Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

richlife

Some catchup

42 posts in this topic

Me, just a baby aspirin just before bed each night. No doctors orders - just my own conviction that it helps. But you can't argue that meds are wonderful in today's world. Biggest thing is getting the right ones prescribed (spelled VERY SMART, UP TO DATE & KNOWLEDGEABLE DOCTOR) and the timing, as hood points out.

mike

Coupled with (spelled VERY SMART, UP TO DATE & KNOWLEDGEABLE PATIENT)

;) ;) ;)

Wow Rich! Scary stuff for sure, glad you are ok. My BIL had the same thing and went into cardiac as he was entering the emergency room and they basically said if he had been anywhere else he would not be alive...

Take it easy...

Rich,

Please add me to the list of your well wishers. Scary that it happened to one of our own.

I'm a firm believer, now at 69, of blood work every 3 months to keep me on the right path with what I eat.

Making changes in our diet is really not that difficult once you find appropriate replacement foods. If I just ate the foods in my book, I'd live to 100 as they are healthy, nutritious low fat items. But I do love my red meats.

Here's to you being a contributing member here for many more years.

Shelly

I can't believe what I just finished reading. Rich, so glad to hear you telling your own story. And I'm glad your telling it here. You even responded to my cardiac episode in Shelley's "No Foil" thread without mentioning your incidence. I didn't realize.

And now it's all coming out. James is on this, Dave went trough that. Mikey knows someone on this and he's taking that.

Rich, sorry it took your issue to have us all reveal some of our cardiological short comings and to be aware how vulnerable we could with our love affair with BBQing. In the 50s, 60s club, our mental enthusiasms are far stronger than our physical attributes. Not saying to slow down by any means just to be aware especially of what we eat. Actually, I preach a lot louder than I practice. Silly.

Welcome home Rich. Thank Goodness, you never left. I'm still shocked.

If anyone hasn't tried "No Salt", it satisfies my limited needs and it's Potassium Chloride, not Sodium.

Bye the way Rich, I believe the Statin Crestor comes in 5mg dosages as apposed to Zocor. If it's a real issue ask your doc.

SERIOUSLY NOW, BEST OF HEALTH TO EVERYONE

AND ONE MORE THING. Now I'm angry.

Ever since my stent insertion, I've been reading more and more labels of the food I purchase. It sickens me how much fat and salt we consume in items that really don't seem to warrant the quantities used. You can't get away from it with any normally prepared food items. Also it seems, anything with lower salt or fat content are proportionately higher in price. It figures.... Really angry now.

Ever since my stent insertion, I've been reading more and more labels of the food I purchase. It sickens me how much fat and salt we consume in items that really don't seem to warrant the quantities used. You can't get away from it with any normally prepared food items. Also it seems, anything with lower salt or fat content are proportionately higher in price. It figures.... Really angry now.

Oh and add to the list High Fructose Corn Syrup. That S%^T finds it's way in to nearly EVERYTHING and I am sick (literally) of it. The harm that crap causes the body (especially the liver) is beyond belief. On TV some jerk walks with some beautiful little girl in a cornfield telling us "our body can't tell the difference". What a bunch of bull s^&t. Tell that to my doctor who nearly made me go through a bunch of painful liver tests until she found out the soda I drank caused the issue.

I swear I think I want to pack it in here in the US and go live in Germany or the like. In Europe they are not allowed to use that crap, nor are they allowed to shove GMO products down your throat and not disclose it. Yeah you can buy the stuff but it is labeled clearly and succinctly unlike here where you find out you're consuming products that chemically and genetically do you harm only because your doctor finds out (maybe too late) :angry:

UH OH,

I think someone else is a little perturbed

UH OH,

I think someone else is a little perturbed

Ya think?! :D

Elliot when I shop If I see something on there that I can't pronounce, or don't know what it is, than I don't buy it.

#1 Heres your pretty standard (advertised) healthy bread (not):

Enriched Bleached Flour [wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Whole Grain Flour, Brown Rice Flour (rice Flour, Rice Bran)], Water, Whey, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Yeast Contains 2% or Less Of Each Of the Following: Vegetable Oil (soybean and or Cottonseed Oils), Calcium Sulfate, Salt, Dough Conditioners (may Contain One or More Of the Following: Mono- and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Peroxide, Datem, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide Enzymes), Guar Gum, Calcium Propionate (preservative), Distilled Vinegar, Butter (cream, Salt), Yeast Nutrients (monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Ammonium Sulfate and or Calcium Carbonate), Corn Starch, Natural Flavor, Vitamin D3, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour.

#2 Heres bread I buy:

100% Whole Wheat, Water, Barley, Millet, Malted Barley, Lentils, Soybeans, Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Wheat Gluten

#2 Because it has no preservatives, you do have to store it in the refrigerator.

