• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grand Isle model 860-0193

#1 User is offline   MikeH 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Interests:
    Cars, Computers, and Grilling.<br /><br />(Yep, I'm a Spy. Call me &quot;00-burner&quot;)<br />I'm a Tech for TGS (Jenn Air/Nexgrill)

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

As you guys know, I'm the :ph34r: from TGS/Nexgrill.

We have not heard much about the new unit we started to sell, the Grand Isle, and I am wondering if anyone around here has had any experience with it yet.

(I didn't get to play with the production, just the prototype)

I'm interested in what people think. Let me know.

#2 User is offline   superdav 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

MikeH, on Jan 23 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

As you guys know, I'm the :) from TGS/Nexgrill.

We have not heard much about the new unit we started to sell, the Grand Isle, and I am wondering if anyone around here has had any experience with it yet.

Hello Mike....well I bought one at Costco (I call it the mother of all grills). pretty pricey...$1200+. However it was my wifes' idea beacause it is pretty and matches our patio! Now is that lucky or what?

Here is some info:

1. They had to load it in the back of my truck with a fork lift. It weighs 622 lbs. It is already assembled so you have to figure a way to get it out! I rented some ramps and dollys and invited family over to help unload. It took 4 guys and about 6 supervisors. Fortunately, it had wheels (which we weren't sure of). So manuevering it around and lifting it from time to time was not too bad. Bottom Line you can't get it home without help...and Costco doesn't deliver.

2. Very easy to attach handles etc. it did not have two nuts for the rotisserie that it calls for. and there is 4 rubber inserts on 2 of the doors that came out real easy and I almost lost one of them. So be careful.

3. The instructions were very good...a little overboard on grill safety (they covered themselves very well :(:) ).

4. There was no instructions on how to use the rotisserie. I have never had one before. While I pretty much knew what to do and figured it out, with the help of the internet, etc. (which is how I found this site) If you don't know anything about them, there was no help.

5. It can easily be converted to natural gas and they give you some parts. However you need to go get a new hose and connector.

6. Now the important part, cooking results. Last night I tried a 3lb Bottom Round roast to test it out. I had marinated it all day and put my secret rub on it :ph34r: and used the rotisserie. It only took 45 minutes to get to medium! For me that is overcooked...thank God I checked it when I did! Ididn't expect it to cook that fast.

Bottom line, so far so good. As for all the inconveniences above, Once we got it placed...it was nice that it was already put together :lol: I had it up and running in about an hour and a half....the roast was cooked very even.....next up a steak!

I'll keep you posted....and if you have any questions I may have missed let me know!

superdav

#3 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

Hello superdav!

Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums, and congratulations on the new Grand Isle! I think you are the first here with one. If you don't mind, how about posting a few photos of that new grill to give others here an idea on how it looks. We love to see what's cooking as well.

Glad you found us here. We have a lot of great folks here to help out with any type of outdoor cooking questions. There are a lot of threads on the board about using your rotisserie. Try the search up in the upper right of this screen on rotisserie.

I see you already met our local Nexgrill Spy :( , MikeH. Mike's our inside guy! We are glad to have him around.

Please keep us posted on how that new grill is working out for you. If I were you I'd keep keep your wife around. Sounds like she is one good catch letting you get the grill in all.

Regards,

Eric D :)
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#4 User is offline   superdav 

• Pip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

Hello Eric....sorry didn't get back sooner. Thanks for the welcome...No problem on the photos....I'm going to try cornish game hens on the rotisserie for Valentines Day... :ph34r: so I'll take some then...

Anyway....Saturday I did a New York steak and tried the searing burner....it was hard to stay lit at first...I don't know why. I had to really hold the knob in for quite awhile for it to stay lit. It was worth it! That sucker gets blazing hot while the grill can be on low. For me...3 minutes on each side is plenty....my wife likes it medium. So I seared them both at the same time...then placed hers on the grill for a little while. They both came out awsome!

Sunday...I learned a lesson! I put a whole chicken on the rotisserie...things were going great. For some reason :( I turned the burners below it on low as well to see how that would work. Well things were going okay after about 10 minutes heat staying around 300...which was nice...had an emergency...ran out of beer. Can't grill without beer :lol:;) So things were going well enough I thought I could leave it alone while I ran up to the local speed mart....wasn't gone 10 minutes....the heat was at 550 and the chicken was blacker than black :) so...I turned off the burners and kept the rotisserie burner on, but real low...kept it steady at 350. took an hour and a half. Actually once you took off the black skin...it tasted real good...talk about searing!

