BBQ Source Forums: Old Smokey Smoker - (PICTURES WILL SAY IT ALL) - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old Smokey Smoker - (PICTURES WILL SAY IT ALL)

#1 User is offline   Daithuy 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

I have read and learned you guys alot. Now is my turn to share my learning as my thanks to all :rolleyes: Try to do with pictures because I believe they will say thousand words!!

Picture1: Bought Old Smokey Smoker from Rivercountry101 (Ebaby). Recieved in 5 days. No Bent. Good email reply. I drilled and installed 2'' temp gauge
Posted Image

Picture 2: Burn-in as instruction for the first use (followed the manual)
Posted Image

Picture 3: After cool down. Added wood chip (hickory & apple). ~ 2 full hands.
Posted Image

Picture 4: 4 pieces with 3 different favors and 1 blank. Ready to cook.
Posted Image

Picture 5: Set the knob to MED -> Smoke started in few minutes -> Added beef -> Closed the lip for 5 hours -> Gauge shows ~200oF most of the time (outside temp is ~50oF).
Posted Image

Picture 6: All juice dripped down.
Posted Image

Picture 7: Wood all burned.
Posted Image

Picture 8: Beef super wet outside. Die the inside.
Posted Image

Summary: I was unsuccess (failed) on this 1st time.
* Smoke flavor is 10. Very good. As I have learned hickory & apple is the best combination for beef.
* Outside is very moisture (look like steam!). I gave it 8 beacuse if I do it right it should keep the moisture!
* Inside is too dry. I give 2! (2 because I think because part of it is my fault. With this smoker, I should only need ~1-2hours at 150oF for the steak beef. After that, either turn all the way up or put on the grill for 10 minutes. It should be better. I will give it a try again!).

I have done chicken on my 2nd try, as the test drive for Thanksgiving Turkey coming. Chicken turned out EXCELLENT. Scored all 10. I took pictures and will post later when I have time.
Dai

#2 User is offline   bluesin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:
    Women, Disc Golf
    Women, Smoking and Barbecuing
    Women, Training Dogs
    Women, Photography
    Women, Camping and Hiking
    Did I mention Women?

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

Great to hear and welcome to the BBQ Source Forums.

Yep, methinks 5 hours was way too long, but that's the fun thing about this hobby, its being able to keepoon trying and perfecting, at first folks will say that's not quite right and you try again and get a little better. Once you master the craft, then folks will still keep saying "that's not quite right" but they'll add "so can we come back next week for you to try it again", then you'll know that are just bs'ing you to get you to cook for them every weekend:>)

Bluesin
Help support the BBQ Source Forums, Click here to make a donation

#3 User is offline   Pign It 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Music, Old Trucks, Old Cars, Guitars, Harleys, Fishin, Smokin, Wife, Not necessarily in that order

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

View Postbluesin, on Nov 22 2008, 11:08 AM, said:

Great to hear and welcome to the BBQ Source Forums.

Yep, methinks 5 hours was way too long, but that's the fun thing about this hobby, its being able to keepoon trying and perfecting, at first folks will say that's not quite right and you try again and get a little better. Once you master the craft, then folks will still keep saying "that's not quite right" but they'll add "so can we come back next week for you to try it again", then you'll know that are just bs'ing you to get you to cook for them every weekend:>)

Bluesin

Yep. I agree. Every cut of meat takes a different method, time, sauce, etc. and none of the above are definitive. (I can only use a 4 syllable word once on the weekends here in TN). My rule of thumb is..... the tougher the cut of meat the longer it takes to smoke. The more tender cuts need braising and indirect heat for a very short period of time. Cook the devil out of Pork but watch what your doing with beef. This philosophy (wooops) has kept me at a comfortable 250 pounds for years. I think it's my ideal weight. And you do know that a dry chunk of meat can be made into something delectable (dang!) with a little sauce, crispin up or even soup. Keep on smokin.
Pign it

Masterbuilt Gas Smoker
Brinkman Gourmet Electric Smoker
Charbroil Commercial NG Grill
Weber Gas Q100

#4 User is offline   Daithuy 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

2nd TRY: CHICKEN

Picture 1: Chicken was marinaded overnight in refrigerator.
Posted Image

Picture 2: Same concept here using Smokey Smoker -> Set to MED (~200oF) for 3 hours -> The chicken looked beautiful (good moisture). I checked and the inside little bit unsure. To be safe for eating, I put in Oven with setting broil for 20 minutes at 350oF. It turned out....
Posted Image
EXCELLENT!!! :P Smoker favor is 10. Moisture is 10. Tender is 10. The look is 8 :lol: (because the skin was teared apart!). Family had chicken and 2 dishes in that dinner night. We finished the chicken completely. Other 2 dishes.... were moved to refrig for next day!!!

