• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jenn-Air SS Grill Flame Tamers

#1 User is offline   Davy49 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hello All,
It's really disheartening how the angled flame tamers that cover the main burners have discolored and have burnt marks on them after cooking on our grill for the first time. I've read other posts here in the forums and realize they won't EVER look like they did when brand new. :) And of course the grill manufacturer covers themselves by stating " This warranty does not cover normal wear of parts, discoloration of the stainless steel parts, etc., etc. . " I guess they couldn't afford to replace everyone's flame tamers that were discolored. i did try using an item that was mention here : http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...post&p=1516 . I tried using this product on the flame tamers, but it didn't seem to work very well on them, actually..it seemed to try and 'scratch' the surface a little. As I've never had a stainless steel grill before, it's truly a learning experience for me.
David ;)

#2 User is offline   rexster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:55 PM

The "stuff" that's burned on the tamers only helps to add flavor to your later grillings. That's one of the things that will get discolored and cruddy looking, but it's the part of grilling.

Rex

#3 User is offline   Davy49 

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

Dear Rex,
I guess i really shouldn't let it bother me, I guess the main thing is how well the grill cooks....and so far it's been doing fine. Besides, people really don't see the inside that much anyway. Tonight after I grilled, I tried the bucket of water with the brush trick for the grates, it seemed to work pretty well. Next I might try the white vinegar and baking soda trick.
Thanks,
David :)

#4 User is offline   bluesin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:
    Women, Disc Golf
    Women, Smoking and Barbecuing
    Women, Training Dogs
    Women, Photography
    Women, Camping and Hiking
    Did I mention Women?

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

I guess i really shouldn't let it bother me, I guess the main thing is how well the grill cooks

Truer words have never been spoken.

All stainless will discolor when exposed to flames or heat above a thousand degrees or so. The inside of the grill is also going to get a nice layer of film from cooking smoke and moisture, you'll be able to keep this down but it'll never look like it did when you bought it. If you don't worry about it it'll get to a certain point, I.E. black and never get any worse. If you attempt to keep cleaning it it's just going to be bothersome for you in a vain attempt to keep it looking as new as possible.

It's a grill, you cook over open flame which produces smoke, drippings, moisture, etc, all of which do not lend themselves to that nice clean stainless look.

If I were you i'd forget about and just clean it up about once a year and be proud of making the inside look as bad as possible because it demonstrates your cooking prowness :)

And for the outside, a little dab of mineral oil wiped all over every two weeks or so will keep it looking better than new...
Help support the BBQ Source Forums, Click here to make a donation

#5 User is offline   Davy49 

• PipPip

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

Dear bluesin,
Thanks so much for the advice...after all, the reason a person buys a grill in the first place is to cook on it, NOT just to look at it. Have a GREAT weekend !
David :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users