• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with Jenn-Air 720-0061-LP caught fire

#1 User is offline   cheryle421 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:11 PM

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am doing some research. I bought my Jenn-Air 720-0061-LP grill in Dec. of 2004 and never had a moments trouble with it. Last night, I put two ribeyes on my grill and went to get a plate. In a minute in a half the whole top part of my grill was engaged in fire. It was coming out the front, back, and sides. After turning off the gas and burners it burned for 15 minutes. In the time I was away from the grill the steaks wouldn't have even had chance to sear.

I have contacted Nexgrill and sent them a receipt and pictures and hope to get a resolution soon. They said they would either give me a new grill or refund my money. I purchase it at our local Lowe's and had been very happy with it. This experience scared me though and I am wondering if anyone out there has gone through anything similar. I am willing to try a new grill if they give me one but I am just trying to see if there is a trend. Has anyone owned their Jenn-Air 720-0061-LP grills for more than a year? If so, what has been your experience? Responses would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

#2 User is offline   Jon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    software<br />martial arts<br />music

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:26 PM

cheryle421, on Jun 20 2005, 08:11 PM, said:

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am doing some research.  I bought my Jenn-Air 720-0061-LP grill in Dec. of 2004 and never had a moments trouble with it.  Last night, I put two ribeyes on my grill and went to get a plate.  In a minute in a half the whole top part of my grill was engaged in fire.  It was coming out the front, back, and sides.  After turning off the gas and burners it burned for 15 minutes.  In the time I was away from the grill the steaks wouldn't have even had chance to sear. 
..snip...<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow - scary experience. Glad nobody was hurt. I've done some searching, and haven't found *any* reports similar to what you describe. Sounds like a fluke to me. Also - if this were a design flaw that has shown up before, the grill would have been recalled. Nexgrill did recall a small portable grill a year to two ago after two reports of a possible problem surfaced. I cannot imagine them leaving a grill like the 720-0061 on sale if there were known dangers.

I'm guessing that what happened in your case is a fluke. The fact that the grill continued to burn for 15 minutes after you turned it off suggests to me that there was probably something wrong with the propane tank, the fitting or the hose, or some connection from the tank to the burners had come loose.

I've read about potential problems when spiders build nests in the air inlet tubes that lead to the burners (usually over the winter if you don't use the grill frequently). One writeup described the possibility of gas backing up outside the burner with the possibility of a fire somewhere between the burner and the control knob. I can imagine that if, for example, two of your burners operated properly and started up right up, but the third did not light (and also had spider webs/egg sacs stuffing up the venturi tube) perhaps gas from the third burner started to accumulate in the top of the closed grill for several seconds before getting ignited by the flames down below from the other burners.

Anyway - I really think that what you experienced is a fluke. If you'll skim some of the threads, you'll find a few folks here with the same grill as yours (mine too) who have used it over the year - VERY heavily, and with great success. It really is a superbly built grill overall.
- Jon

2005 Jenn-Air (Lowes / Nexgrill) 720-0061
(new as of Memorial Day '05)
Princeton Jct, NJ

http://www.stronggroup.com

#3 User is offline   oillogger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Computers, Technology, Christian Music, BBQing, and Biking (a fading past time).

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

cheryle421,

Sorry to hear about this. Sounds really bad. Do you happen to know what failed and how? All of us other Jenn-Air grill would want to inure this does not happen to them. Any details and pictures would help.

Always let the Son shine thru.

Hibachi Double Steak Burner 1976 - Raccoons stole it in 1979. No regrets.
CharBroil Lava Rock Wonder 1978 - The piece of garbagge died in 1982 and went somewhere other than BBQ Heaven. See ya.
Cajun Cooker from Wilsons 1982 - Still a kicking but in the retirement home as the GOSM took the smoking helm.
Thermos Lava Rock Wonder 1985 - Died in 1990 and also went somewhere other than BBQ Heaven. No love lost here.
Weber Gensis 1994 - Died a faithful death in 2006. Currently resting peacefully in BBQ Heaven. Miss you dear old friend.
Jenn-Air/Nexgrill, 720-0061-LP, 3 burner, 45K BTU from Lowes July 27, 2004
GOSM Big Block, June 2006
Ultra-Sear, December 25th, 2007

#4 User is offline   cheryle421 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

Jon, on Jun 20 2005, 09:26 PM, said:

Wow - scary experience. Glad nobody was hurt. I've done some searching, and haven't found *any* reports similar to what you describe. Sounds like a fluke to me. Also - if this were a design flaw that has shown up before, the grill would have been recalled. Nexgrill did recall a small portable grill a year to two ago after two reports of a possible problem surfaced. I cannot imagine them leaving a grill like the 720-0061 on sale if there were known dangers.