SUMMARY:
* Since I broiled in the oven, the heat from the upper heating element of oven teared the skin apart!!?? Next time, for the oven step, I may set "bake" (heat from bottom) instead of "broil"????
* Use the juice from the dripping pan in the smoker. It is very good.
* If I do chicken again, I should increase to 4-5 hours for the smoker. Depend how it goes, I may or may not use the oven. It should turn out good.
* I will use this smoker 1-2 more times before Thanksgiving Turkey. Just try to get use to it before the main event :rolleyes:

Any input will be aprreciated.
Have a nice day.
Dai

#5 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

View PostDaithuy, on Nov 23 2008, 01:09 AM, said:

2nd TRY: CHICKEN

Picture 1: Chicken was marinaded overnight in refrigerator.
Posted Image

Picture 2: Same concept here using Smokey Smoker -> Set to MED (~200oF) for 3 hours -> The chicken looked beautiful (good moisture). I checked and the inside little bit unsure. To be safe for eating, I put in Oven with setting broil for 20 minutes at 350oF. It turned out....
Posted Image
EXCELLENT!!! :P Smoker favor is 10. Moisture is 10. Tender is 10. The look is 8 :lol: (because the skin was teared apart!). Family had chicken and 2 dishes in that dinner night. We finished the chicken completely. Other 2 dishes.... were moved to refrig for next day!!!

SUMMARY:
* Since I broiled in the oven, the heat from the upper heating element of oven teared the skin apart!!?? Next time, for the oven step, I may set "bake" (heat from bottom) instead of "broil"????
* Use the juice from the dripping pan in the smoker. It is very good.
* If I do chicken again, I should increase to 4-5 hours for the smoker. Depend how it goes, I may or may not use the oven. It should turn out good.
* I will use this smoker 1-2 more times before Thanksgiving Turkey. Just try to get use to it before the main event :rolleyes:

Any input will be aprreciated.
Have a nice day.
Dai

:P ;) Well it all looked good enough to eat...I use my old Smokey all the time..Since it was named "Redi Smoke" I have to add some moisture in the pan if the meat is to thin to maintain a water level in the pan...(You can add water, beer, or juce and water mixture..) and a temperature probe from Target or Amazon is a must....no more guess work to ruin your meat...I do a 10 pound turkey in mine in 4 hours or less on high...Stick that temp probe in the thigh...and pull it out at 180-190 degrees. and enjoy..ther are pictures ocer in the picture section somewhere on this site...Been gone since Shelly left..
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

#6 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

Bill,

I've come back. :rolleyes: Fairly healthy now and hoping to age gracefully.

I've replaced the Old Smokey with the Masterbuilt. I could not overcome the high moisture content and steaming of the food that was happening with Smokie.

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle

#7 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

View Postshelly, on Nov 23 2008, 03:50 PM, said:

Bill,

I've come back. :rolleyes: Fairly healthy now and hoping to age gracefully.

I've replaced the Old Smokey with the Masterbuilt. I could not overcome the high moisture content and steaming of the food that was happening with Smokie.

Shelly

Great Shelly ..Glad to see you back! Yep! I knew Old Smokey was too moist for you...You like that good ole crispness,,,like the Masterbuilt will give you...I have always used my Old Smokey for all the meat I wanted to smoke in a hurry high temp (350)...but stays moist...like brisket,roasts, Fowl of all kinds..and pinto beans plus other veggies at times..I use my home built temp controlled sausage, jerky smoker for the drier crispy stuff...Its has the same features as the masterbuilt..
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

#8 User is offline   Brent 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

The chicken looks delicious Dai. I'm glad it's working out for you. I bet you'll get the brisket right on the second pass, congrats!.
TEC Cherokee FR
Weber One-Touch Kettle
Weber Genesis-Silver
Weber Q200
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
OldSmokey Electric Smoker (has its uses)
Solaire IR (Soon to be on craigslist)

#9 User is offline   Daithuy 

• Pip

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

View PostBrent, on Nov 24 2008, 09:01 PM, said:

The chicken looks delicious Dai. I'm glad it's working out for you. I bet you'll get the brisket right on the second pass, congrats!.

Thanks Brent. I learned alot from you guys and want to share what I just learned. Appreciate all inputs.

Honestly, I afraid to try beef again :-( I don't want to wast money as my 1st try. Outside is super wet but the inside failed badly (completly dried-out).

