BBQ Source Forums: Anyone have the Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker Grill? - BBQ Source Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone have the Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker Grill? Just bought one.

#1 User is offline   Bacardi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 1,313
  • Joined: 20-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

I bought one over the weekend, 10% off with 0% interest for 12 monthes seemed like a good deal. I can use it this thursday, after I close on my house. Anyway I went electric because I don't want to deal with hourly change of coal, the woodchips and mopping is enough for me, for now. So does this thing work good or should I just return it and get the standard coal ones?
Ultimate $500 setup:
Uniflame Gold (avatar)
Ultra Sear IR
Masterbuilt digitially controlled smoker

Formerly owned and returned:
Sears Crossray IR (couldn't get it started)
Weber One Touch Silver (charcoal doesn't fit my lifestyle)
Fiesta Blue Ember (warped/melted all burners)
CB TEC (low temps)
CB H20 electric smoker (sold)
0

#2 User is offline   jimrb66 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 06-May 07

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

 Bacardi, on May 29 2007, 05:59 PM, said:

I bought one over the weekend, 10% off with 0% interest for 12 monthes seemed like a good deal. I can use it this thursday, after I close on my house. Anyway I went electric because I don't want to deal with hourly change of coal, the woodchips and mopping is enough for me, for now. So does this thing work good or should I just return it and get the standard coal ones?


Hi Bacardi
Had the brinkman about 10yrs back and loved it.Then about 5yrs. ago I bought a new one but brinkman had lowered the power out- put of the heating coil and I didn,t like the results as much.But over all It still was pretty good.I hope i was of some help.
Jimrb66
0

#3 User is offline   Bacardi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 1,313
  • Joined: 20-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thanks!

Used it this weekend to smoke KS style ribs...To start this has NO temp control...The air inside was 315F! 1cup of 1hour soaked wood chips would be ash in 20mins...It's also very small diameter, 18" I belive(?) therefore a rack of ribs need to be cut in half to fit...But there's no messing with coals which was very nice, I just simply spray down the meat and add woodchips every hour (as I didn't have enough chips to support the every 20mins)...I'm going to the store and seeing if they sell a dimmer that's plugged into a standard plug (not hardwired) to hopefully control the temp...Ribs I cooked were the best I've had, however, usual places I get ribbed are reheated so it's not like I've ever had truely fresh BBQ...
Ultimate $500 setup:
Uniflame Gold (avatar)
Ultra Sear IR
Masterbuilt digitially controlled smoker

Formerly owned and returned:
Sears Crossray IR (couldn't get it started)
Weber One Touch Silver (charcoal doesn't fit my lifestyle)
Fiesta Blue Ember (warped/melted all burners)
CB TEC (low temps)
CB H20 electric smoker (sold)
0

#4 User is offline   jmark 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 08-September 07

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

 Bacardi, on Jun 17 2007, 05:09 PM, said:

Thanks!

Used it this weekend to smoke KS style ribs...To start this has NO temp control...The air inside was 315F! 1cup of 1hour soaked wood chips would be ash in 20mins...It's also very small diameter, 18" I belive(?) therefore a rack of ribs need to be cut in half to fit...But there's no messing with coals which was very nice, I just simply spray down the meat and add woodchips every hour (as I didn't have enough chips to support the every 20mins)...I'm going to the store and seeing if they sell a dimmer that's plugged into a standard plug (not hardwired) to hopefully control the temp...Ribs I cooked were the best I've had, however, usual places I get ribbed are reheated so it's not like I've ever had truely fresh BBQ...



Hi Barcadi... I have the tall round red smoker. I think it was the Marlboro promo smoker. Anyways, it's about 18" in diameter and 3 feet tall? I used it with charcoal at first but later on bought an electric conversion kit on eBay.

Like you, with the electric kit, it's not a smoker anymore, its an OVEN! LOL Mine too runs very close to 260-300 degrees. Brinkman says 200-215 is ideal. Hmm, almost a hundred degrees too high is not even close!

Since it draws close to 12 amps, using any "over the counter" doo dad to drop the voltage is not really an option. Let me know if you figure a good way to lower the temp down. You just can't get a good smoke at 300 degrees.

