BBQ Source Forums: To cover or not to cover (that is the question)... - BBQ Source Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To cover or not to cover (that is the question)...

#1 User is offline   thbrewst 

• PipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

OK, I have searched and read, but could not find a consensus...should the Summit S series grills be covered or not? I live in Atlanta metro so humidity is an issue, but we only get a 'typical' amount of rain. Should I leave it uncovered in the summer months (most humid) and then cover it for the winter?

Also, (assuming that the recommendation is to cover it) I have seen the complaints about the 'vented' grill covers from Weber. Is there a better aftermarket cover? Are the vented covers all gone and now they have fixed the problem?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

#2 User is offline   L Lehew 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

You definitely should cover it. I really like the one I have, but there is a bit of a design flaw. There are vents in the front panel behind the burner control knobs. Behind that is metal that slopes from front to back. The effect is that rain will enter the vents and be routed into the drip pan below the burners. From there it goes into the grease collection pan. If you get much rain, it will overflow the collection pan and the mixture of grease and water will run into the bottom inside the cabinet under the grill.

It doesn't damage the grill, but it can create a bit of a mess.

#3 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

View Postthbrewst, on Jul 24 2009, 12:06 PM, said:

OK, I have searched and read, but could not find a consensus...should the Summit S series grills be covered or not? I live in Atlanta metro so humidity is an issue, but we only get a 'typical' amount of rain. Should I leave it uncovered in the summer months (most humid) and then cover it for the winter?

Also, (assuming that the recommendation is to cover it) I have seen the complaints about the 'vented' grill covers from Weber. Is there a better aftermarket cover? Are the vented covers all gone and now they have fixed the problem?

Do not cover the grill.
The humidity will keep the cover wet which will keep the grill wet.
Without a cover the humidity is not an issue.

I no you dont but for those who live in the desert
You have to cover your grill
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2014 Traeger Jr Smoker
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law

Go RavensPosted Image

Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS

#4 User is offline   jowilker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

If I can pitch my two pennies in, I run across several grills yearly, about 20 so far this year. One can tell a difference in a grill left out in the elements, one kept covered, and one kept sheltered in a garage or porch.

I bought a 20 year old Green top earlier this year that was garage kept that the wood was dirty but still in excellent condition.

People will buy good looking Weber grills.

John
In the cool quit still hours of night you can hear chineez steel rusting away.

#5 User is offline   bandman 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

I asked this exact same question a few weeks ago. Here is a link to the answers that came up in that thread. I asked Weber CS this question and the answer given to me was that if the grill is under a cover (as is mine) that I should cover it in the winter, but not in the summer. I was also told that if I called back and asked the same question to a different CS agent that the answer might be different.

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...amp;#entry44394

I have decided to NOT cover my grill because I use it everyday, and twice a day on weekends. I live in Louisiana where is it very hot and we like to cook outdoors to keep the heat out of the house. Our humidity is super high, so covering it would also catch the humidity against my grill. Those two put together mean the best thing for me is to not cover the grill.
2009 Summit S-650 Propane Grill

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^||| ____
|Let's go to the Beach! |''|";\____
|_..._..._________===|=||__|__|,,,]
"(@)'(@)"""""""''' |(@ )(@ ) ````(@)

#6 User is offline   jowilker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

I don't disagree bandman, I don't keep the cover on mine like I should, but I do store it under the car port.

I also think one of the biggest issues inside the box is folk leaving food on their grates and flavorizer bars.

It's not the short term but long that I notice. It's the rusted bolts & frame butt joints, the metal brackets that hold the slatted side and bottom tables.

I sometimes pick up a grill that looks pretty decent, start cleaning the grates to find rust and rot under the built up gunk.

I run across at least one grill a year that is rotted to bad to fix and take it apart for parts. Has to be from neglect.

These are things that I encounter recycling Webers. Most of the ones that I see are 10 or more years old.

Cover or no cover is debatable, but keeping one out of the rain and sun has to add life to it.

