BBQ Source Forums: Maverick OT-03 Oven thermometer - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maverick OT-03 Oven thermometer Use of digital oven thermometer while slow bbqing

#1 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

My oven thermometers have become coated with a thick layer of soot and grease as to be completely unreadable. I thought I would give a digital oven thermometer a try. I selected the Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer over several others. Here is a link to a good description of the Maverick OT-03.

Maverick OT-03 Oven thermometer

One thing I like about it is that it is rated up to around 572 degrees. Most of the others are only rated to about
350-400 degrees. I have used several other digital meat thermometers and have ruined several probes until
I realized why the probes were failing after a few uses. One is that the most of the probes are not
designed for high temperatures and exposure to temperature above there rating will ruin them.

The Maverick OT-03 is rated to 572 degrees is one of the highest temp range for a low cost digital
thermometer. Another brand that cost over $70 is rated up to 700 degrees.

One difference between a digital oven thermometer and a meat thermometer is the higher temp display.
Most of the meat thermometer only provides readout to about 200 degrees.

The Maverick will provide alarm setting that will alert you if the temp is 15 degree above or below your setting.

Also the Maverick is not an instant read thermometer, but provides an avg oven temp over the cooking
cycle. the avg is reset when the temp drops below a minimum range.

I have used it twice now for low and slow bbqing. Once with a Boston Butt for pulled pork last week, and
a Texas-style brisket yesterday. Both were done over a 10-12 hr period.
The main advantages of using the digital oven thermometer are:

1) temp reading at the level of the meat being BBQ-ed.
2) Not have to open the hood to take a reading
3) faster reading of temp change compare to the hood thermometer

Note; a small change in the setting of one of the burner knobs can make a large change in the grilling temp.

The Maverick is designed with a clip to attach to the rack. From experience with using digital meat
thermometers, I found that the probe wire will short out when exposed to high heat for any length of time.
Also do not allow too much moisture or get the probe wire wet. It will cause the enameled coating on the
wire to corrode, which is turn will short out the wires.

To help prolong the life of the probes, I now cover the wire leads with aluminum foil to reduce the
exposure to high heat. Also because I do the cooking over a 12 hr period. At night, the dew or fog can
leave a lot of moisture on exposed surfaces. I keep the read-out unit in a towel to protect it from
moisture. Also just wipe the probe to clean, DO NOT SOAK the Probe or get the wire wet, It will cause
the coating of the wire to corrode.

I did think about drilling a hole in the back of the
stationary hood, and attached the probe there. But I believe just clipping it to the warming rack where I
smoke/slow cook the meat works a lot better.

Here are some photos of how I used the unit.

[attachment=837:attachment] The probe with clip

[attachment=838:attachment] Clipped to the rack - wires covered with foil- I cover even the wire outside the grill
to protect from moisture.

[attachment=839:attachment] Probe shown next to the brisket

[attachment=841:attachment] Hood thermometer reads around 230-240.

[attachment=840:attachment] Monitor showing temp of 223 and foil-covered wire, Also towel to protect unit.

[attachment=842:attachment] Closer look at the readout
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08
---------------------------------------------------

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

#2 User is offline   josef 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Okay, so i know this post is years old.. but i still wanted to say thanks for your input (I google'd the unit and this post came up). I just bought one of these and may use your foil trick.. how did your Maverick unit hold up over the years? Thanks again!
2011 Weber Genesis EP-310 - Steel Grey
2005 Char-Broil Patio Caddie (retired)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users