BBQ Source Forums: New Charbroil TEC grills to Buy or Not? - BBQ Source Forums

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Charbroil TEC grills to Buy or Not? Feedback From Our Members on this new grill

#1 User is offline   KYKILLER 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

Has anyone else seen the new grills at lowes with the TEC burner? Trying to decide between this model and the Jenn Air

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

Hi!

No, I have not seen it yet. But what is a TEC burner? :ph34r:

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#3 User is offline   KYKILLER 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:14 AM

KYKILLER, on Jan 22 2007, 09:21 PM, said:

Has anyone else seen the new grills at lowes with the TEC burner? Trying to decide between this model and the Jenn Air

It is an infared burner offered on the 2007 models at Lowes.

#4 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

KyKiller,

Do you know if the design of this IR burner looks much different then the burner on pre-2007 models? I'll have to take a run to my local Lowes and see if they have their new models in yet. Here in the cold of Michigan, I think we are the last to get the new grills in.

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#5 User is offline   KYKILLER 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Eric D, on Jan 23 2007, 10:21 AM, said:

KyKiller,

Do you know if the design of this IR burner looks much different then the burner on pre-2007 models? I'll have to take a run to my local Lowes and see if they have their new models in yet. Here in the cold of Michigan, I think we are the last to get the new grills in.

Eric D

Eric D

They have two models a four burner with two TEC burners & a three burner with one tec burner. The burners have the same grates over them but they are covered by black glass. Google TEC burners or TEC Grills and you will see the burner.

#6 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Family, friends, cooking, grilling and civil war reenacting.<br />Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Marshall Thundering Herd and WVU Mountaineers

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

KYKILLER, on Jan 23 2007, 09:52 AM, said:

Eric D

They have two models a four burner with two TEC burners & a three burner with one tec burner. The burners have the same grates over them but they are covered by black glass. Google TEC burners or TEC Grills and you will see the burner.

:ph34r: HMMMMMM ..... wonder how long it will be before I can mod my Jenn-Air with one of those TEC burners .... :D

BG in WV
Woman accepted cooking as a chore but man has made of it a recreation.

Jenn-Air 75K 720-0165 LP 2006
- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
- Acu-Rite Digital Meat Thermometer
- Oregon Grill-Right Wireless Thermometer
- BBQ Grillware LED Grill Light
- BBQ Grillware Barbecue Grill Light
- BBQ Grillware Rotisserie Basket
----Mods----
- Griddle/Grate Storage in LP Cabinet
- Rotisserie/Warming Rack Storage on Back
- Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotch 30 Year
- Wild Turkey Rye Whisky 101

BBQ Grillware 20K Verticle Smoker LP 2007

Quest Ultra-Sear Table Top LP January '08

BBQ Grillware 12K SS Table Top LP August '07
Given to future son-in-law January '08

#7 User is offline   KYKILLER 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

Billy Goat, on Jan 23 2007, 03:49 PM, said:

:ph34r: HMMMMMM ..... wonder how long it will be before I can mod my Jenn-Air with one of those TEC burners .... :D

BG in WV

Are the TEC burners better than the Jenn Air? I am thinking about buying a new Jenn-Air, would you recommend the Charbroil w TEC?

#8 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

KYKILLER, on Jan 23 2007, 04:44 PM, said:

Are the TEC burners better than the Jenn Air? I am thinking about buying a new Jenn-Air, would you recommend the Charbroil w TEC?

Hi KYKILLER,

I followed your direction and did a search on the TEC Burners. I read many good reviews of why it is better than a normal IR burner.
Uses less fuel, Almost 99% efficient, Does require forced hot air, etc. Fully adjustable from low heat to a searing high heat.
The only draw back given, that it was strange to be grilling on a glass top, and you just didn't feel like you were really grilling a piece of meat.

Based on those review, I would consider a grill with the TEC burners if it is reasonable. Most of the reviews were talking about grills in the thousands verses the high hundred for the the Jennair. If the Charboil is only $700 with a TEC burner, I would have to say, I would go with the TEC over the Jennair. As you can see from my signature, I'm a proud owner of a Jennair, but that TEC grill sounds like a winner.
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08
---------------------------------------------------

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

#9 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Family, friends, cooking, grilling and civil war reenacting.<br />Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Marshall Thundering Herd and WVU Mountaineers

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

KYKILLER, on Jan 23 2007, 06:44 PM, said:

KY

I don't know if the Charbroil TEC burners are better than the Jenn-Air ceramic sear burners ... I love my sear burner, but they have been known to fail on occation [shock sensitive]. It appears [based on the limited information I've seen] that the burner housing of the TEC burner is stainless steel ..due to the extremely high temperatures, I wonder what the life expectancy of the TEC is?

I would not give up my Jenn-Air for anything!!

Regards,

BG in WV

- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
----Mods----

#10 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

BG, you have a good point. Anyone have an idea on what the warranty is for the TEC burners?

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#11 User is offline   cadiken 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

Eric D, on Jan 24 2007, 09:29 AM, said:

BG, you have a good point. Anyone have an idea on what the warranty is for the TEC burners?

Eric D

I looked at the TEC /Charbroil Grill while at Lowes and liked it. I too had to chose between this and the Jenn-Air grill. The decision to buy the Jenn-Air was made easy because of the warranty; I think it was 5 year burner and 2 year parts for TEC, lifetime burner, lifetime SS and 2 year parts for Jenn-Air.