I'm guessing that what happened in your case is a fluke. The fact that the grill continued to burn for 15 minutes after you turned it off suggests to me that there was probably something wrong with the propane tank, the fitting or the hose, or some connection from the tank to the burners had come loose.

I've read about potential problems when spiders build nests in the air inlet tubes that lead to the burners (usually over the winter if you don't use the grill frequently). One writeup described the possibility of gas backing up outside the burner with the possibility of a fire somewhere between the burner and the control knob. I can imagine that if, for example, two of your burners operated properly and started up right up, but the third did not light (and also had spider webs/egg sacs stuffing up the venturi tube) perhaps gas from the third burner started to accumulate in the top of the closed grill for several seconds before getting ignited by the flames down below from the other burners.

Anyway - I really think that what you experienced is a fluke. If you'll skim some of the threads, you'll find a few folks here with the same grill as yours (mine too) who have used it over the year - VERY heavily, and with great success. It really is a superbly built grill overall.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 User is offline   cheryle421 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

Jon, on Jun 20 2005, 09:26 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#6 User is offline   dwost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    European cars, skiing, home theater, landscaping, home remodeling, gardening, kayaking, boating anything outdoors!!!

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:57 PM

Cheryle, I too am sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad no one was hurt. I've had my grill for over a year and have never had an issue with it. I do have a couple questions. I know that I received a letter from LG Sourcing (who distributes these grills) highlighting that some of the connections for the side burners had not been completely tightened from the factory. I'd say there is a chance that maybe one of your connections were loose creating a gas leak. I think Jon has hit on some very good points as well. Another thing to consider if you do use your grill frequently there will be build up in the body of the grill which may have caught fire. Your comment about it burning after you turned it off leads me to believe this could be the case or as Jon mentioned a faulty tank, connection, etc... I'd say if Nexgrill sends you a replacement to use it. I think you may have had a lemon. Please post some pics and let us know how this turns out.

Don
Don

2004 Jenn-Air 720-0061 (3 burner)

Modifications

- cast SS burners
- upper/lower removable vent mod
- NG conversion: upgraded to 54,000 btu
- utensile hooks, rotisserie storage, internal rack, paper towel holder
- Nexgrill griddle

#7 User is offline   GrillDaddy 

• Pip

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

cheryle421, on Jun 20 2005, 09:43 PM, said:

Cheryle,
Sorry to hear about what happened to your grill. I had an incident last week but at a much smaller scale. After grilling I like to turn up all the burners to burn everything off of the grates and when I turned off the burners I heard a poof! And I noticed that there was flame glowing underneath the sheet metal so I opened up the doors and I saw flame coming out where the hose meets the brass crimped connection going into the regulater. I replaced the whole regulater and hose assembly and have solved the issue. I know I was not there but I would guess this is what happened. Good Luck with Nexgrill on getting the issue resolved. I love my grill and the only way I could get rid of it is for a bigger JennAir grill. Love it, Love it Love it.....

I will say this: anyone who purchases these grills need to go over every screw and retighten them because they do not make sure they are super tight from the factory.

#8 User is offline   dwost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    European cars, skiing, home theater, landscaping, home remodeling, gardening, kayaking, boating anything outdoors!!!

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

GrillDaddy, on Jun 22 2005, 02:18 PM, said:

Cheryle,
Sorry to hear about what happened to your grill. I had an incident last week but at a much smaller scale. After grilling I like to turn up all the burners to burn everything off of the grates and when I turned off the burners I heard a poof! And I noticed that there was flame glowing underneath the sheet metal so I opened up the doors and I saw flame coming out where the hose meets the  brass crimped connection going into the regulater. I replaced the whole regulater and hose assembly and have solved the issue. I know I was not there but I would guess this is what happened. Good Luck with Nexgrill on getting the issue resolved.  I love my grill and the only way I could get rid of it is for a bigger  JennAir grill.  Love it, Love it Love it.....

I will say this: anyone who purchases these grills need to go over every screw and retighten them because they do not make sure they are super tight from the factory.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW!! The flame was coming out at the regulator connected to the tank????? I'd DEFINITELY let Nexgrill know about that, you are very lucky the tank didn't explode.

Don
Don

2004 Jenn-Air 720-0061 (3 burner)

Modifications

- cast SS burners
- upper/lower removable vent mod
- NG conversion: upgraded to 54,000 btu
- utensile hooks, rotisserie storage, internal rack, paper towel holder
- Nexgrill griddle

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic