Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Low Propane Flow on start-up Low Propane Flow on start-up

#1 User is offline   BarbequeBob 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:28 PM

I need help on a problem I have recently had with two different grills, that being low propane flow when I start up the grills. A friend suggested that the problem may be caused by flow restrictors built into the 20# propane tanks, and that discontecting, then reconnecting the screw-on regulator fitting to the tank would soleve the problem. This in-fact, generally solves the problem but is a pain in the neck.

Normally when finished grilling, I turn off the gas valves on the grill first, then close the valve on the propane tank. On start-up, I open the valve on the tank then open the valve on the grill to light position and ignite.

Is this a common problem that I just missed somewhere along the line? Can anyone help with this?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

BarbequeBob, on May 11 2006, 09:28 PM, said:

Normally when finished grilling, I turn off the gas valves on the grill first, then close the valve on the propane tank.  On start-up, I open the valve on the tank then open the valve on the grill to light position and ignite.

Is this a common problem that I just missed somewhere along the line?  Can anyone help with this?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, welcome to the BBQ Source website.
I'm not 100% sure if there is a single good way to open the LP tank. All I can do is tell you how I do mine and I have not had this problem. I also use the Blue Rino tanks and have good luck with them even though others feel they have lower flow. My normal shutdown is to turn off the tank first, then the burner valves. When I go to use the grill I will very slowly open the tank valve and then the burners last. The key I believe is opening the LP tank valve as slow as you can. The flow restricter will set when it see rapped flow.

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#3 User is offline   takeahike66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

BarbequeBob, on May 11 2006, 01:28 PM, said:

I need help on a problem I have recently had with two different grills, that being low propane flow when I start up the grills.  A friend suggested that the problem may be caused by flow restrictors built into the 20# propane tanks, and that discontecting, then reconnecting the screw-on regulator fitting to the tank would soleve the problem.  This in-fact, generally solves the problem but is a pain in the neck. 

Normally when finished grilling, I turn off the gas valves on the grill first, then close the valve on the propane tank.  On start-up, I open the valve on the tank then open the valve on the grill to light position and ignite.

Is this a common problem that I just missed somewhere along the line?  Can anyone help with this?

Help would be greatly appreciated!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it is happen on two different grills, you may have a small leak somewhere in the line or a defective tank valve. SHutting off the value the way you did, is the correct way, based on several commerical web-site that discuss the correct order.
You might do a leak test where the hose connect to the tank. Any leakage in the line will prevent the flow-restrictor for setting, preventing the full flow of gas. Eric was correct is stating that it is also recommended to open the valve up slowly, maybe just one turn until the grill has been started, then open it a couple of more turns. Another suggestion, when opening the tank value, wait a few seconds for the flow-restrictor to set, before lighting the grill.
Takeahike66
---------------------------------------------------
JennAir - 720-150LP - 5 burner, Sep 05
Ultra-Sear Portable IR Grill Nov 07
Char Broil Big Easy Oiless Fryer
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker WTFA brand, Nov 08
---------------------------------------------------

----- Accessories -----
- Sears SS Island end modules (2) - BBQ Grillware LED Grill Lights (2)
- JennAir Rotisserie w/ extra splits - E-Z Que Rotisserie 8"
- Maverick ET-72 Remote probe - Maverick OT-03 Oven Thermometer for smoking

----- Modifications -----
- Utensil hooks (10) - Remove built-in smoker box
- Hood ventilation Gap Covers - Wok Holder for side burner
- Sunshine Griddle - Customized SS grates to fit Sunshine Griddle
- Custom fitted center divider mod - Marshall two-stage regulator
- Fitted Manometer in gas line - Custom smoking rack (Shelly design)
- Rotisserie storage using existing back bolts, also used to store warming rack & grate

#4 User is offline   killerdoberman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

I have had the problem a few times and it is cause by two things...at least in my case. The first problem is low a lack of pressure at startup and the second are spiders.

I...like you...turn my gas off first when I am finished. So, this is what I do to turn it on. Open the burner farthest away from he gas source. Turn on the gas about a 1/2 turn, count to 10, and turn off the burner. Wait 20-30 seconds and then light the burner furtherest away first. Working your way to the source one burner at a time. The spider webs wll burn off quickly once the temps get up. If the burner doesn't light, then it is time clean those spiders out with a piece of wire.

Try that.
Kenmore 16233 4-burner with IR Rotisserie
KAI-RO RŠucherspaβ - 14" Diameter Stainless Steel Vertical Smoker

#5 User is offline   Huckleberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

takeahike66, on May 11 2006, 07:24 PM, said:

If it is happen on two different grills, you may have a small leak somewhere in the line or a defective tank valve. SHutting off the value the way you did, is the correct way, based on several commerical web-site that discuss the correct order.
You might do a leak test where the hose connect to the tank. Any leakage in the line will prevent the flow-restrictor for setting, preventing the full flow of gas. Eric was correct is stating that it is also recommended to open the valve up slowly, maybe just one turn until the grill has been started, then open it a couple of more turns. Another suggestion, when opening the tank value, wait a few seconds for the flow-restrictor to set, before lighting the grill.

I had an issue with one tank that was painted and had paint on the valve connection which prevented a tight connection from the tank to the regulator. I cleaned off the paint with a brass brush and made sure to crank down the connection and the problem went away. Sometimes they get a little overzealous when painting the tanks on exchange programs.
"...I'm your Huckleberry"
Primo Oval XL
Large Big Green Egg
Weber Q200

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users