• You cannot reply to this topic

New FORMER TEC Grill Owner took it back 9-6 for FULL refund

#61 User is offline   GrillAg98 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

View Postjmair, on Oct 21 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

What has been your experience cooking with the 4 burner cb/tec grill..has the IR part of the grill met your expectations..that is one outstanding setup you have there..I don't think I would go back inside!! one would think with all the issues on this forum about the screws etc that CB/Tec would have sent out modifications etc and all this would have been handled by now..anyone got any info on the status with the 4 burner cb/tec grills and the support, besides returning them..

jim

The 4 burner has been excellent with until last week when I found the missing screws. I still went ahead and grilled, but the IR burners didnt get very hot (Im not sure how hot, didnt have a surface therm) and didnt mark or sear the steaks very well. With my kid's bday party coming up in two weeks, I need to get this problem fixed quickly.

Can anyone tell me where the serial number is located on their unit?

#62 User is offline   old_grouch 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:23 PM

i seem to remember the tag being on the back panel of my 3 burner model

#63 User is offline   Greasefire 

• PipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

I seem to remember the sticker on the 4 burner model being in the back, down at the bottom right corner I believe.

#64 User is offline   GrillAg98 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

View PostGreasefire, on Oct 23 2007, 10:12 AM, said:

I seem to remember the sticker on the 4 burner model being in the back, down at the bottom right corner I believe.

I will try and get a visual. It think it will be tough though.

#65 User is offline   Incus 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

We'll I returned my 3 burner TEC grill to Lowes last night. :lol: I was impressed with the customer service and the response to my concerns. I really hated to return the grill as I loved the TEC feature, but all my screw heads were sheared off, and the brackets that held the glass would not stay in place, making the TEC feature unusable and dangerous.
I have to say I was very tempted to take another "TEC" home to try but after much thought I decided to wait for the 2008 models and hope for a re-work or search for a comparative searing grill.
I'm "grill"less and feel empty :lol:

Watching homes burn in the west has giving me time to reflect and realize how serious this may have been.
Old grouch, thanks for stepping up and to the rest of the forum, thanks for the help.

Incus

#66 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Family, friends, cooking, grilling and civil war reenacting.<br />Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Marshall Thundering Herd and WVU Mountaineers

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

View PostIncus, on Oct 24 2007, 06:51 PM, said:

We'll I returned my 3 burner TEC grill to Lowes last night. :lol: I was impressed with the customer service and the response to my concerns. I really hated to return the grill as I loved the TEC feature, but all my screw heads were sheared off, and the brackets that held the glass would not stay in place, making the TEC feature unusable and dangerous.
I have to say I was very tempted to take another "TEC" home to try but after much thought I decided to wait for the 2008 models and hope for a re-work or search for a comparative searing grill.
I'm "grill"less and feel empty :lol:

Watching homes burn in the west has giving me time to reflect and realize how serious this may have been.
Old grouch, thanks for stepping up and to the rest of the forum, thanks for the help.

Incus

Incus:

Have you considered buying a portable grill to "hold you over"? Check out the following thread ...

My newer new grill. $129 portable IR by Ultra sear w/pix @
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...ost&p=14679

or, I have the BBQ Grillware portable @
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...ost&p=15265

BG in WV
Woman accepted cooking as a chore but man has made of it a recreation.

Jenn-Air 75K 720-0165 LP 2006
- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
- Acu-Rite Digital Meat Thermometer
- Oregon Grill-Right Wireless Thermometer
- BBQ Grillware LED Grill Light
- BBQ Grillware Barbecue Grill Light
- BBQ Grillware Rotisserie Basket
----Mods----
- Griddle/Grate Storage in LP Cabinet
- Rotisserie/Warming Rack Storage on Back
- Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotch 30 Year
- Wild Turkey Rye Whisky 101

BBQ Grillware 20K Verticle Smoker LP 2007

Quest Ultra-Sear Table Top LP January '08

BBQ Grillware 12K SS Table Top LP August '07
Given to future son-in-law January '08

#67 User is offline   sraft 

• Pip

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

Hi folks,

Like lot of other people, I've been very tempted by the specs of the Lowe'e CB/TEC grill and have been lurking :lol: here for a couple of months, gleaning information from all the discussions on this grill. All I have to say is that I'm both glad AND dissapointed that I haven't bought one of these. Glad I held off because of all the problems being exposed during its first full year on the market, but dissapointed because this grill has great specifications, cooks really well (when working properly) and is sold at a great price. It sounded too good to be true and apparently may be too good to be true.

