Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting Charcoal to Gas

#1 User is offline   PlatMan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

I am new to this forum, but I have a question for anyone out there who could help. I have two Weber charcoal grills. I am thinking about trying to convert one to a LP grill so I can build a "cart" in which I could put both of them into and have the luxury of a charcoal and a gas grill. Has anyone ever heard of doing this? Any plans on how to convert one of the Webers to a gas grill?

If I am out of my BBQ mind, someone please tell me, because I can really see this in my mind's eye. Thanks for any help, directions or suggestions.

#2 User is offline   Ronald 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

View PostPlatMan, on Jan 4 2010, 09:50 AM, said:

I am new to this forum, but I have a question for anyone out there who could help. I have two Weber charcoal grills. I am thinking about trying to convert one to a LP grill so I can build a "cart" in which I could put both of them into and have the luxury of a charcoal and a gas grill. Has anyone ever heard of doing this? Any plans on how to convert one of the Webers to a gas grill?

If I am out of my BBQ mind, someone please tell me, because I can really see this in my mind's eye. Thanks for any help, directions or suggestions.

Welcome PlantMan
You mean well , but yes you are out of your mind :)
Not really
But what you want to do cant be done charcoal to gas. You can however go the other way.
The reason you cant go charcoal to gas is because of how Weber gas grills are made. You could do it without Weber parts but that would really be a waste.
What you might want to do however is get a Weber Q 200 series grill and put that in a cart to be next to your charcoal grill.

If you didnt have a grill at all then I would tell you to get a Char-Broil Duo grill.
It is actually designed to be a charcoal grill on one side, a gas grill on the over side and it also has a real full size smoker chamber to boot

http://www.chargriller.com/store/product_i...;products_id=29
SUPPORT THE BBQ SOURCE

2008 Weber Spirit SP320 + Weber Cast Iron Griddle
2014 Traeger Jr Smoker
2012 Char-griller Akorn Steel Kamado
Coleman Roadtrip Sport grill
Happy owner of a Great Outdoors Ironware Gas Grill A05714W(a CFM company) retired to brother in-law

Go RavensPosted Image

Super Bowl XXXV, XLVII CHAMPIONS

#3 User is offline   Tubby's Smokehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Smoking/Grilling, Construction, Cross Country Racing, Billiards, Drummer.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

View PostPlatMan, on Jan 4 2010, 06:50 AM, said:

Im with Ronald, you most likely could find some internals from a LP grill and rig them into your weber. but it would be cheaper to just buy a good little grill and marry that up to your coal grill, the Weber Ronald mentioned is a great grill and has a fantastic warranty. then you could start brain storming some good grill recipes :)

jim
Ducane Meridian 5 Burner, IR Rotto, Dual Side Burners, Dual Electric Warming Drawers.
CookShack Amerique Electric Smoker.
Chargriller Pro Offset Smoker.
Charmglow IR Drop in Sear Burner
New Braunfels Fire Box.

Visit Don And The Gang Here At The Source on Facebook
http://www.facebook....103762139697620

#4 User is offline   brucered 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Family, Dog, Turntables (Vinyl), Camping, Canoeing, Fishing, Geocaching, BBQing, Woodworking, DE Shaving

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

charcoal is great. i got back into it this year and love it. my wife wonders why i had to buy a new NG BBQ if all we needed was a $10 Kijiji Kettle.

anyway, it's nice to have both. they are both great for different applications.
Vermont Castings VM448N 3 Burner Natural Gas Grill with Mica Blue Lid
Kamado Ceramic by Vision
Weber Bar-B-Kettle 22.5"
Weber Baby Q (Q100)

#5 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:09 AM

View PostPlatMan, on Jan 4 2010, 08:50 AM, said:

There is a product I have seen that are a set of rounded burners placed inside a weber kettle and effectively makes it a gas kettle. Darn if I can't remember where I saw these. Looked pretty cool though
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#6 User is offline   old_grouch 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

View Postunderthehood, on Jan 31 2010, 07:09 AM, said:

There is a product I have seen that are a set of rounded burners placed inside a weber kettle and effectively makes it a gas kettle. Darn if I can't remember where I saw these. Looked pretty cool though

this guy is located in south africa butt he has a product on the web to
convert the weber kettle to propain without drillin any holes

check out the video

www.gasbraai.co.za/

#7 User is offline   underthehood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Fishing, Cooking/Grillin' and Chillin', Wrenching on cars, Finding bargains. Enjoying my grand son.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

View Postold_grouch, on Jan 31 2010, 08:12 AM, said:

this guy is located in south africa butt he has a product on the web to
convert the weber kettle to propain without drillin any holes

check out the video

www.gasbraai.co.za/

Looks interesting but not the one I saw
Weber Owner
Summit 450, Genesis II (red top), Q220 (Red Top), Big Joe, 22" Kettle, Q140Electric (gave to dad), Ducane 2004, Wolf BBQ 36C

#8 User is offline   ILoveBarbecue 

• Pip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

View PostPlatMan, on Jan 4 2010, 10:50 AM, said:

Who in their right mind would want to go from charcoal to gas? Gas is what you use for a stove, not a grill ;)
Follow me on twitter at: ILoveBarbecue

Check out my All Things Barbecue Blog for any and all barbecue related content!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users