I'm smoking my pork (baby rib and roast) for my 3rd try. It is looking good! If you guys want to see I will post some pictures.
Dai

#10 User is offline   Brent 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

One note about ribs Dai. They'll probably be done in 1.5 hours once the unit gets to temperature. Don't let them go too long or they'll lose all their flavor on the old smokey. Pork Roast is a no brainer on the old smokey, it turns out very good.
TEC Cherokee FR
Weber One-Touch Kettle
Weber Genesis-Silver
Weber Q200
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
OldSmokey Electric Smoker (has its uses)
Solaire IR (Soon to be on craigslist)

#11 User is offline   Daithuy 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

View PostBrent, on Nov 25 2008, 04:53 PM, said:

One note about ribs Dai. They'll probably be done in 1.5 hours once the unit gets to temperature. Don't let them go too long or they'll lose all their flavor on the old smokey. Pork Roast is a no brainer on the old smokey, it turns out very good.

Thanks for your note. I finished my cooking before reading your note (again!). Anyway, thank you for sharing the info. You mentioned 1.5hours probably you set at high temp, least 200oF.

3rd TRY: PORK
This time I tried to maintain low temp = ~170oF. My is my result:

PIC#1: Pork Roast from Winco (ready to smoke!).
Posted Image

PIC#2: Pork baby rib is on bottom rack. Pork roast on top rack.
Posted Image

PIC#3: Temp set to 170oF. After 4 hours. Outside looks very moisture.
Posted Image

PIC#4: Bring into oven. Set 350oF. 20mins total (10minutes on each side).
Posted Image

PIC#5: Very good results. Inside/outside get 10 points. Favor (by Winco) is 10 too.
Posted Image

PIC#6: Rib is very good also.
Posted Image

I will smoke turkey for my family. I think I know what to do with this smoker.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
Dai

#12 User is offline   snake 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:58 AM

I have the old smokey electric for about 4 months now. The outcome of smoking any meat is excellent if one simply sear the meat on all sides before you put it in the old smokey. Searing the meat first keeps the juice from dripping out of the meat. The result is a a meat product that has excellent smoke flavor, a very moist interior and a contrasting textural crust on the outside. And the meat looks great. Awesome.

Here is my setup:
1. smokey with temp gauge mounted on side wall just below the top grill rack.
2. bought a temp prop for meat with remote reader. I drilled a small hole on the lid for temp probe insert. Put a wood block on top of hole to keep to smoke from escaping.

Procedure for tri-tip. (work also for pork, chicken, ribs, roast etc with same general principles )
1. Rub spices on meat
2. Brown or sear the meat on my gas bbq grille. All sides. I brown instead of sear if I don't feel like having any carbon taste on the meat.
3. take out of bbq grill and put in Old smokey.
4. stick temp probe in middle of meat. Meat reads 80 degrees. (side note: I tried semi frozen with reading at 29degrees and the meat still came out great but a bit too smokey.)
5. Put lid on and Turn on smokey on highest setting. In about 10 minutes, bbq temp reads 250 degrees and it is really smoking. Meat at 95 degrees.
6. Turn down smokey to just below medium. Temp drops to 200 to 225 degrees. (outdoor temp is about 70 degrees)
7. In about 45 minutes (depending on thickness of meat) , meat prop reads 140 degrees. I like mine rare. Perfect for me.
8. The smoke flavor is a wonderful.. The meat is surprisingly moist inside and the outer meat remains crusty and is incredifully flavorful. The dripping in the dripping bowl below is very minimal compared to not browning the meat.
9. The look of the meat is a 10 (seared look but with a dampness). The favor of the meat is rich especially with the crust due to the searing / browning. No need for sauce.

Notes:
1. The first few time I used the old smokey, I did not brown the meat. What happens is that the moisture from the meat drips out far too excessively. The exterior of the meat opens up, and out comes the moisture and leaving the meat unsatisfactory dry inside, moist outside. The result is favorlessness. The worst part is it leave the meat looking more like a unappetizing steamed piece of turd. The large amount of juice in the dripping bowl is so smokey that it was too strong to use as a gravy or sauce.
2. There is so much smoke in old smokey (sealed container) that searing won't prevent the smoke from penetrating deep into the meat. One time I added alot of wood chips and slow cooked a thick roast for over 2 hours. The smoke flavor was so strong I was getting a stinging sensation on my tongue. It felt like there were toxins on the meat. I ate the roast anyways because I hate to waste. Needless to say, no one else in the family ate it.
3. This is my first smoker, but I have tasted alot of smoked meat before. When done right, the old smoky produces an elite ranked product. What sets it apart from the rest is old smokey's higher potential in keep the meat moist due to its sealed container.
4. Minimal cleaning. Put foil on the drip bowl, and the only clean up is the rack and meat temp probe.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users