Mark
0

#5 User is offline   Bacardi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 1,313
  • Joined: 20-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

That's the one! I only used it twice. Hoping lower winter temps will help out.
Ultimate $500 setup:
Uniflame Gold (avatar)
Ultra Sear IR
Masterbuilt digitially controlled smoker

Formerly owned and returned:
Sears Crossray IR (couldn't get it started)
Weber One Touch Silver (charcoal doesn't fit my lifestyle)
Fiesta Blue Ember (warped/melted all burners)
CB TEC (low temps)
CB H20 electric smoker (sold)
0

#6 User is offline   kitarkus 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Interests:
    Weber Summit E420<br />Weber Charcoal Kettle<br />Brinkmann Gourmet Electric (ugghh)

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

I've got one of these dogs.....used it once. I am going to smoke a 6 lb pork butt this weekend and see how it does for me...and I don't have high hopes. I'll post after I am finished. Any suggestions would be APPRECIATED.

Jason
Weber SS Genesis Gold C Gasser
Weber Performer 2008 Charcoal
Big Green Egg (Medium)
0

#7 User is offline   Bacardi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 1,313
  • Joined: 20-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Tip number one, if you have a relatively new puppy/dog who likes to chew on things, don't leave it out... :o

I had major problems with erratic temps. It seemed like it wants to heat up to 300f, constantly. But, if you open the lid, the temp really drops. I could never figure it out after about a dozen sessions, then my dog took care of the rest...
Ultimate $500 setup:
Uniflame Gold (avatar)
Ultra Sear IR
Masterbuilt digitially controlled smoker

Formerly owned and returned:
Sears Crossray IR (couldn't get it started)
Weber One Touch Silver (charcoal doesn't fit my lifestyle)
Fiesta Blue Ember (warped/melted all burners)
CB TEC (low temps)
CB H20 electric smoker (sold)
0

#8 User is offline   kitarkus 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Interests:
    Weber Summit E420<br />Weber Charcoal Kettle<br />Brinkmann Gourmet Electric (ugghh)

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Good Doggy :(

Methinks your dog might've done you a favor. Send that dog over to my place :o

I'm gonna put a pork butt on Saturday.....we'll see how it goes....i tried this last year with a brisket....I think I need a more forgiving pc. of meat for this POS smoker. I'll let you know how it goes. The butt is cheap enough to experiment with it....and maybe forgiving enough to get something decent out of this Brinkman.

If not..it'll be the last time I plug it in.

Jason
Weber SS Genesis Gold C Gasser
Weber Performer 2008 Charcoal
Big Green Egg (Medium)
0

#9 User is offline   kitarkus 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Interests:
    Weber Summit E420<br />Weber Charcoal Kettle<br />Brinkmann Gourmet Electric (ugghh)

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:26 AM

Well...done with the weekend...smoked a 5lb pork butt on the Gourmet Electric Brinkman as a bit of a test.

I used a bit of hickory....some apple...and some oak. Soaked for only about 10 minutes. The apple were chips and I put in foil with holes and placed directly on the electric element. The hickory and oak with small chunks and placed close to the elements. The apple did GREAT and worked PERFECTLY. The chunks partially burned...some I put on the element later during the cook.

I basted after 3 hours. At 5 hours....the point at which smoking is long done and the point at which I assumed I would be getting NEAR temperature...my pork registered 136 degrees. The grate surface temp taken via a grill surface temp thermometer read between 200 and 225 degrees....seemingly perfect. I think the pork should have been MUCH more done after 5 hours though. It was a windy day and I placed the smoker near the house and under a covered porch. My water bowl in the smoker was not even close to half empty after 5 hours.

I pulled it out of the smoker after 5 hours...wrapped tightly in foil....and placed in a 225 degree oven on a cookie sheet. After an additional 4 hours it was registering at 190 degrees. It had great smoky flavor and was juicy juicy juicy. Very succulent and the bone removed in one chunk like it was never attached.
Everyone REALLY enjoyed the pulled pork including myself. This method is not for the purists, however, Americas Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated suggests this method when smoking nearly everything (I am referring to finishing in the oven wrapped in foil). I ended up with 2.5lbs from the innitial 5lb pork butt....I thought this was pretty good after getting rid of the nasty bits.

Did it work for me?...not as I had expected. The results were, however, fantastic. It sure was easy. Much to my surprise....I would try this again.

Jason

PS...it was a nice cool day...felt like fall! Temps in the 50's.
Weber SS Genesis Gold C Gasser
Weber Performer 2008 Charcoal
Big Green Egg (Medium)
0

#10 User is offline   Bacardi 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 1,313
  • Joined: 20-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

 kitarkus, on May 5 2008, 09:26 AM, said:

Well...done with the weekend...smoked a 5lb pork butt on the Gourmet Electric Brinkman as a bit of a test.

