BBQ Source Forums: How do I replace the battery for the igniter? - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I replace the battery for the igniter?

#1 User is offline   pongky 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

Hi all, first time poster - I hope someone can help me, thanks in advance.

I have a member's mark (from sam's club I understand) bbq, a rather large one - 3 burners and 1 backburner, and 1 side burner - that doesn't want to auto-ignite anymore. I hear there is a battery compartment somewhere... for the life of me, I can't find it.

I got the unit used when I purchased this house, so I don't have the original instructions. It's such a great bbq, I'd just love to be able to auto-ignite it electronically becaus it's GRILLIN' SEASON!

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

pongky, on May 12 2006, 11:02 PM, said:

I hear there is a battery compartment somewhere... for the life of me, I can't find it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the BBQ Souce pongky!

I do not have your type of grill, however, most of the auto-light systems have the battery under the push-button. The push button will normally screw off and the battery kindof slides into it. It would help to have your model number to be sure.

I have atached two photos of a Members Mark 3 burner. Take a look. Item 33 is the ignitor knob and item 34 is the AA battery that goes behind the knob.

Glad to have you on the site and hope these photos help,

Eric D

[attachment=268:attachment] [attachment=269:attachment]
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#3 User is offline   pongky 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:48 AM

thanks for the welcome eric! I will take heed of what you say and check out the knob tomorrow. Though I don't recall seeing it or even touching it. It must be there. The grill pic even looks like my grill! If anything, I'll let you know either way if I get a new cell in there tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip (and pics).

#4 User is offline   pongky 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:51 AM

One concern though, eric, since you typed "push button" - I don't think mine has it (it's dark outside now to check) - how I ignite the gas burners is to turn the knob for each burner to the far right , past "hi" - so I would hold it on that right-most position until it clicks then ignites. What if I don't have a push-button? The igniter must be there somewhere, and if it houses a single AA battery, it could be tricky to find... it must be under the knobs though.

#5 User is offline   hardrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:38 AM

pongky, on May 12 2006, 07:02 PM, said:

Hi all, first time poster - I hope someone can help me, thanks in advance.

I have a member's mark (from sam's club I understand) bbq, a rather large one - 3 burners and 1 backburner, and 1 side burner - that doesn't want to auto-ignite anymore.  I hear there is a battery compartment somewhere... for the life of me, I can't find it. 

I got the unit used when I purchased this house, so I don't have the original instructions.  It's such a great bbq, I'd just love to be able to auto-ignite it electronically becaus it's GRILLIN' SEASON!

Thanks!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey pongky,

If you will look for my posting under Members Mark - 52in. propane grill, I have some pictures of that grill. The auto-ignite battery's are under 2 small chrome caps that unscrew to access the battery's. The caps are to the left and right of the 2 center burner knobs.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Members Mark 52" SS

#6 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

hardrock, on May 13 2006, 12:38 PM, said:

If you will look for my posting under Members Mark - 52in. propane grill, I have some pictures of that grill. The auto-ignite battery's are under 2 small chrome caps that unscrew to access the battery's. The caps are to the left and right of the 2 center burner knobs.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a LINK to Bill's photos of his grill.

Wow Bill! That really is a sharp looking unit. It looks like you have a number of grills in the photos. That's pretty cool. :D

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#7 User is offline   pongky 

• Pip

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:48 AM

View PostEric D, on May 13 2006, 10:18 PM, said:

Here is a LINK to Bill's photos of his grill.

Wow Bill! That really is a sharp looking unit. It looks like you have a number of grills in the photos. That's pretty cool. :D

Eric D

^ Yea that grill is AWESOME.. I'm surprised you could even get it off the truck =P

Anyway, just wanted to update you guys, thanks for the tip. I changed out the AA battery from the unscrewable battery housing cap on the lower lip of the knob panel, and put it back in. At first I was worried because it wouldn't electronically ignite, but after a few tries and tightening of the cap, it worked again flawlessly. Good bye lighter gun!

#8 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

View Postpongky, on May 21 2006, 10:48 AM, said:

Anyway, just wanted to update you guys, thanks for the tip. I changed out the AA battery from the unscrewable battery housing cap on the lower lip of the knob panel, and put it back in. At first I was worried because it wouldn't electronically ignite, but after a few tries and tightening of the cap, it worked again flawlessly. Good bye lighter gun!
Pongky,

Glad to hear you are sparking once again! How long did the first battery last? Thinking about it, the rotisserie burner on my Jenn Air still has the original battery for the igniter. Maybe I should replace mine too. The grill is about two and half years old now.

Happy grilling,

Eric D :D
BBQSource Forums

#9 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

View PostEric D, on May 21 2006, 06:58 AM, said:

Pongky,

Glad to hear you are sparking once again! How long did the first battery last? Thinking about it, the rotisserie burner on my Jenn Air still has the original battery for the igniter. Maybe I should replace mine too. The grill is about two and half years old now.

Happy grilling,

Eric D B)

Thanks for reminding me to change out the battery...
My old Y0101 32" Grill needed a battery after 4 years, but two burners would not light...but they would light if the middle burner was lit..lol Well I pulled out all my grates and ceramic deflectors and the support. Then just twisted the burners at the back by the ignitor...which was arcing ok..The holes in the burner were rusted shut. I used a numbered drill that fit the good holes and redrilled those plugged ones on two burners...Tried them and pop they lit everytime..No gas was flowing inside the ignitor box on the burners..My side burner has a piezo effect ignitor built in the valve..
My burners are rusted bad...I pulled about an 1/8" layer of rust off of the top..and the end seats are almost gone..I will try to see if M&M has ss steel replacements..Has anyone replaced the old cast with ss burners...What did it cost?
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users