Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advice on using sear burner Jenn-Air 720-0165

#1 User is offline   Wally 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

Well, I did some NY steaks as the first grill on my new Jenn-Air, and I swear they were the best steaks I've ever had! (At least cooked by me.) Now I'd like to use the sear burner, but the manual says NOTHING about how to use it--how long, elc. I know someone out there has used one, so could you either point me to those posts or give me a few pointers?
Thanks,
Wally

P.S. Is this the right forum for this question, or should I be in Jenn-Air?

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:00 PM

Wally, on Sep 15 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

Well, I did some NY steaks as the first grill on my new Jenn-Air, and I swear they were the best steaks I've ever had! (At least cooked by me.) Now I'd like to use the sear burner, but the manual says NOTHING about how to use it--how long, elc. I know someone out there has used one, so could you either point me to those posts or give me a few pointers?
Thanks,
Wally

Hi Wally,

Hey, this forum is just fine for your question. I'm sure one of the other guys here will give you the ins and outs of using your sear burner.

Glad you joined us here at the BBQ Source Forums.

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#3 User is offline   bill b 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:32 AM

Wally, on Sep 15 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

Thanks,
Wally

Hi Wally,

It depends a little on the meat and thickness but I usually heat the grate over the sear burner at least two minutes to get the grate hot. Then place the meat over the sear burner about 30-45 seconds. Then I rotate it 90 degrees and leave it for about the same time. Then flip the meat and repeat the cycle. It makes for a great looking cross hatch sear marks and a great flavor. Then I finish the meat over the main burners to the doneness desired.

Bill B
75K 730-0165 NG May 2006
Utensile mod using drawer pulls
Rotisserie holder
Second rotisserie skewer
Dual SS Smoker boxes
Warming rack storage
Griddle/Grate storage inside LP compartment
Paper towel and wrap holder inside door

#4 User is offline   Wally 

• Pip

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

Well, Bill, that sounds easy enough. Will try it on the next batch of steaks. Thanks.
Wally

#5 User is offline   bill b 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:17 AM

Wally, on Sep 20 2006, 04:47 PM, said:

Well, Bill, that sounds easy enough. Will try it on the next batch of steaks. Thanks.
Wally

You're welcome Wally. Let us know how they turned out. ;)

Bill B
75K 730-0165 NG May 2006
Rotisserie holder
Second rotisserie skewer
Dual SS Smoker boxes
Warming rack storage

#6 User is offline   JohnS_323 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    My kids, reef keeping, scuba diving and golf

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Hi Wally,

Bill is right on for how to use the burner for meat steaks. Plus if you like tuna steaks (or any other fish, I'd guess), it's great for them too. I like mine a little rare and they come out perfect straight off the sear burner.

I get a couple nice thick cuts of tuna and marinade them for a while in a blend of soy, sherry, ginger and fresh ground black pepper. I heat the burner for about 3 minutes, then throw the steaks on for about 2 minutes per side. They come out perfect. The outside is seared nicely and the center is nice and rare.

Mmmmmmm . . . . . I know what I'm doing for dinner tomorrow!
Jenn Air 720-0165

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I apologize if my last remarks sounded a bit condescending . . . that means when you talk down to people . . . .

#7 User is offline   bill b 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:23 AM

JohnS_323, on Sep 21 2006, 09:20 PM, said:

Hi Wally,

Bill is right on for how to use the burner for meat steaks. Plus if you like tuna steaks (or any other fish, I'd guess), it's great for them too. I like mine a little rare and they come out perfect straight off the sear burner.

I get a couple nice thick cuts of tuna and marinade them for a while in a blend of soy, sherry, ginger and fresh ground black pepper. I heat the burner for about 3 minutes, then throw the steaks on for about 2 minutes per side. They come out perfect. The outside is seared nicely and the center is nice and rare.

Mmmmmmm . . . . . I know what I'm doing for dinner tomorrow!

Hi JohnS_323,

Boy does that sound good. ;) How about some pictures of the finished product? :P

Bill B
75K 730-0165 NG May 2006
Rotisserie holder
Second rotisserie skewer
Dual SS Smoker boxes
Warming rack storage

#8 User is offline   rdubya 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

Hi there, just got a new Jenn Air 3 Burner and love it! Did 2 chickens on the rotisserie last night and they turned out great.

My question is about the sear burner...do you heat it up with the lid closed to get to the proper searing temp?

#9 User is offline   techiepm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

rdubya, on Mar 25 2007, 09:51 AM, said:

Hi there, just got a new Jenn Air 3 Burner and love it! Did 2 chickens on the rotisserie last night and they turned out great.

My question is about the sear burner...do you heat it up with the lid closed to get to the proper searing temp?

Interesting question because just last night I had to do some experimenting with this on my new Jenn-Air 4 burner. I'd done some rib-eyes twice since I got the grill a few weeks ago, but never really got the true "sear" I was expecting. Anyway, yesterday I bought a surface thermometer and decided to make sure the grate over the sear burner was at an acceptable temperature before attempting, yes, you guessed it, more rib-eyes. Of course, as usual, about the time I lit the sear burner the wind kicked up a bit which doesn't help the amount of time it takes for it to warm up as well as keep the burner lit, so I did close the lid resting on the surface thermomenter. It wasn't fully closed, but propped up an inch or so. This did seem to help with increasing the temperature and staying lit, but the draw back I found was that the lid gets hot quickly so you can't just grab it and open it. In the end, I opened the lid back up, gave the sear 8-10 minutes, and it was up to temp.

So to answer your question, in my opinion, I would not close the lid while heating up the sear burner due to the fact you don't want to burn yourself trying to open the lid back up. I'm not sure of the effects the intense heat may eventually have on the stainless, but someone else here may have an opinion on that. Hope that helps a bit.

By the way, by giving the sear burner time to get up over 400 degrees gave me what I was looking for from a sear perspective. Some of the best steaks I've had anywhere in a long time. :lol:

Steven

'07 Jenn-Air 720-0337
E-Z Que Cradle Rotisserie
Marshall 290 two-stage regulator

Klose 20x40 Backyard Chef Smoker

#10 User is offline   carnivor 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

When I use my Sear Burner I do as followed:
1. Warm up the sear burner to be very hot
2. Sear steak on one side about 45 seconds to a minute
3. Flip steak and sear on other side for about one minute.
4. Flip/Rotate and move steak to regular burners on medium heat. You get the checker box effect. Let cook about 3 minutes or so.
5. Flip steak last time again on regular burner untill cooked.

The time on the regular burners depend on thickness of steak and how you like it.
Thats how I do it.

#11 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

rdubya, on Mar 25 2007, 06:51 AM, said:

To ans your question. The sear burner should heat up pretty quickly, so you don't have to close the lid. Of course, as earlier reponder stated, the wind may play havoc with the sear burner, It should take less than 5 minutes for a sear burner to get the grates hot enough to sear.
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08
---------------------------------------------------

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users