BBQ Source Forums: Cleaning your Jenn-Air Stainless Steel Grill - BBQ Source Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cleaning your Jenn-Air Stainless Steel Grill Keep It Easy!

#1 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

After seeing a number of photos in the forums of grills of others and how clean they are, I was embarrassed into cleaning mine. After grilling I use the high heat burn-off and wet brass brush to clean grates. However, at least once a year I do my super clean. I spray down with oven cleaner, soak over night, scrape the bigger stuff into the drip pan using a putty knife, remove the drip pan, the grates, burn covers, the burners and then I firer up my power washer and go at it. I washed the burners down and cleared the crossover slots with a hacksaw blade.

This is the before photos
[attachment=278:attachment] [attachment=279:attachment]
This is the after photos
[attachment=280:attachment] [attachment=281:attachment]

I would also like to point out to new JA owners, a write up by Jon. He covers in detail how to keep your grill looking its best with very little effort on your part. Jon's Write Up

I feel a little stupid after clean my older 2004 model. I know I have posted that my hood was a single layer of stainless steel. Well, after clean the hood with the rest of the grill I can tell you now for sure, mine has a double wall hood! Must be the old age creeping into my memory cells.

Happy Grilling,

Eric D :D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#2 Guest_bearhug_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

Day and night day and night

#3 User is offline   dwost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Masters
  • Interests:
    European cars, skiing, home theater, landscaping, home remodeling, gardening, kayaking, boating anything outdoors!!!

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

Eric, looks great. I just did mine this weekend as well. I didn't powerwash it but did vacuum it out and then scraped it clean with a metal scraper. I personally don't like to use any cleaning agents on the grates or around the bottom as I don't want anything interfering with the taste. I'm not sure this is really an issue since you pressurwashed it though. I may have to give mine a blast seeing how nice yours looks!!! :(

Speaking of Jon, I wonder how he's doing. It's been a while since we've heard from him. Jon if you are still with us, stop in and say hello!!

Don
Don

2004 Jenn-Air 720-0061 (3 burner)

Modifications

- cast SS burners
- upper/lower removable vent mod
- NG conversion: upgraded to 54,000 btu
- utensile hooks, rotisserie storage, internal rack, paper towel holder
- Nexgrill griddle

#4 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Things I like and have interest in are: Grilling with my Jen-air 720-0061-LP grill. Smoking all types of meat on my Great Outdoors LP smoker unit for family and friends. I like working on and flying aircraft, fixed wing and rotor wing. The best dog for me is a Doberman.<br /><br />I have fun here, at the BBQ Source Forums with all the great grilling, smoking and cooking, plus all the great people.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:37 AM

View Postdwost, on May 15 2006, 12:24 PM, said:

Speaking of Jon, I wonder how he's doing. It's been a while since we've heard from him. Jon if you are still with us, stop in and say hello!!

Yes, I was wondering the same thing about Jon. I know he left a post the middle of last month. With grilling season here I'll bet he will be back so.

The power washing rinses everything down pretty good (including me). I normally will fire the grill up after the cleaning and run it up to temp for a while. Let it cool down and wipe it down with a damp cloth before cooking on it.

Glad to see you have your spring cleaning completed. Time to start cooking!

Eric D
Grilling and cooking for friends and family is one of life's most treasured gifts!
BBQSource Forums

#5 User is offline   dwost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    European cars, skiing, home theater, landscaping, home remodeling, gardening, kayaking, boating anything outdoors!!!

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

View PostEric D, on May 15 2006, 09:37 AM, said:

Yes, I was wondering the same thing about Jon. I know he left a post the middle of last month. With grilling season here I'll bet he will be back so.

