BBQ Source Forums: cleaning a porcelain grill, What's the Best to Use? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cleaning a porcelain grill, What's the Best to Use?

#1 User is offline   Eric P. D. 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

I bought in January a Vermont Casting Grill...great deal!!! Anyways, I didn't know that you shouls cover the grates with bacon lard. I have used it all summer and I have tried to clean it. I'm afraid to use a brush and scratch the poreclain. What should I use??

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

View PostEric P. D., on Aug 27 2006, 08:40 PM, said:

I bought in January a Vermont Casting Grill...great deal!!! Anyways, I didn't know that you shouls cover the grates with bacon lard. I have used it all summer and I have tried to clean it. I'm afraid to use a brush and scratch the poreclain. What should I use??
Hi Eric P. D.,

Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums. I'm glad you are enjoying your new grill.

Porcelain is a ceramic coating, normally over steel. It is quite hard. A stainless steel or brass wire brush should be fine to use. Don't use a carbon steel type wire brush. This material can be hard enough to scratch the porcelain. Most of the oven cleaners are also save for porcelain, though I would suggest still reading the can before using to be sure.

The biggest issue with porcelain coating, it is brittle and does not expand at the same rate as the steel it is attached to. Over time with heating and cooling the porcelain will develop micro-fractures in the surface. By seasoning, coating with bacon grease, lard or other like products these small micro-fractures get filled in reducing the chances of the porcelain cracking off due to moisture finding its way into the voids and causing corrosion and popping off of the coating.

So, to the point on your question, use a brass or stainless steel wire brush for general cleaning, and find one of the ceramic safe oven cleaners for heavy cleaning. Normally after you have to re-season the grates after a heavy cleaning to keep foods from sticking.

Regards,

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users