When I saw the pictures of the busted screws, I decided I had to chime in. I'm a mechanical engineer and have worked with austenitic (300 series) stainless steels for over two decades. I'm very familiar with 304SS, so when I saw the CB claims of a stainless steel grill, I immediately went to Lowe's with a magnet in my pocket. I was pleasantly surprized to find that almost all of the CB/TEC grill panels are non-magnetic, thus most likely 304 SS. I did find a couple of sheets of magnetic meterial on the inside - they are the two panels that support the drip tray (it was a while ago when I did this check, so I might be off on the exact purpose of the panels). I also suspected, but did not verify that some of the fasteners would not be 304 either. "No big deal" I said to myself, I'll just get some proper 304 fasteners and replace every one on the grill if I have to.

I was ready to plunk down the $499 sale price that Lowe's wanted for the 3-burner unit and was waiting for my brother-in-law to help me get it home with his truck, but Lowe's has since raised the price back up to $699 so I held off. At this price, considering all the problems I've been reading about (melting knobs, lousy rotisserie design), it is not as great a bargain as it appears. This recent rash of TEC burner screws popping off has really turned me off.

All the pictures posted show brittle fractures. Annealed 304SS is a very ductile material and will not fail in that way. At grilling temperatures, it will become a bit weaker, but not brittle. The fact that these fasteners rusted and suffered a brittle failure tells me that they are just cheap junk. Why would CB save a few pennies on the fasteners, when they spent the considerable $$ on 304 panels for the entire grill housing?? I suppose that the TEC burner, screws and all, may have been procured from a third party source that provided the crappy fasteners.

So what am I to do? I'm always looking for a bargain, and I'd rather not spend twice as much for a more reliable product from a manufacturer with a better reputation - but in the long run this might be the better option. I suppose that I can buy this grill (but only if Lowe's brings it back down to $499) and replace the ALL the fasteners, but I'm worried that there are too many things going wrong with this product - where there's smoke, there's fire!! Besides, why should I have to field-engineer CB's bad design. Will they put out an improved product in 2008 - who knows??

I apologize for the rant and the lecture on materials and fasteners, but I had to get it off my chest. These things aren't hard to engineer and it drives me nuts :lol: when I see this degree of poor execution being offered to consumers as a quality product.

Regards, Steve

#68 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Family, friends, cooking, grilling and civil war reenacting.<br />Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Marshall Thundering Herd and WVU Mountaineers

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

View Postsraft, on Oct 31 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

Hi folks,

Like lot of other people, I've been very tempted by the specs of the Lowe'e CB/TEC grill and have been lurking :lol: here for a couple of months, gleaning information from all the discussions on this grill. All I have to say is that I'm both glad AND dissapointed that I haven't bought one of these. Glad I held off because of all the problems being exposed during its first full year on the market, but dissapointed because this grill has great specifications, cooks really well (when working properly) and is sold at a great price. It sounded too good to be true and apparently may be too good to be true.

When I saw the pictures of the busted screws, I decided I had to chime in. I'm a mechanical engineer and have worked with austenitic (300 series) stainless steels for over two decades. I'm very familiar with 304SS, so when I saw the CB claims of a stainless steel grill, I immediately went to Lowe's with a magnet in my pocket. I was pleasantly surprized to find that almost all of the CB/TEC grill panels are non-magnetic, thus most likely 304 SS. I did find a couple of sheets of magnetic meterial on the inside - they are the two panels that support the drip tray (it was a while ago when I did this check, so I might be off on the exact purpose of the panels). I also suspected, but did not verify that some of the fasteners would not be 304 either. "No big deal" I said to myself, I'll just get some proper 304 fasteners and replace every one on the grill if I have to.

