used to always make her beef stew with cheap round roasts and no amount of gravy could help that dried out, chalky beef. I'll eat it and not complain, but something with a little connective tissue has such a better mouth feel. Chuck rules for slow cooking and it only costs a buck or two more than round.

I only make slow-cooked roast beef out of round cuts palatable by slicing them as thin as humanly possible across the grain.And cooking it no hotter than medium rare.

Sounds like my mom knows your mom :D

And mine! And my wife, too... :<( How did you know what we had last night? Her mother is visiting and guess what?

Sheila is cooking for her mother. Tonight is chicken enchiladas -- with boiled chicken. And a special plate for Mother dear with no cheese! Thankfully, I just made up a batch of my chipotle salsa, so I'll get by.

Haven't touched that strip steak yet and tomorrow we have to go out for dinner. <sigh>. And then there will be leftovers... <sigh>. Something tells me I'll be enjoying steak instead of pot roast leftovers.

Rich

And mine! And my wife, too... :<( How did you know what we had last night? Her mother is visiting and guess what?

Sheila is cooking for her mother. Tonight is chicken enchiladas -- with boiled chicken. And a special plate for Mother dear with no cheese! Thankfully, I just made up a batch of my chipotle salsa, so I'll get by.

Haven't touched that strip steak yet and tomorrow we have to go out for dinner. <sigh>. And then there will be leftovers... <sigh>. Something tells me I'll be enjoying steak instead of pot roast leftovers.

Rich

You need to take the bull by the horns Rich and go grab that poor chicken and grill it and shred it for her, try to make it look like your trying to help her out.

My wife boiled my chicken once and when I found out she wasn't making chicken soup, I almost wound up sleeping on the couch :lol:

Hates boiled chicken.........

jim

The only meat that belongs in a pot of boiling water with no other ingredients is corned beef.

Good advice, jimbo -- I'll do that.

We have comfortable couches... :(

Rich

The only meat that belongs in a pot of boiling water with no other ingredients is corned beef.

+11111