• You cannot reply to this topic

Places to get BBQ on the Road Best BBQ on Seattle Eastside

#31 User is offline   Green 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

View PostGoodAndYou, on Jun 6 2008, 02:30 PM, said:

I agree with Jack Stack's in the KC area. Love their lamb ribs with a side of cheesy corn. Last time I was there in March on a business trip I ate there twice in 4 days! Just can't get enough. Good thing I didn't get my cholesterol checked that week!

You are right. My son's Mother in law insisted we make sure the Cheesy Corn was on the menu for the night. It IS good. I understand their steaks are great too. But I could not afford to buy that for the whole wedding party.

I think the thing I find remarkable about Kansas City BBQ is there are so many different styles and every one seems to have it's own fans. I am not someone who lives for BBQ - I do like it a lot though. But I am more of griller - like seared stuff - burnt to you folks in Rio Linda. I'd just as soon spend my money in KC at Plaza III or Hereford House (block away from my old work) for a good Porterhouse steak. But BBQ is still a really important part of KC and it shows.

When I was a buyer for Western Auto a Father and Son manufacturer's rep "team" took me to lunch at the Rosedale BBQ on Southwest traffic way (I think - past Boulevard beer now). I told them anywhere was fine - I wasn't picky when someone was treating me. That Gates or Bryants (pretty hot there too) or what ever they liked that was reasonably close was fine. They said they kinda liked the sauce there....................

I should have seen it coming when they both asked for their own bottle of the extra hot sauce. They both had suits on. And they proceeded to start emptying their sauce bottles on their lunch. About 1/3 of the way thru their meal they both broke out in a sweat that looked like something from a World Wide Wrestling match! Son took his coat off and loosened his tie. Dad sat there trying to look all professional and all. Sweat just rolling down their faces. Rivers of it - no kidding! It was not even summer.

Holy cow! What was it doing to their insides? I'll never forget it. That was almost 30 years ago. Remember it like yesterday.

#32 User is offline   bunqui 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

Leatha's
6374 U S Highway 98
Hattiesburg, MS 39402

Hands down you won't find better down home Q anywhere.

#33 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

I travel a bit with my job and a couple of years ago we were going to Oxnard CA. I like to review the website for Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and see if any of the places are close to where we're traveling. I found one called Baby Blues BBQ in Venice and we decided to try it. They had some of the best BBQ I've found in a Restaurant. Their beef ribs were excellent. Tender with a very good flavor. The pork ribs were tender, but they weren't over cooked. My co-workers also liked the pulled pork, chicken and brisket. We stop there every time we fly into LAX (about 6 or 7 times over the last 2 years). They serve their food dry with some pretty good sauces on the side. Their sides are imaginative and all done very well. My favorites are:

Collard Greens
Creamed Spinach (fresh spinach)
Sauteed okra with smoked/stewed tomatoes.

My Co-workers also enjoyed the beans, slaw and mac and cheese.

I highly recommend it.

http://babybluesvenice.com/#/home

Baby Blues
444 Lincoln Blvd.
Venice, CA

#34 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

If you're in the Jacksonville, FL area Bono's BBQ is the place to go.

https://bonosbarbq.com/

I've been going to different locations over the past 40 years and all of them have been good. One of the things I like about them is they cook over an open pit behind the bar in the front of the restaurant. If you sit at the bar you can see them pull the meat off the grill and cut it for your order as you watch. Their pork is juicy and will cut it in chunks if you like (my favorite way). They also have pretty good pulled pork if that's the way you like it. The ribs are well cooked and tender, not mushy. They use a combination of white oak and hickory that's just right. Their sauce is service on the side and doesn't hide the flavor of the meat. The sides are typical for a BBQ place and are flavorful.

I go to a Bono's every time I'm in FL.

There are too many locations to list, but you can see them all, with a copy of their menu, on their website.

#35 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

View Posttkeiy593, on 01 August 2006 - 11:17 AM, said:

I've been to The Shed and it was OK. I gave them two chances but it wasn't really up to my standards. (I admit I'm a BBQ Snob though).