So overall it still gets a two thumbs up!

#5 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

Wow!

Blackend chicken....not quite what you had planned I bet. SuperDav when doing chicken on the rotisserie use ONLY the very outside burners, never the center. Most people will place a drip pan right under the bird while it cooks to catch the drippings. Those drippings burn very well, as you found out. I'm sure things will go better the next time.

Best of luck,

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#6 User is offline   superdav 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

Eric D, on Feb 13 2007, 07:42 AM, said:

Wow!

Blackend chicken....not quite what you had planned I bet. SuperDav when doing chicken on the rotisserie use ONLY the very outside burners, never the center. Most people will place a drip pan right under the bird while it cooks to catch the drippings. Those drippings burn very well, as you found out. I'm sure things will go better the next time.

Best of luck,

Eric D

LOL...I know...but it actually was pretty good..all the flavors were seared in! Just wanted to let you guys know...I did chicken parts on the grill........ALOT of FLAMAGE! I had every burner on low and it was still flaming. So I put it in the center and oturned off the center burners. That worked well...would have been better if I started that way....live and learn....still like the grill...just quite a learning curve on this one. Actually having the area over the searing burner for moving things around off flamage is a bonus....plenty of cooking area. The warmer worked well also...while I kept the breasts on.....

Until next time......... :(

#7 User is offline   GregO 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

MikeH, on Jan 23 2007, 03:18 PM, said:

As you guys know, I'm the :( from TGS/Nexgrill.

I also purchased a Grand Isle Nexgrill from Costco except this Costco did not use a fork lift. It took 5 of us to load it in my pickup truck and 4 to unload it. Yes, it is a beautiful grill but none of the burners light, not even with a match. The gas is accumulating in the door with the shelf. It was just shear luck all that gas did not ignite or the Nexgrill and I would be in the “NexState”! I called customer service and they are sending another regulator. Although this doesn’t seem to fit the symptom, I’ll try it and let you know.
Regards,
GregO

#8 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:25 AM

GregO,

Did you identify that the leak was in fact coming from the regulator? If yes, then fine, but if there is any doubt I really think you need to do a little more trouble shooting. Are you using natural gas or propane tank? Did you smell gas leaking?

If you are using a propane tank for fuel, the flow restrictor in the new style tanks might be set.

To reset it:
  • Turn everything off including the tank valve.
  • Remove the connection on the tank.
  • Reinstall the connection on the tank.
  • Makeup some leak check (small amount of dish soap and water)
  • With all gas valves on grill turned off, as slow as you can open the tank valve. If you open it to quickly the flow restrictor inside the tank will set restricting gas flow to the point the grill will not light.
  • Once you have the valve on the tank full open, use the leak check by flowing it with a paper towel or any other way you can onto all the connection points. If there is a leak you see bubbles form at the leak location.
  • If no leaks, then try to light the grill again. It should work.
Greg, keep us posted on what you find. Glad you found us here at the BBQ Source Forums. Congratulation on the new grill, I hope you get the gas issue resolved. It has to be frustrating having a new grill and not being about to use it.

Regards,

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#9 User is offline   superdav 

• Pip

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

Eric D, on Feb 14 2007, 03:25 AM, said:

GregO,

Did you identify that the leak was in fact coming from the regulator? If yes, then fine, but if there is any doubt I really think you need to do a little more trouble shooting. Are you using natural gas or propane tank? Did you smell gas leaking?

If you are using a propane tank for fuel, the flow restrictor in the new style tanks might be set.

To reset it:
  • Turn everything off including the tank valve.
  • Remove the connection on the tank.
  • Reinstall the connection on the tank.
  • Makeup some leak check (small amount of dish soap and water)
  • With all gas valves on grill turned off, as slow as you can open the tank valve. If you open it to quickly the flow restrictor inside the tank will set restricting gas flow to the point the grill will not light.
  • Once you have the valve on the tank full open, use the leak check by flowing it with a paper towel or any other way you can onto all the connection points. If there is a leak you see bubbles form at the leak location.
  • If no leaks, then try to light the grill again. It should work.
Greg, keep us posted on what you find. Glad you found us here at the BBQ Source Forums. Congratulation on the new grill, I hope you get the gas issue resolved. It has to be frustrating having a new grill and not being about to use it.

