Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Natural Gas to Propane Conversion - Converting Jenn-Air 720-0100NG

#1 User is offline   menkes 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:06 PM

I purchased my Jenn-Air (nexgrill) a little over a year ago. At the time I lived in suburbia and had NG plumbed to the patio.

However, I now live in the country and LP is the only option. While I do have a bulk tank, I really don't need to hook up to it as I have several 7gal tanks that the propane company will fill when they fill the big one.

Anyways...from what I understand I need smaller orifices to run LP to this grill. My questions are:

1. Are new orifices all I need?
2. Where would I find these orifices?

I have called Nexgrill and they say it can't be converted. I assume that is a legal position they have taken, not a technical one.

FYI: I am handy, but generally not mechanically inclined....so please be as explicit as possible in any responses.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

Menkes,

Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums. If you were to ask Nextgill or Lowes they will tell you that you can not convert it and that you would have to purchase a LP model. For some people that are not handy with tools this might in fact be the safest option. Now for me, I tend to be on the adventurous side, and tend to try anything, at least once. If I was in your situation, I would opt to convert my grill from natural gas to propane. Understand that I'm in no way saying you should, I'm just telling you what I would do.

To do the conversion a few things have to change. You pointed out the main one, which would be the orifices for each of the burners, including the rotisserie and sear burners, and I would need a pressure regulator. Regulators can be purchased at just about any bbq supply store including Lowes, Home Depot and many others. The orifices are the issue. Nextgill won't just sell them to us (unless something has changed recently).

Ok, as mentioned above, I would go about this a different way then trying to locate and replace all the orifices and install a stock, non adjustable regulator. I would purchase a two stage regulator like the one in this LINK, and adjust the pressure down to the 7 inches of W.C. and use my grill. I would need to purchase the propane tank fitting, the regulator, and a hose to run from the regulator to the grill manifold. Having this type of regulator would also allow me to adjust the main burner flames to the normal 3/4 to 1 inches long or even lower if I wish to do slow cooking, like what is used to smoke meats.

As with any project that involves gas fuels, a good dish soap and water mix should be used to check for leaks at ALL connection points.

In regards to your propane tanks, I'm not familiar with a 7 gal tank. What is it normally used for? The normal are about 5 gallon and about 20 lbs.

Glad you found us here at the BBQ Source Forums,

Eric D :unsure:
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#3 User is offline   menkes 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

Eric,

Thanks for the response and the link to that great write up.

I am going to show my 'newbness' here by asking: Can it really be as simple as buying a new regulator (and appropriate fittings)? Even before you respond, I'll be finding & buying the regulator you mentioned.

A 7 gallon (30 lb.) tank is what you would find on many travel trailers or 5th wheel RVs. It holds 50% more gas, but is still a manageable size & weight for carrying. Part of my move involved my wife living alone in our RV for 5 months. She rotated two external 7 gallon tanks so she could have propane without having to move the RV.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users