#1 Can sit on your counter for 2 months :o

#1 sends my spell check into a frenzy :P Does anybody know what that junk is?

I agree you cant even buy canned tomatoes without it being loaded with junk and salt

We need to all do like Shelly and grow our own produce and make everything from scratch

"The Environmental Working Group compiles a yearly list of fruits and vegetables with the highest levels of pesticide residues, based on USDA and FDA testing data. The current top 12 are:"

Apples

Celery

Sweet Bell Peppers

Peaches

Strawberries

Nectarines (imported)

Grapes

Spinach

Lettuce

Cucumbers

Blueberries

Potatoes

You can scrub any of these till the cows come home, but I'm pretty sure if its in the soil, its in the food

Kinda makes you stop and think B)

jim

James,

I like the no pronounce philosophy. I'll consider that approach on Sunday when I do my weekly shopping. I doubt that I can fill the cart unless I go to a specialty store. I'm in the City where everything is tainted. Who knows what's natural here or not.

Also, I can spend easily between 150.00 and 200.00 normally for the 3 of us in the average supermarket. In a health food store, I could imaging the increase. With my daughter coming home from school this week, that much more. But what's more important that health, right.

As far as bread goes, I'll just buy matzoh (flour and water) but the flour is probably bleached. It'll just be used to hold the pastrami I eat to watch my salt and fat intake.

I really shouldn't kid about this and get on the right track regarding food intake. Sooner or later it all catches up.

Next week I'll be planting my summer's intake of vegetables and fruits and harvest them for as long as I can.

James,

I like the no pronounce philosophy. I'll consider that approach on Sunday when I do my weekly shopping. I doubt that I can fill the cart unless I go to a specialty store. I'm in the City where everything is tainted. Who knows what's natural here or not.

Also, I can spend easily between 150.00 and 200.00 normally for the 3 of us in the average supermarket. In a health food store, I could imaging the increase. With my daughter coming home from school this week, that much more. But what's more important that health, right.

As far as bread goes, I'll just buy matzoh (flour and water) but the flour is probably bleached. It'll just be used to hold the pastrami I eat to watch my salt and fat intake.

I really shouldn't kid about this and get on the right track regarding food intake. Sooner or later it all catches up.

Next week I'll be planting my summer's intake of vegetables and fruits and harvest them for as long as I can.

Yeah its hard Elliot, I find the low carb/fat items are in more variety than the low sodium products, its really hard to find both in the same item, I look at stuff like "Lean Cuisine" fantastic low everything till you get to the 950mg of salt per serving.

I'm lucky my blood levels are good and my Hypertension is primary, or essential, meaning that it exists as a separate entity not related to any identifiable disease, secondary Hypertension means that it occurs as a result of another disease process, which could be the boat you and Rich are in with the artery problems.

I find by knowing how much salt is in what I'm eating I can plan my meals a day at a time and not go over 1500mg's a day, if i get 100mg's in cereal for breakfast and eat rabbit food for lunch I can then have a cheeseburger with 1400mg's for dinner.

jim

Sorry, for dropping out on you guys. I like where this tread is now and will leave it open as EVERYONE should be aware of this crap -- but I'll start a new one also for us to continue on what's happened to me (nothing serious). After all, you know I love to talk about myself.

elliot and jimbo, I'm right in your camp on the crap in our "prepared" foods. That's causing a lot of issues with us right now. Jim, you mentioned the canned tomatoes!!!!! I wanted soup for lunch yesterday -- the best I could find was black bean with ONLY 590 gms of salt!!!

I'm sure glad all you guys are around with tips, pointers and methods. Thank you from the bottom of my now strongly beating heart. :P

(Oh, and I won't abandon this thread.)

Rich

Rich

Yes unless you have the ability to grow your own food. Eating healthy is very expensive.

Thats why I eat so much fish. I catch it , I store it. I cook it.

I only buy fresh kill from a slaughterhouse. Anything else only comes from COSTCO.

I have a rule. If the word FRESH is in the name of the market. I wont shop in it.

It is a given that markets are only suppose to sell fresh food. If they have to remind us it is fresh, that usually means it is not

Legally, fresh means not frozen. Produce, fish, etc. can be on the shelves for days or weeks and still be considered fresh. But in the public's mind, fresh means just picked, caught, etc.

If you're going to read labels on canned foods, please also do so with frozen processed pre cooked foods like meatballs, chicken strips, tator tots, etc. They're convenient, very tastey and higher in fat and salt than most canned goods. And you may have to stop eating in some of your favorite restaurants.

Or send for a copy of my cookbook which is full of low fat, low salt ideas (not Ronald who has).

Shameless plug. :-)

Shelly