#36 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

A little story.

Three years ago I took a job in the Virginia Beach area and hadn't lived there in 20 years. So, to try some good BBQ places I did an internet search. I found a place in Hampton Virginia called Q Barbecue and decided to give it a try. When I got there there was nobody in the place but the door was open and I went in. I found the owner (Tuffy Stone) sitting in one of the booths going over some papers. He said they hadn't opened yet and would be getting their final inspection the next weekend and would open then. If you don't recognize the name, he has the competition team Cool Smoke and was on the first season of BBQ Pitmasters on TLC. I didn't know this at the time. As busy as he was, he took out about 15 or 20 minutes to talk Q and was a real likable guy.

I became a KCBS certified judge that year and judged competitions in MD, DE and VA. After the judging was completed I would always look up the Cool Smoke site and Tuffy would always welcome me in and spend some time shootin the bull.

I went back to Q-Barbecue when it was opened for a meal and it was delicious.

http://qbarbeque.com/home.html

As you can see from the web site there are also locations in Richmond.

#37 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostSmokin Pop, on 09 February 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

A little story.

Three years ago I took a job in the Virginia Beach area and hadn't lived there in 20 years. So, to try some good BBQ places I did an internet search. I found a place in Hampton Virginia called Q Barbecue and decided to give it a try. When I got there there was nobody in the place but the door was open and I went in. I found the owner (Tuffy Stone) sitting in one of the booths going over some papers. He said they hadn't opened yet and would be getting their final inspection the next weekend and would open then. If you don't recognize the name, he has the competition team Cool Smoke and was on the first season of BBQ Pitmasters on TLC. I didn't know this at the time. As busy as he was, he took out about 15 or 20 minutes to talk Q and was a real likable guy.

I became a KCBS certified judge that year and judged competitions in MD, DE and VA. After the judging was completed I would always look up the Cool Smoke site and Tuffy would always welcome me in and spend some time shootin the bull.

I went back to Q-Barbecue when it was opened for a meal and it was delicious.

http://qbarbeque.com/home.html

As you can see from the web site there are also locations in Richmond.

Cool story Pop, I have seen him on pitmasters he does seem like a nice guy, he even turned Myron Mixon onto a brisket to compete against him with :D

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#38 User is offline   vanole 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

I can vouch for "smokin pop's" recommendation for Bono's in Jax. Lou Bono's original establishment was a wooden shack over on the south side that was always mobbed. My present favorite location in Jax is at I-10 and Lane Ave. Ate their almost daily when I flew out of Cecil. My parents lived on the West Side of Jax and I used to go pick them up ( I lived in Orange Park) and we would make the weekly pilgramge over to Bono's for supper.

Jeff
My Herd:
Kikuya Hibatchi Pot (1975)
3 Weber Kettles: 18.5 (77); Smokey Joe (91); 22.5 (00)
Holland Classic Model BH-421-SG-2 (96) added the Searmate IR Burner (10)
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Bayou Classic Dual Burner Stove/Fryer (98)
2 Large Big Green Eggs (98) & (02)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
Lodge Dutch Oven Table w/Tall Windscreen (08)
American Outdoor Grill Model 24PC (10)
Holland Legacy LS BH421-SS-3 (adopted 10)
Phoenix Grill PG-2001-P (11)
Holland Companion BH-213-MG-1(11)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#39 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Postvanole, on 14 February 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

I can vouch for "smokin pop's" recommendation for Bono's in Jax. Lou Bono's original establishment was a wooden shack over on the south side that was always mobbed. My present favorite location in Jax is at I-10 and Lane Ave. Ate their almost daily when I flew out of Cecil. My parents lived on the West Side of Jax and I used to go pick them up ( I lived in Orange Park) and we would make the weekly pilgramge over to Bono's for supper.