I used a bit of hickory....some apple...and some oak. Soaked for only about 10 minutes. The apple were chips and I put in foil with holes and placed directly on the electric element. The hickory and oak with small chunks and placed close to the elements. The apple did GREAT and worked PERFECTLY. The chunks partially burned...some I put on the element later during the cook.

I basted after 3 hours. At 5 hours....the point at which smoking is long done and the point at which I assumed I would be getting NEAR temperature...my pork registered 136 degrees. The grate surface temp taken via a grill surface temp thermometer read between 200 and 225 degrees....seemingly perfect. I think the pork should have been MUCH more done after 5 hours though. It was a windy day and I placed the smoker near the house and under a covered porch. My water bowl in the smoker was not even close to half empty after 5 hours.

I pulled it out of the smoker after 5 hours...wrapped tightly in foil....and placed in a 225 degree oven on a cookie sheet. After an additional 4 hours it was registering at 190 degrees. It had great smoky flavor and was juicy juicy juicy. Very succulent and the bone removed in one chunk like it was never attached.
Everyone REALLY enjoyed the pulled pork including myself. This method is not for the purists, however, Americas Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated suggests this method when smoking nearly everything (I am referring to finishing in the oven wrapped in foil). I ended up with 2.5lbs from the innitial 5lb pork butt....I thought this was pretty good after getting rid of the nasty bits.

Did it work for me?...not as I had expected. The results were, however, fantastic. It sure was easy. Much to my surprise....I would try this again.

Jason

PS...it was a nice cool day...felt like fall! Temps in the 50's.


Thanks for the update. Did you get a chance to monitor the temp loss after you opened the lid?
Ultimate $500 setup:
Uniflame Gold (avatar)
Ultra Sear IR
Masterbuilt digitially controlled smoker

Formerly owned and returned:
Sears Crossray IR (couldn't get it started)
Weber One Touch Silver (charcoal doesn't fit my lifestyle)
Fiesta Blue Ember (warped/melted all burners)
CB TEC (low temps)
CB H20 electric smoker (sold)
0

#11 User is offline   takeahike66 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 2,142
  • Joined: 08-November 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SF Bay Area

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

 kitarkus, on May 5 2008, 08:26 AM, said:

Well...done with the weekend...smoked a 5lb pork butt on the Gourmet Electric Brinkman as a bit of a test.

I used a bit of hickory....some apple...and some oak. Soaked for only about 10 minutes. The apple were chips and I put in foil with holes and placed directly on the electric element. The hickory and oak with small chunks and placed close to the elements. The apple did GREAT and worked PERFECTLY. The chunks partially burned...some I put on the element later during the cook.

I basted after 3 hours. At 5 hours....the point at which smoking is long done and the point at which I assumed I would be getting NEAR temperature...my pork registered 136 degrees. The grate surface temp taken via a grill surface temp thermometer read between 200 and 225 degrees....seemingly perfect. I think the pork should have been MUCH more done after 5 hours though. It was a windy day and I placed the smoker near the house and under a covered porch. My water bowl in the smoker was not even close to half empty after 5 hours.

I pulled it out of the smoker after 5 hours...wrapped tightly in foil....and placed in a 225 degree oven on a cookie sheet. After an additional 4 hours it was registering at 190 degrees. It had great smoky flavor and was juicy juicy juicy. Very succulent and the bone removed in one chunk like it was never attached.
Everyone REALLY enjoyed the pulled pork including myself. This method is not for the purists, however, Americas Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated suggests this method when smoking nearly everything (I am referring to finishing in the oven wrapped in foil). I ended up with 2.5lbs from the innitial 5lb pork butt....I thought this was pretty good after getting rid of the nasty bits.

Did it work for me?...not as I had expected. The results were, however, fantastic. It sure was easy. Much to my surprise....I would try this again.

Jason

PS...it was a nice cool day...felt like fall! Temps in the 50's.


The slow BBQueing should take 8-12 hrs to render the fat. You can rush it at higher temp, but it won't be as tender.

Hike
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08
---------------------------------------------------

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate
0

#12 User is offline   kitarkus 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Interests:
    Weber Summit E420<br />Weber Charcoal Kettle<br />Brinkmann Gourmet Electric (ugghh)

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

No....as this unit does not have a thermometer! Geeeez. I used my grill surface temp. thermometer....which sits on the grates at the interior. Can only see it when opened. I'm not modifying this thing....it isn't worth it.

