#1 convertedman

convertedman

• Grill Mates
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:
    Renovating my money pit

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum and joined to see if I could get some help with an issue on my CC-1 gas grill. A little background first. When we bought our house last year there was this gas grill on the back porch that looked like it should have been tossed 20 years ago. I decided to hold onto it for a couple months till I could find something I wanted but needed to order some new grates for it. Anyway, started researching it online and found out its worth more money than I had imagined. Decided then to keep it and refurbish it. 

Now the questions. When I started replacing parts, several screw were stripped or just rusted and had to be drilled out and re tapped.

When I tried to remove the dual valve assembly on the front the whole piece of cast aluminum broke off with the valve and was disintegrated. I took a piece of 1/8in steel and secured it to the front to be able to mount the valves again. Does anyone have any ideas to make it look better?

Also, This grill has a gas regulator on that now no longer works. Is it possible to bypass this regulator? I have looked online and called several suppliers and cannot find a replacement.

Thanks.

#2 underthehood

underthehood

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

I cannot imagine a Charmglow anything being worth anything more than scrap. Perhaps post some photos

Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, Q140Electric Wolf BBQ 36C

#3 vanole

vanole

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Convertedman,

Last year a poster (artmajor5) posted about a CC-1. I responed with a bit of history on Charmglow products and there now named parent company Modern Home Products (MHP). Actually in one response to the poster I found a pic of the grill on Craigslist. Looked like a heck of a grill with unique cooking arrangement.

You might ask MHP for parts issues.

Another frequent postern on here Michelliot chimed in on the CC-1 thread I mentioned above and indicated he previosly had one of the grills and retied it after 30yrs. Which speaks volumes about its test of time.

V/R
Jeff
My Herd:
Kikuya Hibatchi Pot (1975)
2 Weber Kettles: 18.5 (77);22.5 (00)
Holland Classic Model BH-421-SG-2 (96) added the Searmate IR Burner (10)
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Bayou Classic Dual Burner Stove/Fryer (98)
2 Large Big Green Eggs (98) & (02)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
Lodge Dutch Oven Table w/Tall Windscreen (08)
American Outdoor Grill Model 24PC (10)
Holland Legacy LS BH421-SS-3 (adopted 10)
Phoenix Grill PG-2001-P (11)
Holland Companion BH-213-MG-1(11)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)
Vidalia 628 (13)
Phoenix SDSOP (14)
Holland Epic BH412AG4 (14)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#4 convertedman

convertedman

• Grill Mates
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:
    Renovating my money pit

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

Vanole- That thread was how I found this forum. You had some good info on there. I have not tried to contact MHP yet. I was talking last week with I think one of the owners of bbq parts.com about my thinking the dual gas valve I purchased from them being defective. That's when we came to the conclusion the regulator is probably the culprit. The guy said being that gas pressure to houses are already regulated now, I would not need the appliance regulator and could bypass it.

Just my way of thinking is if something comes with a regulator is should probably not be bypassed. I will post a couple pics later of the refinishing process in progress. I am done sanding and prepping the 2 lids and working on the bottom now. 

Underthehood- I have read quite a few topics on here that you have posted on. One of them being the thread Vanole mentioned above. I was thinking you would have had some good advice or at least some info on my questions. Fyi, The double tank and 2 lids are cast aluminum and quite sturdy. The original owner had it installed when the house was built in 1971. and the second owner who I bought the house from said he used it all the time, I have replaced all the grates, ceramic briquettes, handles, and I have used it to at least twice a week for the last year and it produces some excellent food. So, I guess I am saying I believe it is worth quite a bit more than just scrap! At least to me :D

#5 underthehood

underthehood

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

Apparently someone else had posted and had photos. Charmglow is not part of MHP to the best of my knowledge any more. Hence the confusion I had with the original post you made. SInce Charmglow is now simply a badge put on Chinese stuff dumped in this country. Way back in the day names like Charmglow, CharBroil and so on were quality products not the Chinese stuff it is today.

Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, Q140Electric Wolf BBQ 36C

#6 Abeach2bum

Abeach2bum

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

It appears there isn't a Charmglow grill made anymore - Chinese or otherwise. Do an internet seach and all you get are listings for Charmglow parts. I did see a used one on eBay.