I was ready to plunk down the $499 sale price that Lowe's wanted for the 3-burner unit and was waiting for my brother-in-law to help me get it home with his truck, but Lowe's has since raised the price back up to $699 so I held off. At this price, considering all the problems I've been reading about (melting knobs, lousy rotisserie design), it is not as great a bargain as it appears. This recent rash of TEC burner screws popping off has really turned me off.

All the pictures posted show brittle fractures. Annealed 304SS is a very ductile material and will not fail in that way. At grilling temperatures, it will become a bit weaker, but not brittle. The fact that these fasteners rusted and suffered a brittle failure tells me that they are just cheap junk. Why would CB save a few pennies on the fasteners, when they spent the considerable $$ on 304 panels for the entire grill housing?? I suppose that the TEC burner, screws and all, may have been procured from a third party source that provided the crappy fasteners.

So what am I to do? I'm always looking for a bargain, and I'd rather not spend twice as much for a more reliable product from a manufacturer with a better reputation - but in the long run this might be the better option. I suppose that I can buy this grill (but only if Lowe's brings it back down to $499) and replace the ALL the fasteners, but I'm worried that there are too many things going wrong with this product - where there's smoke, there's fire!! Besides, why should I have to field-engineer CB's bad design. Will they put out an improved product in 2008 - who knows??

I apologize for the rant and the lecture on materials and fasteners, but I had to get it off my chest. These things aren't hard to engineer and it drives me nuts :lol: when I see this degree of poor execution being offered to consumers as a quality product.

Regards, Steve

Steve:

Welcome to the forum and no need to apologize! You make very valid comments on the state of the CB TEC grills. Members have reported that CB has "fixed" the fastener problem ... but I agree with you that the TEC needs to prove itself as a reliable/viable product before I'd plunk down $700.

Keep us updated on your grill search!

BG in WV

- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
----Mods----

#69 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

View PostBilly Goat, on Oct 24 2007, 07:02 PM, said:

Incus:

Have you considered buying a portable grill to "hold you over"? Check out the following thread ...

My newer new grill. $129 portable IR by Ultra sear w/pix @
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...ost&p=14679

or, I have the BBQ Grillware portable @
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...ost&p=15265

BG in WV

So BG - you purchased both grill???????

I know the Grillware was on sell with discount coupon for $49, which is a great buy, but two portable grills????

So what is your opinion on the two grills?
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

#70 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

View Posttakeahike66, on Nov 2 2007, 08:14 PM, said:

So BG - you purchased both grill???????

I know the Grillware was on sell with discount coupon for $49, which is a great buy, but two portable grills????

So what is your opinion on the two grills?

Hike:

No ... I only purchased the Grillware portable [My wife will only indulge me so far :P ] ... I was just suggesting the Ultra Sear as another alternative/interim grill for Incus .... I didn't check my "cut and paste" before I posted. :)

BG in WV

- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
----Mods----

#71 User is offline   PHRoberts 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:57 AM

Well, this is my first post here. This is a great forum - I got hungry last night just reading all of the stuff you guys do with your grills! So far my grilling has been fairly boring... steaks, burgers, chicken breasts... nothing like pizza on hot stones. I 'll have to branch out.

Anyhow, I bought my 3 burner Charbroil/ TEC grill in early May. I had an issue with the IR burner glass not laying down right, and the side burner knob not lining up right when I assembled everything - but chalked it up to an early unit in a new model run. Got those issues tweaked up and have loved the grill through the summer. As early as June I started finding the bottom half of screws in my drip pan, but hadn't pulled everything apart to see where they were coming from.

Then a week or so I started having the flash-back issues mentioned here. So now I'm in a quandry... should I take this guy back and wait to see what happens next year - or get the replacement burner and keep this one? In SC I can grill through most of the winter, so I really hate to be grill-less.

So - does anyone have information on what the next generation of these grills will be? I saw something here, but the links to another site didn't work for me. Also, does anyone have confirmation that the new IR burner is any different than the current one - e.g. better screws?