Eric D

Thats right, I do remember reading his post. Well, hopefully he will chime in soon with an update.
Don

2004 Jenn-Air 720-0061 (3 burner)

Modifications

- cast SS burners
- upper/lower removable vent mod
- NG conversion: upgraded to 54,000 btu
- utensile hooks, rotisserie storage, internal rack, paper towel holder
- Nexgrill griddle

#6 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:21 PM

View PostEric D, on May 13 2006, 08:24 PM, said:

After seeing a number of photos in the forums of grills of others and how clean they are, I was embarrassed into cleaning mine. After grilling I use the high heat burn-off and wet brass brush to clean grates. However, at least once a year I do my super clean. I spray down with oven cleaner, soak over night, scrape the bigger stuff into the drip pan using a putty knife, remove the drip pan, the grates, burn covers, the burners and then I firer up my power washer and go at it. I washed the burners down and cleared the crossover slots with a hacksaw blade.

This is the before photos
Attachment attachment Attachment attachment
This is the after photos
Attachment attachment Attachment attachment

I would also like to point out to new JA owners, a write up by Jon. He covers in detail how to keep your grill looking its best with very little effort on your part. Jon's Write Up

I feel a little stupid after clean my older 2004 model. I know I have posted that my hood was a single layer of stainless steel. Well, after clean the hood with the rest of the grill I can tell you now for sure, mine has a double wall hood! Must be the old age creeping into my memory cells.

Happy Grilling,

Eric D B)

:D Well Eric, I keep a small plastic bucket of pool water available ...and when I finish grilling my food I dip my copper brush in the water then scrub my hot dirty grates too.. Use lots of water and it steam cleans those hot grate and your brush!...After 4 years I finally did put all three of my grates in a plastic bag and poured a bottle of household ammonia on top of them and tied the stinking bag with twisties..left for two days and pressure washed them
and they came out with new life...I imagine the oven cleaner works too..Less smell...but ammonia is a srrong base for cutting grease.. :D

I did not discover the water scrub on the hot grates until a couple of years ago, so they will stay cleaner in the future.. :)
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

#7 User is offline   Grill4Fun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

Nice one Eric. My "new" grill now resembles your BEFORE pictures. Glad I took lots of pictures of it before I ever fired it up :P Gonna have to do a major cleaning soon. :(
Jim
JennAir 730-0165-NG

#8 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

View PostGrill4Fun, on Sep 5 2006, 03:36 PM, said:

Nice one Eric. My "new" grill now resembles your BEFORE pictures. Glad I took lots of pictures of it before I ever fired it up :P Gonna have to do a major cleaning soon. :(
Jim,

It is always fun for me to rediscover what my grill looks like after cleaning. I know there are some that fear cleaning will affect the flavor off the grill. I have not found this to be the case. The other thing it did for me, I have no fear of getting the grill dirty as I now know I can make it look almost as good as new with a simple cleaning.

Keep the grill hot!

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#9 User is offline   oillogger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Computers, Technology, Christian Music, BBQing, and Biking (a fading past time).

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

So much for "last year's ashes is this year's flavor". :P

Always let the Son shine thru.

Hibachi Double Steak Burner 1976 - Raccoons stole it in 1979. No regrets.
CharBroil Lava Rock Wonder 1978 - The piece of garbagge died in 1982 and went somewhere other than BBQ Heaven. See ya.
Cajun Cooker from Wilsons 1982 - Still a kicking but in the retirement home as the GOSM took the smoking helm.
Thermos Lava Rock Wonder 1985 - Died in 1990 and also went somewhere other than BBQ Heaven. No love lost here.
Weber Gensis 1994 - Died a faithful death in 2006. Currently resting peacefully in BBQ Heaven. Miss you dear old friend.
Jenn-Air/Nexgrill, 720-0061-LP, 3 burner, 45K BTU from Lowes July 27, 2004
GOSM Big Block, June 2006
Ultra-Sear, December 25th, 2007

#10 User is offline   Grill4Fun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Grill Mates

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

Eric:

One last thought about cleaning, the infrared burners. Do you cover or somehow protect them from the Easy Off and pressure washer ??
Jim
JennAir 730-0165-NG

#11 User is offline   Eric D 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

View PostGrill4Fun, on Sep 5 2006, 05:40 PM, said:

One last thought about cleaning, the infrared burners. Do you cover or somehow protect them from the Easy Off and pressure washer ??
Very good question. I don't have the sear burner in my older Jenn Air 270-0061 3 burner. If I did, I would remove the burner before cleaning the rest of the grill.

