• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stacked barrel smoker finally done

#1 User is offline   George 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hi: Thought I would open a new thread for this tempest in a tea pot. The first line was under "Double Barrel Smoket" how many stacks?

I finally got this baby finished (maybe). Anyway, I promised the wife and several friends that it would be brisket and butt on Easter. I am burning the unit in as I write. Hope to get the temp. contoll understood in some fashion by midnight so that I can start smoking the brisket and butt that is in the fridge with dry rub since yesterday. With the info and help I've gotten from you on this site, I'm actually believing that my first try will turn out right.
Pictures of the build and finished project are attached (I hope). If it is not the right size please excuse. I'm a beginner.
The white specs on the cooker will go away. Paint from house painters; the tank has been around for 15 years. Criticism is welcomed. George

#2 User is offline   bluesin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:
    Women, Disc Golf
    Women, Smoking and Barbecuing
    Women, Training Dogs
    Women, Photography
    Women, Camping and Hiking
    Did I mention Women?

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Looks good, a reminder, please resize your photos to 800 x 600 before uploading them to our server, they will use a lot less space and can be viewed in your monitor window without scrolling.

Thanks,

Bluesin
Help support the BBQ Source Forums, Click here to make a donation

#3 User is offline   REELKEEN 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Diving, Hunting, Tailgating and Grilling.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

Wow. That thing is awesome. definately turned out better than I ever could have imagined. I'm thoroughly impressed. Can't wait to see some food off of it.
-Jordan

2004 Jenn Air 720-0063
5 main burners
1 Rotisserie burner
Sear Burner Mod October 2008
Custom Fit 7' Long Grill Cover

Perfect Flame Vertical Propane Smoker

#4 User is offline   George 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

View PostREELKEEN, on Apr 12 2009, 11:23 PM, said:

Wow. That thing is awesome. definately turned out better than I ever could have imagined. I'm thoroughly impressed. Can't wait to see some food off of it.

Thanks for the "atta-boys". This build was far more involved and tedious than I imagined in the beginning. The most annoying part (as always) was having to run all ove town to find this part or that.

I'll post pictures of my next try.

Yesterday's meal was a base hit. It might have been an in-park home run if not for the seven hour wait between the finished product and the meal. The butt tolerated the wait well, but the brisket suffered some form dehydration. I'll do a better job at sealing the meat the next time and getting it done nearer to feasting time. Surprisingly the meat was still hot when taken from the cooler. All in all everyone liked both brisket and butt. But then, there were no smokers at the party and we did not have a whole lot to compare it to. <_<
I've got a pair of greenhead mallards in the freezer that I will try next. Anyone have a good recepy?
Thanks, George

#5 User is offline   REELKEEN 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Diving, Hunting, Tailgating and Grilling.

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

How is the concrete board holding up inside the burn chamber?
-Jordan

2004 Jenn Air 720-0063
5 main burners
1 Rotisserie burner
Sear Burner Mod October 2008
Custom Fit 7' Long Grill Cover

Perfect Flame Vertical Propane Smoker

#6 User is offline   George 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

View PostREELKEEN, on Apr 13 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

How is the concrete board holding up inside the burn chamber?

Not any problem at all. There is barely a mark on it (burnwise) and there are no odors, at least not since the burn-in. I was amazed that the fire at burn-in was so hot that it melted the heavy aluminum grate that you see in the picture. The aluminum must have been mixed with some other alloy. I hope it was not lead or other toxic metal. I can't belive that it got hot enough in there to melt aluminum. Anyway, I'm removing the remnant and replacing with steel. George

#7 User is offline   George 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

View PostGeorge, on Apr 13 2009, 04:55 PM, said:

Not any problem at all. There is barely a mark on it (burnwise) and there are no odors, at least not since the burn-in. I was amazed that the fire at burn-in was so hot that it melted the heavy aluminum grate that you see in the picture. The aluminum must have been mixed with some other alloy. I hope it was not lead or other toxic metal. I can't belive that it got hot enough in there to melt aluminum. Anyway, I'm removing the remnant and replacing with steel. George

I have to revise that last response. Went out there to make a closer exam of the hardipanel insert. They are all cracked in the middle (cosswise) at the same place each. I think this is more a function of my having jammed and pounded them in there. They were all under pressure. I should have foreseen that, but what the heck. So far they look like they will stay for a while anyway.

#8 User is offline   jigfish86 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

George-

Looks great! I just finished mine as well and I will tell you that I agree with the tediousness statement. It was so hard finding the different parts and I felt like every time I turn around I was spending 50 bucks. Adding gas and all in, I could have probably bought one. But it was worth it to build something that will do what you want even better than you want it. So I can't complain. Great work and I'm sure it was a wonderful hassle!

In Christ,
Jonathan

#9 User is offline   George 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

View Postjigfish86, on Apr 21 2009, 08:51 PM, said:

George-

Looks great! I just finished mine as well and I will tell you that I agree with the tediousness statement. It was so hard finding the different parts and I felt like every time I turn around I was spending 50 bucks. Adding gas and all in, I could have probably bought one. But it was worth it to build something that will do what you want even better than you want it. So I can't complain. Great work and I'm sure it was a wonderful hassle!

In Christ,
Jonathan

That's right Jonathan. I could have bought a fully automatic, top of the line, Bradley electric smoker for what I spent, not counting the copper tank that I already had and the lower barrel that I got for free. I did go stainless and aluminum on all items I could. (The theory being that if the furnace barrel burns out I can replace that and keep the top indefinitely.) Even so, the Vogelzang bill is nearly $200.
I do like looking at this item better than I would a Bradley though and it works to perfection. I can keep the heat within 25 deg. with just a slight adjustment in the vent and I can adjust a spike or fall in temperature within a minute even after opening the top to work on the food.
Would like to see a picture of your unit.
I made some ribs on mine last weekend that turned out magnificent. Took some pictures too but I won't upload them until I figure out how to reduce the size. (Don't want to be scolded.) :) I used the 2-1-1 method. I will say that the ribs looked and felt done after the first two hours as I placed them in foil. Are we over-cooking baby backs when we keep them in for 4 hours? Any comments? George

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users