Thanks!

Heath

#72 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:13 PM

View PostPHRoberts, on Nov 20 2007, 09:57 AM, said:

Well, this is my first post here. This is a great forum - I got hungry last night just reading all of the stuff you guys do with your grills! So far my grilling has been fairly boring... steaks, burgers, chicken breasts... nothing like pizza on hot stones. I 'll have to branch out.

Anyhow, I bought my 3 burner Charbroil/ TEC grill in early May. I had an issue with the IR burner glass not laying down right, and the side burner knob not lining up right when I assembled everything - but chalked it up to an early unit in a new model run. Got those issues tweaked up and have loved the grill through the summer. As early as June I started finding the bottom half of screws in my drip pan, but hadn't pulled everything apart to see where they were coming from.

Then a week or so I started having the flash-back issues mentioned here. So now I'm in a quandry... should I take this guy back and wait to see what happens next year - or get the replacement burner and keep this one? In SC I can grill through most of the winter, so I really hate to be grill-less.

So - does anyone have information on what the next generation of these grills will be? I saw something here, but the links to another site didn't work for me. Also, does anyone have confirmation that the new IR burner is any different than the current one - e.g. better screws?

Thanks!

Heath

Can't help you out on the decision of return and wait for new or have the burner replaced, but the new replacement burners should have the new screws. This was the last posting that I saw.
Takeahike66
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

#73 User is offline   PHRoberts 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

View Posttakeahike66, on Nov 20 2007, 12:13 PM, said:

Can't help you out on the decision of return and wait for new or have the burner replaced, but the new replacement burners should have the new screws. This was the last posting that I saw.

That's good to hear. I think mine is a very early production grill... my serial number sticker is blank.

I just checked the grill, and one of the screws that holds the burner to the grill is missing it's head, and the other one won't budge - I stripped it out trying to move it.

I called Charbroil, and the representative is checking with her supervisor to see how to handle it. I don't mind taking it back to Lowe's if they'll upgrade me to a 4 burner ;)

I don't mind taking out a couple of screws, but I'll be darned if I'm going to start drilling and taping these things out with easy-outs! I could have fixed my old grill and gotten another year or two out of it if I wanted to play DIY grill repair man.

Heath

#74 User is offline   Billy Goat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:17 PM

View PostPHRoberts, on Nov 20 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

That's good to hear. I think mine is a very early production grill... my serial number sticker is blank.

I just checked the grill, and one of the screws that holds the burner to the grill is missing it's head, and the other one won't budge - I stripped it out trying to move it.

I called Charbroil, and the representative is checking with her supervisor to see how to handle it. I don't mind taking it back to Lowe's if they'll upgrade me to a 4 burner ;)

I don't mind taking out a couple of screws, but I'll be darned if I'm going to start drilling and taping these things out with easy-outs! I could have fixed my old grill and gotten another year or two out of it if I wanted to play DIY grill repair man.

Heath

Heath ...
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your CB TEC issues.

Why don't you send a PM to forum member RobSchwing ? He is the VP Product Development & Marketing at Char-Broil LLC. Maybe he can answer some of your questions and help you out.

BG in WV

- Jenn-Air Rotisserie
- Jenn-Air Cover
----Mods----

#75 User is offline   PHRoberts 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:20 PM

View PostBilly Goat, on Nov 20 2007, 05:17 PM, said:

Why don't you send a PM to forum member RobSchwing ? He is the VP Product Development & Marketing at Char-Broil LLC. Maybe he can answer some of your questions and help you out.

Thanks for the welcome BG! I think I'm going to go through the normal channels and see how they work first - and then if I can't get this resolved - I'll send a PM. I really do like this grill, and if the only issue is a small run of substandard screws, then it should be easy enough to fix. I sort of expected to have a couple of issues on a completely new product, so it's not a huge surprise - just a headache. They always say not to buy the first year of a new model run in cars, so I guess that applies to grills too.

Not to mention I don't want to be without a grill all "winter" (the quotes are for you that actually see snow ;) ) - I'll certainly keep everyone posted.

Thanks!

Heath

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users