John

#7 User is offline   70chevelle 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Cooking, Mountain Biking, Weightlifting, Woodworking, Muscle Cars, Vintage Garden Tractors, A Cure for OCD!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

I sold my 12+ year old Weber Genesis Silver that spent all but 1 of those years outside, year round, in the elements (no roof). It was covered after each use. When I sold it, I cleaned it up and it looked almost brand new. I also cover my '06 JA after each use. It's kept my JA looking new and working well for the past 3 years and if it's not covered in the rain, the drip tray fills with water. Both covers are vented and this is in the humid summers and snowy winters of western PA. YMMV!
Weber Genesis Silver B
Jenn-Air 3 Burner NG (730-163) with Rotisserie burner, Side burner, & Rotisserie
Ultra Sear
Big Green Egg (Large) with platesetter
Outdoor Wood Fired Oven

#8 User is offline   jowilker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

View Post70chevelle, on Jul 27 2009, 10:48 AM, said:

I sold my 12+ year old Weber Genesis Silver that spent all but 1 of those years outside, year round, in the elements (no roof). It was covered after each use. When I sold it, I cleaned it up and it looked almost brand new. I also cover my '06 JA after each use. It's kept my JA looking new and working well for the past 3 years and if it's not covered in the rain, the drip tray fills with water. Both covers are vented and this is in the humid summers and snowy winters of western PA. YMMV!

Boss I am just relaying what I have observed, no more.

John

#9 User is offline   Iocol 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

View Postthbrewst, on Jul 24 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

I was going to pick up the Weber cover but it has the vents on the two sides (Summit S series). I ended up getting the aftermarket one that fits the same but doesn't have the vents on either ends (we get a lot of rain and I don't water leaking in).

#10 User is offline   bth_nc 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

View PostIocol, on Jul 27 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

I was going to pick up the Weber cover but it has the vents on the two sides (Summit S series). I ended up getting the aftermarket one that fits the same but doesn't have the vents on either ends (we get a lot of rain and I don't water leaking in).

I ordered a new weber summit cover and it doesn't have the vents. It may be luck, though, depending on which stock you get.

I personally think covering it is a good idea in most places. For moisture to be an issue, moisture has to be present to begin with. If the grill is wet and you cover it, yes, moisture may be a problem. But if the grill is dry, covering it isn't a problem and protects it from the elements. There's enough airflow by keeping the cover loose.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

#11 User is offline   LogicBomB 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

As was already mentioned, the Summit series will leak into your drip pan. Even normal amounts of rain will overflow it easily and cause a greasy mess in the bottom of your grill.

Cover it when rain is in the forecast.

#12 User is offline   shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Feeding Alice: A Love Story now available. Please visit my web site.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

I have the Summit cover with the vents on each end.

Although rain does come through the vents, all that gets wet are the two side trays, one of which has the burner beneath the tray cover. I have never gotten any rain water in the burner area itself as the cover seems to seal it well.

Not a big deal to wipe down the sides when the cover is removed.

Never any water in the grease tray.

The only problem I have had with the cover is that the cotton stitching around one of the vents deteriorated so that it came undone. Luckily, my wife was able to sew it up better than new with a weather resistant thread.

Shelly
FE PG500 pellet grill with charbroiler
Weber 2008 Summit S-470
My Cookbook--Feeding Alice: A Love Story
Past Grills: Tec Cherokee Fr IR, GMG DB pellet grill, Big Green Egg, UltraSear IR, Masterbuilt Smoker, Old Smokey, New Brunsfeld Smoker, Weber Genesis 1000, Sears Crossray IR, Fuego Element, Weber Kettle

#13 User is offline   70chevelle 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Cooking, Mountain Biking, Weightlifting, Woodworking, Muscle Cars, Vintage Garden Tractors, A Cure for OCD!

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

View Postjowilker, on Jul 27 2009, 04:51 PM, said:

Boss I am just relaying what I have observed, no more.

John

John - I didn't intend to direct my post at you, sorry if you took it that way. I just posted my experience in answer to the original posters question "To cover or not to cover (that is the question)"

All - I don't believe there is a definitive right or wrong answer just what has worked or not. The issue is very climate and geographically sensitive IMHO.
Weber Genesis Silver B
Jenn-Air 3 Burner NG (730-163) with Rotisserie burner, Side burner, & Rotisserie
Ultra Sear
Big Green Egg (Large) with platesetter
Outdoor Wood Fired Oven

#14 User is offline   marc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

why do you not call weber and asked for their opinion
Weber Genesis EP320

#15 User is offline   homebrew 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Boating,fishing,camping,and cars.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

View Postmarc, on Jul 28 2009, 03:11 PM, said:

why do you not call weber and asked for their opinion

Because you will get a different opinion depending on who you talk to, believe me.
Genesis 1000 Red head
Genesis EP320 Green head
Performer Red head
Smokey Joe Black head
Basset Hound "Montey"
Misc. cats "Spencer" the Maine Coon
1986 Corvette
1966 Mustang
And a whole lotta other stuff that I really don't need and probably paid too much money for

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users