Ken

#12 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Ken,

Thanks for the feedback on the warranty. I got to get over to Lowes and have a look around to see if they have the new Charboil TEC yet. Us folks that live in the cooler areas always seem to be the last to get the new grills.

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#13 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

Eric D, on Jan 24 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

Ken,

Thanks for the feedback on the warranty. I got to get over to Lowes and have a look around to see if they have the new Charboil TEC yet. Us folks that live in the cooler areas always seem to be the last to get the new grills.

Eric D

Saw the new Charbroil TEC Grill today ... [attachment=895:Charbroil.jpg]

Here is the TEC Burner [I moved the SS grate to the side] . [attachment=896:Tec.jpg]

And underneath the glass plate. [attachment=897:under_TEC.jpg]

Here is a shot of the brass tube burner. [attachment=898:brass_burner.jpg]

BG in WV

- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
----Mods----

#14 User is offline   omahaone1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

I just brought home the three burner(1 Tec burner, two normal burners) version of the Tec/Charbroil grill form Lowes. The manager of Lowes traded this grill out for my Charbroil Stainless Steel Commercial Series grill that burnt up(cracked all three solid brass burners, rusted all the internal stainless steel grates, melted the igniter). I was reluctant to take this grill as my only experience with the Charbroil company was a bad one but the manager gave me his word that if I did not like it or if I had any problems with it I could bring it back. This was a quite a nice free upgrade as my old grill cost $450 (Natural Gas) and this Tec grill was $700 plus $50 for the Natural Gas conversion kit. To be honest, I didn't even realize what the Tec part of the grill was until I got it home and fired it up.

I have to say that this is by far the best grill I have ever used. Anyone with any grill can cook a steak or burger the way you like it. The difference is with this grill, I take my steaks and put a light coating of olive oil on them. Then I put them on the Tec infrared for 1 minute on each side. Then I move them over to the normal grilling area. There is no flare ups even with the olive oil on the steaks. The Tec part of the grill sears the outside of the steak to lock the juices in. After eating a steak, you will have a 1/4 inch of juice sitting on your plate. I like my steaks medium rare but my wife prefers medium to medium well. That is usually the point where the steaks start to become dry from overcooking but with this grill even the overcooked steaks are juicy and tender.

The other great thing is you can throw wood chips, I use mesquite, directly on the infrared burner and the chips will instantly start smoking. Then you put the steaks directly over the chips to lock in the flavor.

I have not used the rotisserie burner yet as my rotisserie motor is still on order but I am sure that will work great as well.

I hope this helps for those looking at this grill.

Jeff

#15 User is offline   ChrisN 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

omahaone1, on Feb 20 2007, 11:39 AM, said:

I just brought home the three burner(1 Tec burner, two normal burners) version of the Tec/Charbroil grill form Lowes. The manager of Lowes traded this grill out for my Charbroil Stainless Steel Commercial Series grill that burnt up(cracked all three solid brass burners, rusted all the internal stainless steel grates, melted the igniter). I was reluctant to take this grill as my only experience with the Charbroil company was a bad one but the manager gave me his word that if I did not like it or if I had any problems with it I could bring it back. This was a quite a nice free upgrade as my old grill cost $450 (Natural Gas) and this Tec grill was $700 plus $50 for the Natural Gas conversion kit. To be honest, I didn't even realize what the Tec part of the grill was until I got it home and fired it up.

I have to say that this is by far the best grill I have ever used. Anyone with any grill can cook a steak or burger the way you like it. The difference is with this grill, I take my steaks and put a light coating of olive oil on them. Then I put them on the Tec infrared for 1 minute on each side. Then I move them over to the normal grilling area. There is no flare ups even with the olive oil on the steaks. The Tec part of the grill sears the outside of the steak to lock the juices in. After eating a steak, you will have a 1/4 inch of juice sitting on your plate. I like my steaks medium rare but my wife prefers medium to medium well. That is usually the point where the steaks start to become dry from overcooking but with this grill even the overcooked steaks are juicy and tender.

The other great thing is you can throw wood chips, I use mesquite, directly on the infrared burner and the chips will instantly start smoking. Then you put the steaks directly over the chips to lock in the flavor.

I have not used the rotisserie burner yet as my rotisserie motor is still on order but I am sure that will work great as well.

I hope this helps for those looking at this grill.

Jeff

I saw this grill at Lowe's, and was very interested. I was a little frightned by the CharBroil brand though - never had much luck with their longevity. I am looking at getting a new grill, and it came down to Ducane at HD, the CharBroil, and the Jenn Air. While I haven't purchased yet - I'm going to go with the Jenn Air.

Couple of reasons:
1. Size of regular grilling area - call me old fashioned, but having enough non infrared space to cook corn on the cob / etc was key for me.
2. Warranty - the Jenn Air warranty can't be beat
3. Cost of replacement parts - I saw on other internet sites that the cost of replacing the TEC burners could be $400 for the burner, and $100 for the glass. it also appeared that the glass was not covered under the warranty (things like breaking etc)
4. The store display model was seperating at one seam on the fire box where they had "tamped" the two piece unit together. This made me nervous about overall construction.

On the positive side, the Lowe's employee did a "magnet test" and couldn't find anything that wasn't stainless on the grill at all.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users