• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Burner ignition problem

#16 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

View PostGrill4Fun, on Sep 12 2006, 03:35 PM, said:

OK now I'll have to check, but am pretty sure that the battery fires all the ignitors. And if it does not, then where is the power coming from to do so?
Hi Jim,

This is apparently a change in design for the 2006 model year grills. The early models, including mine, use a piezoelectric igniter built into each of the main burner gas knobs. Piezoelectric igniter is a crystal that produces a spark when impacted. No battery needed. The later grills use an electronic igniter that requires a battery. I personally don’t like the electronic type and prefer the piezoelectric igniters, simple because there is less to go wrong. Not one of Jenn Air’s better moves in my opinion.

Happy Grilling,

Eric D ;)
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#17 User is offline   bob the burner 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

View PostGrill4Fun, on Sep 12 2006, 02:35 PM, said:

OK now I'll have to check, but am pretty sure that the battery fires all the ignitors. And if it does not, then where is the power coming from to do so?

Each one of my burners has a seperate starter. The side burner does not require the batt.

#18 User is offline   Grill4Fun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:13 AM

View PostEric D, on Sep 12 2006, 03:55 PM, said:

Hi Jim,

This is apparently a change in design for the 2006 model year grills. The early models, including mine, use a piezoelectric igniter built into each of the main burner gas knobs. Piezoelectric igniter is a crystal that produces a spark when impacted. No battery needed. The later grills use an electronic igniter that requires a battery. I personally don’t like the electronic type and prefer the piezoelectric igniters, simple because there is less to go wrong. Not one of Jenn Air’s better moves in my opinion.

Happy Grilling,

Eric D ;)

Thanks Eric. Yes, last night I verified that the battery is controlling all the igniters on the main grill area. I didn't try the side burner though. Maybe that one is the piezo style.

Indeed, the old "clicker" style igniters are very dependable. I never had one fail either. We'll see how the electronic's work out in the log run. So far I love them and they're working just like the ones on my cooktop in the house...click-click-click-click, until the job is done. :D

I love this grill :)
Jim
JennAir 730-0165-NG

#19 User is offline   Mark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

View PostGrill4Fun, on Sep 13 2006, 12:13 PM, said:

Thanks Eric. Yes, last night I verified that the battery is controlling all the igniters on the main grill area. I didn't try the side burner though. Maybe that one is the piezo style.

Indeed, the old "clicker" style igniters are very dependable. I never had one fail either. We'll see how the electronic's work out in the log run. So far I love them and they're working just like the ones on my cooktop in the house...click-click-click-click, until the job is done. :lol:

I love this grill :D

On my unti the battery controls all ignitors except for the side burner. My ignitor(s) stopped today for no reason and I cannot get them to work. Checked all wiring and tried 2 different batteries and still nothing. This grills is making me mad LOL

MArk

#20 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

View PostNeil A, on Sep 10 2006, 10:28 PM, said:

Well, here's the resolution to my problem with the burner ignition.

I hopped in my old truck and took myself to the Lowe's store. Met up with the fellow working in the grill area and explained my problem. He said he had never heard it and told me to try replacing the battery, which, of course I had already done - twice. He wanted to know if I was sure the burners were getting gas - yes I can match light them all. His next suggestion was to call the 800 number on the grill to see if this was a known problem. I told him it was known to several people on this forum. He said I would have to get an authorization number from Jenn-Air to return the grill. I asked if Lowe's didn't have a 90 day warranty, he said yes, but it would require an OK from one of the mangers, to which I replied, "Let's go find one."

I got to the manager who made all the same suggestions and finally asked, "Well, what do you want?" "A new grill." says I. He mulled that over for a while and finally said "OK, I guess we can do that." So after rounding up some friends to lift that heavy grill in to the back of my truck, off to Lowe's I went. Got all the paperwork for the exchange and as we're rolling the new grill out, I noticed a small dent down near the bottom of the left hand corner of the cabinet. I pointed it out and the manager replied "Well it won't affect how it cooks." And I said, "But the one I brought back wasn't damaged." He looked at me and said, "Do you want a discount?" Well, duh. So back to do more paperwork and he was going to refund me 10% of the original price. I reminded him I purchased it during the 20% off sale but I guess he did not want to start over.

So the result, I have a brand new 4 burner grill (and yes the ignitor is working, at least for now) and $96 in my pocket.

I must admit, Lowe's scores high on customer service with me right now.

Thanks to all to responded to my post.

Happy grilling,
Neil A

Oh, and one other thing. The orginial grill I purchased had a manufacture date of 12/05. The new has a date of 3/06. In the first one, when I removed the battery cover, the cap had only a tapered point to contact the battery, with a spring at the bottom of the holder. In the new one, there is a spring in the cap as well as at the bottom and the cap spring surrounds the upper part of the batter. Now I'm wondering if it was a design flaw that was corrected. Also, and my eyes could be playing tricks on me, but I'd swear the IR burner for the rotisserie is wider on this new one.

Thanks again for your responses. There seems to be a good bunch of folks on this forum.
;)Ditto... I just bought a replacement freezer on sale from Lowe's...it was not delivered and they forgot to pick it up from another store...anyway when it was delivered they gave me 15% off for the inconvience..$115 credit..Yes they are customer friendly.
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users