Jg

PS...I only opened it after 3 hours...then again after 5 hours.
Weber SS Genesis Gold C Gasser
Weber Performer 2008 Charcoal
Big Green Egg (Medium)
0

#13 User is offline   wvhillbilly 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 09-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morgantown, WV

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

is it easy to take the electric heating element out of it and use charcoal? would that work or would you need to add vents? I used my electric twice and I hate using the amps and also it cooks too hot
mystical flight of the arrow
0

#14 User is offline   kitarkus 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Interests:
    Weber Summit E420<br />Weber Charcoal Kettle<br />Brinkmann Gourmet Electric (ugghh)

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

 wvhillbilly, on Sep 10 2008, 10:38 AM, said:

is it easy to take the electric heating element out of it and use charcoal? would that work or would you ned to add vents? I used my electric twice and I hate using the amps and also it cooks to hot



I got rid of the Brinkman electric at the beginning of the summer. In my opinion it is junk. If you wish to modify it for charcoal...you ABSOLUTELY would need vents at the bottom in the charcoal bowl and one in the lid. The way that Brinkman is made...there is quite a gap between the body and the lid...allowing oxygen into the smoker...and I assume this will allow your charcoal to burn far too hot and fast.

You, my friend, need to bite the bullet and buy a Weber Smokey Mountain. You are trying to modify the Brinkman to be the WSM. I have found that there is some engineering that goes into these things. Example...the amount of play between pcs. ...should be tight so that the dampers/vents allow you to control the air and therefore the temps....also the qty. and size of the vents does matter. The WSM does a great job and seems to be what you are seeking given your post.

You are absolutely right about the Brinkman Electric and high temps....it cooks far too hot. I have heard of some guys hooking up a rheostat to the electric element allowing them to dial up or down the amperage...and therefore dial in the correct needed temps. I'm no electrician...but I'm talking about the same type of rheostat that allows you to dim a light. I'd try this before modifying for charcoal...cuz I don't think you will like the result after modifying that tin can with dampers. Charcoal also imo is just better for smoking....no question about it.

If I were you...I'd sell it or junk it....and look for a good used WSM. I have one I'm selling now on Craigslist...used once...with a Tel Tru thermometer...it is great...if only you were in KC. I am ONLY selling cuz I picked up a Big Green Egg. If the WSM doesn't sell for my price...I'll just keep it for when I do a big cook.

Good luck...I hope this was helpful.

Jason
Weber SS Genesis Gold C Gasser
Weber Performer 2008 Charcoal
Big Green Egg (Medium)
0

#15 User is offline   wvhillbilly 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 09-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morgantown, WV

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

 kitarkus, on Sep 10 2008, 11:49 AM, said:

I got rid of the Brinkman electric at the beginning of the summer. In my opinion it is junk. If you wish to modify it for charcoal...you ABSOLUTELY would need vents at the bottom in the charcoal bowl and one in the lid. The way that Brinkman is made...there is quite a gap between the body and the lid...allowing oxygen into the smoker...and I assume this will allow your charcoal to burn far too hot and fast.

You, my friend, need to bite the bullet and buy a Weber Smokey Mountain. You are trying to modify the Brinkman to be the WSM. I have found that there is some engineering that goes into these things. Example...the amount of play between pcs. ...should be tight so that the dampers/vents allow you to control the air and therefore the temps....also the qty. and size of the vents does matter. The WSM does a great job and seems to be what you are seeking given your post.

You are absolutely right about the Brinkman Electric and high temps....it cooks far too hot. I have heard of some guys hooking up a rheostat to the electric element allowing them to dial up or down the amperage...and therefore dial in the correct needed temps. I'm no electrician...but I'm talking about the same type of rheostat that allows you to dim a light. I'd try this before modifying for charcoal...cuz I don't think you will like the result after modifying that tin can with dampers. Charcoal also imo is just better for smoking....no question about it.

If I were you...I'd sell it or junk it....and look for a good used WSM. I have one I'm selling now on Craigslist...used once...with a Tel Tru thermometer...it is great...if only you were in KC. I am ONLY selling cuz I picked up a Big Green Egg. If the WSM doesn't sell for my price...I'll just keep it for when I do a big cook.

Good luck...I hope this was helpful.

Jason



ok
mystical flight of the arrow
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users