Thanks for the question,

Eric D
BBQSource Forums

#12 User is offline   Old Bill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    Grilling, BBQ and smoking, Sausage making &amp; smoking, and curing and drying meat, <br /><br />Fishing, hunting, and woodworking...

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

View PostEric D, on Sep 5 2006, 07:48 PM, said:

Very good question. I don't have the sear burner in my older Jenn Air 270-0061 3 burner. If I did, I would remove the burner before cleaning the rest of the grill.

Thanks for the question,

Eric D

Right Eric...Remember the guy that wrote the first conversion article said he nearly ruined his infrared burner with a regular hose spray nozzle...it was removing some of the ceramic...and he suggested to remove the grates before cleaning or covering the burner for protection..He said they were very fragile. :rolleyes:
2002 Members Mark Y0101-XC LP Grill
3 Cast Iron 18K burners
Replacement solid 304 SS-Grates
10K BTU Rotisserie
Cast Iron Grate Size Fry Pan
Installed a infrared 33k Side Burner and shelf.
Redi-Smoke electric smoker (Old Smokey)
New Braunsfel Smoker
LPG Fish fryer
Portable IR Burner (Academy)
Sausage electric smoker
Two Lower Cabinets
Added heavy duty spit and rotisserie motor for 35 lbs. of meat!

#13 User is offline   Jon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:
    software<br />martial arts<br />music

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

View Postdwost, on May 15 2006, 08:24 AM, said:

Eric, looks great. I just did mine this weekend as well. I didn't powerwash it but did vacuum it out and then scraped it clean with a metal scraper. I personally don't like to use any cleaning agents on the grates or around the bottom as I don't want anything interfering with the taste. I'm not sure this is really an issue since you pressurwashed it though. I may have to give mine a blast seeing how nice yours looks!!! :P

Don

Hey Don, Eric et al -

Still around -- just haven't made it here in a while. A friend at work just ran into problems with a burner not lighting, I thought of spider webs and venturi tubes, remembered the site and sent him here. Then I started searching the site again and realized it's been a long time since I was here! I hope you've all been well.

BTW: Just fired up my Jenn Air again a few days ago for the first time this season. It's got to be over 4 years old now, and still works beautifully. If I have a few hours one weekend I should really strip it down and clean out the grease tray and brush off the burner cover (drip deflector?), and also clean out the inside cabinet where the tank sits -- a bit dusty, grass clippings that drifted in, and a couple of webs in the back corner -- but for the most part, it looks great.

The lighter on one burner isn't working -- I need to try cleaning that, or replace the piezo sparker / igniter (have to see what's involved, since it's not push button, but instead something that's part of the gas control on this model). But when I fire up the left or center burner, the right burner simply lights from those so it's not an issue (except that I like ALL parts of my grill to work!).

After all this time: the stainless steel grid still cleans up easily with the wet wire brush technique -- and the all stainless grill housing still looks new - what a pleasure after all those years using a cheaper grill that rusted out and needed replacement every year or two.

I was also pleased to note that I'm seeing temps in the 550 degree range with no effort (doesn't hurt that the weather has been in the 90's -- no cold wind to cool down the grill!). One day, if I'm sufficiently ambitious, I'd like to try to mod drilling out the gas jets to try for something closer to 700 degrees...

Back to work now... I'll be visiting again soon...

Best,
Jon
- Jon

2005 Jenn-Air (Lowes / Nexgrill) 720-0061
(new as of Memorial Day '05)
Princeton Jct, NJ

http://www.stronggroup.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic