BBQ Source Forums: What Oils Work Best on a Grill Grate? - BBQ Source Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Oils Work Best on a Grill Grate? Best time to oil stainless grates?

#1 User is offline   jgayman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

I think I'm still doing something wrong when it comes to oiling the grates prior to grilling. I typically get the grill nice and hot (500-600F) and then right before I put my steaks on the grill I wipe the grates with a paper towel which is folded several times and soaked with oil. The grates are so hot at this point that the oil seems to instantly burst into flames and burn off. As a result my food always seems to stick.

Next I tried those little Grill wipes that everyone seems to recommend but I see the instructions recommend applying to a warm grate.

So do I use the wipes before the grill gets hot?

Is there any particular type of oil I should be using? At the moment I'm using the same vegetable oil that I use for general cooking.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

Jgayman,

What type of meat are you cooking? If beef, you might want to try and oil the meat with a light coating of olive oil. If you are cooking chicken, it I would guess you are too hot. Try it at a lower temp. Chicken will not stick when I cook if I oil the grate just before placing the meat on. Donít try moving the chicken right away, if you do you may pull meat and some will stick. If you wait until the chicken cooks some, it will release from the grate much easier.

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#3 User is offline   jgayman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

I am normally cooking beef... T-bones or Porterhouses. I will try oiling the meat a bit next time. Yes, I normally use a slightly lower temperature with chicken and have learned to leave it in place a bit before trying to move it.

I was concerned that perhaps there was a higher temperature oil I should be using.

#4 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

View Postjgayman, on May 7 2007, 01:54 PM, said:

I was concerned that perhaps there was a higher temperature oil I should be using.

Jgayman,

I personally stay away from vegetable and peanut oils. These will turn into a nice gooey mess and help make things stick even more. Olive oil (extra virgin) seems to be the one of choice here. Lard works very well, but most people donít have it. With grilling temps above 500 Ė 600įF, it is had to find anything that will not burn.

If you find something that works better please let us know.

Regards,

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#5 User is offline   jgayman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

It was my understanding that EVOO was a fairly low temperature oil compared to the rest???

#6 User is offline   tuchodi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

I tried Olive Oil and then tried Canola oil and the Canola seamed to work a little better for me. I found on the net that Canola oil had a little higher flash point than Olive Oil. Both worked OK

#7 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

View Postjgayman, on May 7 2007, 02:26 PM, said:

It was my understanding that EVOO was a fairly low temperature oil compared to the rest???

I believe you are correct, however, I think it has more to do with less residue, or less gooey then the other choices.

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#8 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

View Posttuchodi, on May 7 2007, 02:37 PM, said:

I tried Olive Oil and then tried Canola oil and the Canola seamed to work a little better for me. I found on the net that Canola oil had a little higher flash point than Olive Oil. Both worked OK

This is all good info, anyone have or seen a chart of oil flash points that we could post here? How about residue?

Ericc D
BBQSource Forums

#9 User is offline   lbuccola 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

I have been using EVOO and Canola oil for a while. As Eric pointed out, I usually put the oil on the meat. It helps brown the meat and also helps the seasoning to stick.

If you're cooking beef with marbled fat (like ribeyes) I don't think it would stick if the grill is smokin' hot. The only thing that sticks for me is flaky delicate fish (such as trout) and for that I heavily lube the grill with canola right before placing the fish. Sometimes the canola will smoke off but enough will stay on the grate to prevent sticking.

I hope this helps.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how 'seasoned' the grates are?

Larry
720-0061LP (Early 2004)
JA Rotisserie
Smoker Box Mod
Divider Mod
Cast SS Burners

#10 User is offline   Uncle Bob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Bluegrass and Gospel Music and Outdoor Cooking

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

I've had some good luck with the new Pam for Grilling spray. I also use EVOO.

My old 2-burner Kenmore can't get hot enough for either to burn off :(
Bob

May the flames be with you

Grilling Equipment:
Weber Summit S-450 Grill LP (2007 model)
Weber 22-1/2" One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill (2007 model)
Weber 18-1/2" One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill (2007 model)
Weber Smokey Joe Silver Charcoal Grill (2007 model)
Kenmore 2-Burner Grill LP (1999 model)
Smokenator 1000 smoker accessory for Weber 22-1/2" OTG (2008 model)
Customized 24" Rolling Kitchen Storage Cabinet with Tiled Worktop
Weber Style Tools & pretty much everything else Weber makes for accessories

Modifications:
Lid mounted Old Smokey 2" Temperature Gauge on Weber 22-1/2" One-Touch Gold (2008)

Support Team:
Mrs. Uncle Bob (aka: Da Boss) - QC and unsolicited direction
Lucy (Golden Retriever) - moral support and deck cleanup of grilling spills

In the immortal words of Rob Rainford (License to Grill) as he was preparing several smoke pouches to use on a large beef brisket: "Big Meat Needs Big Wood!"

#11 User is offline   philkryder 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:52 PM

I use the olive oil cut 50-50 with vodka.

I have a sprayer that I pump up and spray the grates.

yes, it flares, but it leaves just enough residue to prevent sticking.

Always let the steak sit a bit before moving it.

Good luck!
Phil

#12 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

View Postphilkryder, on May 8 2007, 12:52 AM, said:

Phil,

That is an excellent idea! I have one of the pump up sprayers that no longer sprays. I never thought of cutting the oil down to make it more sprayable. Iíll have to give this a tryÖ.now if I can fine where the bottle of vodka is. :( What about using whiskey? :huh: Would I get some added flavors?

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#13 User is offline   Abeach2bum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

Anyone watch License to Grill? He has an unlimited supply of white towels that he douses with olive oil and rubs it on the grates. Sometimes he just sprays the oil right on the surface. Pretty obvious someone scrubs the grills clean before every show. He is very entertaining and cooks up some good stuff.

http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=68771

Scott
Scott
Strada V - Barbeques Galore - Nexgrill Origin LP
4 main buners + one IR sear 60,000 btu
One IR rotisserie burner
One 12,000 btu side burner
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
MES 30" Smoker Returned after one use - POJ

#14 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Family, friends, cooking, grilling and civil war reenacting.<br />Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Marshall Thundering Herd and WVU Mountaineers

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

View Postphilkryder, on May 8 2007, 12:52 AM, said:

Good luck!
Phil

Phil:

My polish/russian father-in-law just rolled over in his grave! :(

Billy Goat in WV
Woman accepted cooking as a chore but man has made of it a recreation.

Jenn-Air 75K 720-0165 LP 2006
- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
- Acu-Rite Digital Meat Thermometer
- Oregon Grill-Right Wireless Thermometer
- BBQ Grillware LED Grill Light
- BBQ Grillware Barbecue Grill Light
- BBQ Grillware Rotisserie Basket
----Mods----
- Griddle/Grate Storage in LP Cabinet
- Rotisserie/Warming Rack Storage on Back
- Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotch 30 Year
- Wild Turkey Rye Whisky 101

BBQ Grillware 20K Verticle Smoker LP 2007

Quest Ultra-Sear Table Top LP January '08

BBQ Grillware 12K SS Table Top LP August '07
Given to future son-in-law January '08

#15 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

View PostAbeach2bum, on May 8 2007, 01:33 PM, said:

Anyone watch License to Grill?

Scott,

Man I feel terrible! :huh: Iíve been grilling the last 35+ years without a license! I didnít realize I needed one.

Eric D :(
BBQSource Forums

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users