Regards,

Eric D

Great..I'm not the only one in the discussion :) It is interesting what GregO said, I used it the other day to do some chicken on the grill. Although it lit okay, I did smell a little propane but couldn't find a leak anywhere. It was stongest at the cylinder knob. Everything worked okay but just to make sure I disconnected the tank after I was done.

The other thing is that the flame ups are real annoying. You can't walk away if you have something directly on a lit burner. For chicken I do semi-seer it, turn off half the burners and move it to the unlit side. So it was not too bad. But toward the end I wanted to cook the breast etc a little more so I put them on a burner set at low. Still flamed up! :P

What do you think about adding ceramic briquettes between the burners to maybe reduce flare ups?

superdav

#10 User is offline   yellowtail 

• Pip

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

As you guys know, I'm the ;) from TGS/Nexgrill.

[list=1]

[*]I bought this grill at Fullerton Costco couple of weeks ago and overall I'm very satisfied except for some minor issues. 1) I wish this grill was available at Costco closer to my home. 2) Warming rack will warp even with main burner turned on. Company need to make new racks and replace them. 3) I noticed some minor dings on some doors, I will be calling customer service for replacement. 4)I made the conversion from LP to NG and it took about 1 hour to complete. Only glitch was removing searing burner took some force even bending the metal to remove it.
Biggeest challange was getting this 600 lbs. grill to my backyard. Method I used was renting a trailer and placing furniture dolley under the grill when Costco employees loaded on the trailer. At home, I backed to the curb because of the shot ramp on the trailer. With little help from my wife, I was able to complete the move with no additional help.
One modification I made was removing the wheels. This made it more like built-in and fulfilled the requirement for NG hook up.
As I mentioned, I'm very satisfied with this grill and I would recommend it to anyone.

#11 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

yellowtail, on Mar 2 2007, 05:11 PM, said:

[list=1]

[*]I bought this grill at Fullerton Costco couple of weeks ago and overall I'm very satisfied except for some minor issues. 1) I wish this grill was available at Costco closer to my home. 2) Warming rack will warp even with main burner turned on. Company need to make new racks and replace them. 3) I noticed some minor dings on some doors, I will be calling customer service for replacement. 4)I made the conversion from LP to NG and it took about 1 hour to complete. Only glitch was removing searing burner took some force even bending the metal to remove it.
Biggeest challange was getting this 600 lbs. grill to my backyard. Method I used was renting a trailer and placing furniture dolley under the grill when Costco employees loaded on the trailer. At home, I backed to the curb because of the shot ramp on the trailer. With little help from my wife, I was able to complete the move with no additional help.
One modification I made was removing the wheels. This made it more like built-in and fulfilled the requirement for NG hook up.
As I mentioned, I'm very satisfied with this grill and I would recommend it to anyone.

If that is where your grill will reside...you might get those widows covered with grease routinely...I know mine is in a Gazebo but grease vapors go every where including my glasses...lol I need to wipe everything down after a week end of grilling..although its pretty windy here on the Gulf Coast..
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

#12 User is offline   dwost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    European cars, skiing, home theater, landscaping, home remodeling, gardening, kayaking, boating anything outdoors!!!

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

yellowtail, on Mar 2 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

[list=1]

Man, that is a sweet looking setup. Post some pics of the internals please :)
Don

2004 Jenn-Air 720-0061 (3 burner)

Modifications

- cast SS burners
- upper/lower removable vent mod
- NG conversion: upgraded to 54,000 btu
- utensile hooks, rotisserie storage, internal rack, paper towel holder
- Nexgrill griddle

#13 User is offline   Randy Utah 

• Pip

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Just purchased a Grand Isle from Costco. Have used it 2 times this week and have had no problem lighting the ceramic burner. I am totally impressed, now if it would just do the cooking for me.....

I have no experience with Rotisserie, any good suggestions or recipe's out there?

Thanks.
Randy

#14 User is offline   Evilbrainlives 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hey's Guys I have just been reading your acticle for some information. I just bought the Grand Isle and was wondering what model and where you bought your parts to convert it to a NG. Can i just use the Nexgrill one that is on the Costco page? Any info would be great.

Thanks
Brian
Victoria,BC
Canada

#15 User is offline   couper 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

As you guys know, I'm the ;) from TGS/Nexgrill.

I am from Vancouver, canada and want one of these BBQ'S in the worst way! Where can I purchase one as Costco has sold out and I cannot find a supplier.

Please advise if you can

Thanks

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users