Scott
Strada V - Barbeques Galore - Nexgrill Origin LP
4 main buners + one IR sear 60,000 btu
One IR rotisserie burner
One 12,000 btu side burner
Char-griller Akorn King Griller (kamado style)

#7 convertedman

convertedman

• Grill Mates
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:
    Renovating my money pit

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Just an Fyi for anyone else that also might have a CC-1 grill. I did call MHP yesterday afternoon and spoke with a guy named Thomas Koziol. He is the president of MHP and the son of Walter Koziol who built the First gas grill in the 60's and also the cc-1. Needless to say Tom had a lot of good info on my grill. 

He hooked me up with a valve part# VLV17B which will go in in place of the bad regulator. He also threw in 2 new oriffice for my control valve to lower the gas pressure to the burnners. Very pleased with the customer service and willingness to help. You don't see that much these days. 

I will get some pics of the rebuild this weekend. 

#8 vanole

vanole

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

Convertean,

Glad MHP helped you out. Very unique grill you got. Seeing some pics on the web the CC-1 on wheels looks hefty.

I have two MHP products both Phoenix grills and spoke with customer service twice with great results.

Good luck with your rebuild.
My Herd:
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)
Vidalia 628 (13)
Phoenix SDSOP (14)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#9 underthehood

underthehood

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

Well how 'bout some photos?!

Weber Owner

#10 convertedman

convertedman

• Grill Mates
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:
    Renovating my money pit

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

20150530_134833.jpg
20150530_134857.jpg
Here some of the rehab in process. Alot of sanding and cleaning. Doubt it has ever been cleaned before I got to it
20150530_135309.jpg
This one is the decision making process I am in now. Go back to the flat high heat black like on the left or high heat silver on the right. Decisions, decisions!

#11 vanole

vanole

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

Looks great and I applaud you for bringing the CC-1 back to its former glory.

Jeff
My Herd:
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)
Vidalia 628 (13)
Phoenix SDSOP (14)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#12 michelliot

michelliot

Advanced Member

• Grill Masters
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:
    Music / Photography
    Fishing / Camping
    Golf / Wood Refinishing
    Turning on my Mac
    I know there's something else...
    ------------------------------
    Oh yeah, Grilling

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

i had a charmglow grill which lasted me at least 30 years.  Great to see you're restoring yours.  In some respects I miss my old one.

The one I owned was similar to the one pictured below, but It seems to be from the same time frame. 

When I was replacing parts later on, I believe MHP was my source as well.

Enjoy the fruit/BBQ of your labor.

Elliot

Regarding paint:

I know I've seen the expression before: "GRILLS, Once you go black, you never go back."

....unless something was misspelled. (NOI)

I imagine the silver would be harder to keep clean.  Decisions, decisions.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_12201311203859.jpg

Forest Green EP-310 Genesis
Coleman side burner/grill combo (can't go campin' without grillin')
30 year Charmglow (laid to rest)

#13 convertedman

convertedman

• Grill Mates
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:
    Renovating my money pit

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

Yeah, I wanted the silver but, the cleaning will have to be more frequent. Found a gloss black the other day in the high heat. Probably going with that. All to do now is fill in some oxidation pitting and paint!

#14 Richiemightbederanged

Richiemightbederanged

• Grill Mates
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

20150530_134833.jpg
20150530_134857.jpg
Here some of the rehab in process. Alot of sanding and cleaning. Doubt it has ever been cleaned before I got to it
20150530_135309.jpg
This one is the decision making process I am in now. Go back to the flat high heat black like on the left or high heat silver on the right. Decisions, decisions!

#15 Richiemightbederanged

Richiemightbederanged

• Grill Mates
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

I am off to a wonderful start registering on Easter Sunday and interrupting a moderators golf game.I am celebrating my first BBQ on my modified CC1 grills.A friend down the street gave me a cart type and I had an old post type with no lids or burners.Mounted both side by side on aluminum 2x4's and modified the valve bracket for clearance leaving the fitting vertical.Capped off one side of each tee,changed the orifice to propane size and used a two line from HD.I then added a truck tool box diamondplate aluminum lid to convert the cart base to a rolling server/storage cart.

Both grills had no rock grate so I filled it with lava rock / ceramics on top and placed a stainless perforated grate on that.This thing is a beast!I will read up on how to post picks and update tomorrow.Happy Easter,Richie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users