Jeff

Jeff,
Your screen name leads me to believe you might be a fellow Nole. I too, am from Orange Park and Green Cove Springs. I started by going to the original Bono's on Atlantic Blvd. When I was stationed at NAS Jax I used to go to the one in Orange Park on US 17. They've now closed/moved that one so when I'm visiting I go to the one in Flemming Island. I now live in GA and I have a son in Tampa. When we visit we always plan on eating at the Bono's in Gainsville (gag). It's the only bright spot about that town.

BTW, I went to FSU in the early/mid 70s.

#40 User is offline   vanole 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Smokin Pop,

Actually went to USNA (wayward school for boy's)and then to FSU for my Masters (meteorology). I 've been to old original shack (bilious blue paint and all)numerous times. Yes the one in OP is gone now. Will never set foot in "Hog Town" myself that just would not be right. I was at FSU in 76-77 timeframe. Have not been to the one at Flemming Island.

Were you with the P-3 bubbas out of Nas Jax? Was sad when they closed Cecil and moved everything up to Oceana.

When heading south this past winter in the M/H I stayed at Pecan Park and shot over to Bono's for supper at Lane ave. Hit it the next day for lunch enroute Miami. Will do the same again when I head north in May. During Spring Break (second week in March) will run up with my daugher to Jax on a Bono's run.

Jeff
My Herd:
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#41 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

View Postvanole, on 15 February 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Smokin Pop,

Actually went to USNA (wayward school for boy's)and then to FSU for my Masters (meteorology). I 've been to old original shack (bilious blue paint and all)numerous times. Yes the one in OP is gone now. Will never set foot in "Hog Town" myself that just would not be right. I was at FSU in 76-77 timeframe. Have not been to the one at Flemming Island.

Were you with the P-3 bubbas out of Nas Jax? Was sad when they closed Cecil and moved everything up to Oceana.

When heading south this past winter in the M/H I stayed at Pecan Park and shot over to Bono's for supper at Lane ave. Hit it the next day for lunch enroute Miami. Will do the same again when I head north in May. During Spring Break (second week in March) will run up with my daugher to Jax on a Bono's run.

Jeff

I graduated from FSU in 75. I was a Supply Officer in the Navy. I was stationed at the Readiness Command on NAS Jax.

I see you're in Virginia Beach, I work on Little Creek with the SeaBees.

#42 User is offline   vanole 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

A "Chop" I see. SeaBees are a great bunch of folks. You still active or retired. Myself I'm retired and live off Great Neck Rd. I'm actually here in the Beach until Sat and then fly back to Miami. Had a couple of med appointments, got back into Norfolk on Saturday a couple hours before the snow.

If you are still around in May maybe we can toss down a couple of cold ones and I'll fire up one of the BGE's and do some pulled pork or brisket.

Jeff
My Herd:
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#43 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

View Postvanole, on 15 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

A "Chop" I see. SeaBees are a great bunch of folks. You still active or retired. Myself I'm retired and live off Great Neck Rd. I'm actually here in the Beach until Sat and then fly back to Miami. Had a couple of med appointments, got back into Norfolk on Saturday a couple hours before the snow.

If you are still around in May maybe we can toss down a couple of cold ones and I'll fire up one of the BGE's and do some pulled pork or brisket.

Jeff

I'm retired. On the Warchant BB my screen name is Navchop and has been for years.

Snow??? I had to go home to GA a couple of weeks ago because my wife was injured. I didn't know it had snowed. I should be back in a few weeks and I would love to get together.

#44 User is offline   vanole 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

SP,

Hope the Mrs is okay.

Snowed Saturday evening got about 1 inch of snow and freezing rain.

When I get back in May I will PM you and see what would be a good time.

Jeff
My Herd:
Weber Genesis 3000 (97)
Woodflame Delecto (05)
1 Medium BGE (11)
PK Grill (12)

Wish List:
Hasty-Bake Grill

#45 User is offline   Smokin Pop 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postvanole, on 15 February 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

SP,

Hope the Mrs is okay.

Snowed Saturday evening got about 1 inch of snow and freezing rain.

When I get back in May I will PM you and see what would be a good time.

Jeff

Sounds good.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users